Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM

25,355 posts, read 13,575,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Secondly, no debit card I know offers any rewards program so why in the world would you use them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but my Wells Fargo card does have rewards...I can only use as credit and need to sign, plus show ID in most cases...I write a check rarely, credit cards are for emergencies only...I have online banking, write each deduction in my check register and have full control of my accout...I have no extra fees, and does not matter if I use my card or a check, but with the card I get the rewards...
Granny is right, some of them do have rewards. Even though most, or maybe all?, don't have the different types or the higher rewards that a credit card may offer, rewards are rewards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,464,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
This issue of banks using debit cards as a profit centre is a sensitive subject to me also. I have a son who is still trying to make his way in life and he rang up around 14 overdraft charges in the space of 4-5 weeks. He never checked his balance online, and the bank corresponded with him by LETTER, which takes a while, eh?

The overdraft charges started at $25 and quickly ran up to $39 before I was alerted by a relative who had a check from my son bounce. Basically, the son had let his balance get down below $0, and then EACH time he used the debit card (for $3-6 purchases), the bank hit him with a $25-39 fee!! I was so angry, both at him and the bank. I called him and chewed him out, and then called the bank. The bank manager said, "We sent him a letter as per our policy, blah blah blah....". In the end, I got my son to call the manager and ask to remove a few charges, which they did (four only). It was, basically, a $300 lesson to my son in money management.
You can also check balances at your banks ATM.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 PM

14,417 posts, read 22,667,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I
Using a debit card is bad in the first place because you don't want to expose your checking account to fraud using a CC# (almost all debit cards these days also function as a VISA/MC), the protections aren't there. If a theif pulls out all the funds out of your account you are going to be in a lot of trouble. Secondly, no debit card I know offers any rewards program so why in the world would you use them?
Well, you are wrong on all counts. I have had 2 banks in the last 10 years. US-Bank and USAA .
Once my US Bank debit card was stolen and charged around $300.00. Us Bank fraud department contacted me that same night without me even knowing it was gone. They refunded me the same night also.
Another time somebody, a cashier, decided to help her-self to a tip on my card at a coffee shop. That too was refunded right away.
With my latest bank, USAA, we have had a couple of incidents with our debit card and no problem this time either.

My debit card with US Bank earned me sky-miles and my current debit card with USAA also earns me cash rewards.

So I guess that all depends on your bank.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 PM

14,417 posts, read 22,667,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
It doesn't matter how the debit card is used, it is not a credit card regardless of the logo on the card, and it will not have the same protections that a true credit card has.

wrong again

Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well, you are wrong on all counts. I have had 2 banks in the last 10 years. US-Bank and USAA .
Once my US Bank debit card was stolen and charged around $300.00. Us Bank fraud department contacted me that same night without me even knowing it was gone. They refunded me the same night also.
Another time somebody, a cashier, decided to help her-self to a tip on my card at a coffee shop. That too was refunded right away.
With my latest bank, USAA, we have had a couple of incidents with our debit card and no problem this time either.

My debit card with US Bank earned me sky-miles and my current debit card with USAA also earns me cash rewards.

So I guess that all depends on your bank.
I've often heard USAA is good about trying to protect their customers, in many aspects. It's nice to hear that US Bank appears to be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
wrong again
You post a two word disagreement without posting anything to back up what you say. What are you basing that statement on?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
"Except as provided in this section, a consumer incurs no liability from an unauthorized electronic fund transfer. "
Not long after you posted this Bob, I decided to email the FDIC to get their opinion on the matter. Unfortunately their response not only took a couple weeks, but the response itself was fairly inconclusive.

To begin, my email to them:

Greetings,

I am writing for clarification of FDIC 6500 TITLE IX § 909. (e) and Regulation E Section 205.6, 6(a) 3.

FDIC 6500 TITLE IX § 909. (e)
(e) Except as provided in this section, a consumer incurs no liability from an unauthorized electronic fund transfer.

Regulation E Section 205.6, 6(a) 3.
3. Limits on liability. The extent of the consumer's liability is determined solely by the consumer's promptness in reporting the loss or theft of an access device. Similarly, no agreement between the consumer and an institution may impose greater liability on the consumer for an unauthorized transfer than the limits provided in Regulation E.

Reading through FDIC 6500 Title IX § 909. and Reg. E Section 205.6, my interpretation is that any overdraft fees that may occur if an account is overdrafted due to theft are not covered. That the only covered amounts are the actual unauthorized electronic fund transfers, as long as a person informs the bank within the time allowed.

Though reading through the FDIC Statute and the Regulation E Section noted above, I have to wonder that if a person informs the bank within the time allowed, about unauthorized electronic fund transfers, then both the unauthorized funds and the possible resulting overdraft fees are covered under the laws and they are required by those laws to be refunded to that person.

I am requesting simple clarification on this.

If a person sees unauthorized EFT's and notifies the bank in the required time using the required methods, would that person:

A: Be refunded the unauthorized EFT amount and be refunded any possible overdraft fees that resulted from the theft.

Or

B: Be refunded the unauthorized EFT amount but not be refunded any possible overdraft fees that resulted from the theft. And/or any possible refund that person may see for the overdraft fees would be strictly up to the banks decision.

Thank you very much for your time,
berdee

The response I received from them (emphasis mine):

Dear berdee:
Thank you for contacting the FDIC with a question involving Regulation E. The FDIC's Division of Supervision and Consumer Protection (DSC) is responsible for enforcing federal consumer protection laws and regulations at various state-chartered banks. This office is a part of DSC. Non state-chartered banks and other financial institutions are regulated by other agencies.
The situation you describe concerning overdraft fees is not specifically described in the Regulation. However, the guidance under 205.6 (b) (1) states the consumer's liability is limited to $50 and appears to relate to the entire effects of the theft. Staff interpretations on Regulation E are available at the following link: <FDIC Law, Regulations, Related Acts - Consumer Protection>.
Some states may have stricter limitations regarding electronic fund transfers. Therefore, you may want to contact your state's banking regulator to determine if other limitations apply based on state law. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with contact information for the applicable state regulator because we are unable to determine which state is involved. Contact information on state agencies is available at www.usa.gov <USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal>.
If you wish to file a complaint against a particular financial institution, we need the complete name and location of the involved bank. We will then be in a position to assist you or refer your complaint to the appropriate regulatory agency that can provide assistance.
We hope this information is helpful. As part of our ongoing efforts to improve our service to the public, we would appreciate it if you would complete a short questionnaire on the level of service you received from this office. The questionnaire form can be accessed at <>.

Sincerely,
<name withheld>
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Division of Supervision and Consumer Protection
Consumer Response Center
2345 Grand Boulevard, Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64108
1-800-378-9581
Fax number 703-812-1020

Here is 205.6 (b) (1) that was discussed in their email:
6(b) Limitations on Amount of Liability
1. Application of liability provisions. There are three possible tiers of consumer liability for unauthorized EFTs depending on the situation. A consumer may be liable for (1) up to $50; (2) up to $500; or (3) an unlimited amount depending on when the unauthorized EFT occurs. More than one tier may apply to a given situation because each corresponds to a different (sometimes overlapping) time period or set of conditions.

"the guidance under 205.6 (b) (1) states the consumer's liability is limited to $50 and appears to relate to the entire effects of the theft." ... I don't see it where it appears to relate to the entire effects. *shrug*

Anyway, the issue is not specifically addressed in the Regs and to them it only appears (to possibly) be covered by that statute. So, I would imagine that basically it may fall under state laws and/or it may just be up to the bank to make the decision to refund any fees.

I am not posting this to start it back up with you Bob. My main objective in posting it is that if someone, who is reading this, is having to fight their bank to have the fees covered, they can use the info in the email to help them in looking up their states laws, file a complaint with the FDIC, etc.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM

28,123 posts, read 64,095,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
If you're overdrafting your account then you need to take a financial management course. There is no reason to overdraft an account unless you are just downright stupid. Tracking your expenses is your personal responsibility.

Using a debit card is bad in the first place because you don't want to expose your checking account to fraud using a CC# (almost all debit cards these days also function as a VISA/MC), the protections aren't there. If a theif pulls out all the funds out of your account you are going to be in a lot of trouble. Secondly, no debit card I know offers any rewards program so why in the world would you use them?

Debit cards were designed for idiots with no sense, people who cannot do the simple math of reconciling credit card statements and paying that balance in full.
The only reason I can think of is some credit unions require 10 uses of a Debit Card per month to get 3% checking account interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance