Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Years ago I read that we would have to pay capital gains tax on any profit made when we sold our house. And we could deduct certain improvements and expenses related to the house. So I have saved all my receipts toward that eventuality.

We bought a newer bigger house but kept our original home and have been renting it out for about 8 years. We intend to sell it in 2011 and I'm starting to organize my records for that.

Do I understand correctly that I can deduct improvements to the house from the profit we make on the sale, but not maintenance costs? If that is correct then I assume we can deduct improvements like adding ceiling fans, a covered patio, rain gutters and landscaping. How about mini-blinds and curtains?

We have had major expenses replacing the HVAC, repairing/replacing rotting wood, repainting and reroofing the house. Can any of that be deducted or is that maintenance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you have been renting out the property for 8 years, more or less continuously, without living there yourself, it is an investment property.

You should follow the rules for depreciation and adjust cost basis accordingly. You might want to consult with a professional tax advisor.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
move back into the house for two years and pay no taxes....

Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
move back into the house for two years and pay no taxes....
Actually, the IRS changed that law last year. If the now principal residence was previously a rental, you have to use a ratio to determine the capital gains exclusion. Don't have time to look it up at the IRS website, but here's a link to the article regarding the change

2009 Tax Law Change for Home Sales: Limited Exclusion on the Gain on the Sale of Homes | Suite101.com

To the OP: IMO you really need a tax professional to help you out with this one. I suggest an enrolled agent or CPA who specializes in individual taxation.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
You should have been deducting maintainance,repairs and other qualified expenses, including depreciation each year to offset the rental income.
What would be included as capital improvements is a different catagory.
Depreciation on the capital improvements and the building itself is handled differently.
From your questions it is obvious you need to go to a professional to assess your situation.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Thank you all for the feedback. I should have known it would be more complicated then I expected. I have been using an accountant to prepare our taxes since we began renting this property.
She has been deducting the appropriate costs and depreciating the property. I will discuss it with her further. We have owned the home for 28 years and rented it out only the last 8 years, so I have all of the receipts for improvements during that time. I was just trying to figure out how to organize it better.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 8,682 times
If i sele a mobil home in the mobil home park. I have to pay gain tax also?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,042 times
what if I sell my property and have a $50,000 gain ( that I have lived in less than 1 year) then purchase another property that cost more than i made?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Why are you asking us? I'd find a good accountant who understands this area thoroughly. Yeah, you'll pay some money in fees, but considering what you'll save in taxes and misery, it's well worth it.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Actually, the IRS changed that law last year. If the now principal residence was previously a rental, you have to use a ratio to determine the capital gains exclusion. Don't have time to look it up at the IRS website, but here's a link to the article regarding the change

2009 Tax Law Change for Home Sales: Limited Exclusion on the Gain on the Sale of Homes | Suite101.com

To the OP: IMO you really need a tax professional to help you out with this one. I suggest an enrolled agent or CPA who specializes in individual taxation.

The depreciation is recaptured as well from when it was a rental..

even if you didnt bother taking it while it was a rental you will have to pay it back . its the biggest error un-skilled landlords make,. they have to pay back something they never took and werent aware of the tax law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance