Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,793,116 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when filing separately might be better than filing jointly?

Our situation might be a bit odd... we each have > $100k in student loan debt, and we both own a home in our own names (we rent my house out and live in his). We each make about the same ($65k).

I noticed going through TurboTax that we were only getting to deduct about $1k of the $18k student loan interest we pay every year, and I'm wondering if it might be more beneficial to file separately.

Thanks

Last edited by tabbcat; 02-03-2009 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: i'm an idiot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,172,231 times
Why can't you use Turbo Tax to calculate filing separately and compare your final numbers??

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM

I suppose I could, but I didn't know if we had any tax experts on the board who knew off-hand.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:37 PM

412 posts, read 1,230,033 times
You cannot deduct the student loan interest at all if you file "Married Filing Separately". The maximum student loan interest deduction is $2,500, but yours is only $1,000 because your combined gross income is more than $110,000. It is NOT a tax "credit", but a deduction from income. In other words, you don't pay taxes on $1,000 of your gross income.

Overall the mortgage deduction should be the same no matter how you file. You can deduct mortgage interest for a first and second home, so you can deduct the items for both your house and your wife's all on the same tax return if you file jointly. If you decide to file separately, you can each deduct your own home interest. But since you rent out one of the houses, you will have to count the rent as income.

It is usually best to file jointly. I can't really think of any situation in which it is best to file separately. Maybe someone with more tax experience than me can enlighten us.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Wow, that really sucks. Thank you for letting me know!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:06 PM

For the rental house, you will be filing a Schedule E (Turbotax will walk you through all of it). You will be able to deduct a lot of expenses related to it, a lot more than just the mortgage interest.

Here is a link to some information:
Rental Income & Expenses - Tax Tips for IRS 1040 Schedule E - About.com

Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM

But I agree, it sucks. You paid $18K of student loan interest, and can only deduct $1K. I think that deduction was created when college was a lot cheaper. Since the deduction is so small compared to what you pay, I would aggressively pay that debt off (but pay off consumer debt first).

Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Married Filing Seperately is never advantageous to use, IMO.

When MFS, there are certain deductions and credits that you are not allowed you claim. And if one person itemizes, the other must itemize as well, even if they don't have enough itemized deductions to gain any benefit. Remember, when you MFS, you have to put your spouse's SSN on your form, and the IRS will verify that the spouse is filing the same way. A lot of people get in trouble that way. For all that trouble, file joint.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,950,599 times
The other thing with married filing separately is if one of you itemizes, the other has to, too--even if their itemizations are less than the standard deduction.

The only time I can think of where it would be advantageous is if one person makes significantly more than the other. Or if one person has expenses subject to income limitations. For example, if one person has deductible medical expenses (which are subject to the 7.5%). Then again if you're in a community property state, it gets even stickier.

I've rarely seen it worthwhile to file MFS.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,563,274 times
I am married filing separately and it stinks. My husband is a good man and an honest man but he has his own business [schedule C] and is an accounting nightmare. After a few years of fights over his shoebox accounting and filing late returns due to having to reconstruct lost paperwork, I decided to my own separately.

We keep all of our finances separate [e.g., the mortgage is in my name only - he pays other things] since he is schedule C he itemizes. Not ideal by a long shot but our marraige is healthy otherwise.

It DOES hurt; I cannot do an IRA on top of my other retirement, my taxes are a bit higher than they would be, etc. and I could not deduct college related costs for my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance