Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,367,704 times

Advertisements

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

I want to get my name taken off those pesky mailing lists. Yet another credit card application arrived in the mail today. I have no idea how they get my name as I am very careful with my information.

I'm sure someone out there has had the same problem.

BTW: Every piece of junk mail or paper with my address or personal info' on it I shred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 05:21 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,785,776 times
My boyfriend sends them back with the postage free envelope they provide saying not interested. I would try that and add a note, "take me off your mailing list".

Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,856,665 times
Here's a place that can give you the opt-out options you are looking for:

http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumerassistance.html

Old 03-08-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Credit cards

Well, after watching the news today, it looks like some of those credit cards companies are finally getting a slap on the wrist Maybe now they'll quit sending me all that cr*p in the mail!
Can you believe it .... while typing this a popup window from Citibank just invaded my monitor. I even have popup blocker

Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 PM

5,769 posts, read 11,399,777 times
Many magazines sell subscriber lists to marketing agencies. Most magazines besides generic news titles target specific interest groups. So anybody interested in selling stuff to a specific interest group goes in search of magazine subscription lists. If you ask a magazine to not sell or provide your name to any other company or organization, that would cut down on the circulation of personal info to mailing lists that you don't want to be on.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 AM

I don't even subscribe to any magazines, but thanks for the info'. Useful to know for the future.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,758,976 times
https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t That is run by the credit companies and will get you off prescreened credit card offers for 5 years. It has the phone number to call to get off permanently.

As for magazines, I usually sign up with a fake name. Rather than use Ruby Tuesday, I use Rachel Tuesday, Rebecca Tuesday, etc. This theory helps me presceen other junk mail. If it comes to Rachel or Rebecca, I know its someone who sold my name.

I had a brush with identiy theft several years back. Someone used my ssn to open up an ETrade account for money laundering. I thought it was taken care of at the time and never saw anything crazy on my credit. Five years later my brokarge canceled all my accounts and froze my assets over it. That took a lot of stress and lawyers fees to straighten out. Identity theft sucks!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,141,356 times
when I worked for a credit card company they told us the "hottest" mailing list to buy was blockbusters.
they were then able to target certian "demographics"
want 25 to 35 yr old men who watch action films no problem
40 to 50 yr old women who rent allot of romantic comidies no problem

I signed my husband and myself with the "opt out" and the junk mail has reduced greatly. Companies you do business with are still allowed to "send you offers"

Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times

To my knowledge most every state, county, and large city in this country allows the “record access” by anyone who cares to view them. Yes,,, when you are registered for voting I can view all the information about you. When you own or are buying a home I can view the information about you. Identity theft is running ramped and only a few states have passed laws to prevent others from viewing the records that they have on their citizens. In most cases the records are “sold” to companies who then access this information for a fee. Why can states, counties, and large cities allow this personal information to be sold, ~ because they make a buck with giving out your name address and personal information.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,441,286 times
Fighting ID theft: An alternative to Social Security numbers? - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance