Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

family of 5 seeking financial advice, full time college students, repossessed cars, living with parents, cannot find jobs, currently in RN program and do not want to drop out

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times

Advertisements

Geez, something needs to be done about student loans. This story is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 AM

250 posts, read 933,367 times
Well thank you for all of the replies, even the "not so nice ones." Apparently, some people only pick and choose what they want to read and make a ton of ASSUMPTIONS

For those you who read my others posts, did you also notice that there was a huge time frame that I didn't post at all?

And for those you assumed that we haven't been looking for job... of course we have! My husband and I have applied to every job out there; every McDonald's, Burger King, Factory, you name it, we've applied for it. Why would you assume we haven't? That doesn't even make sense to me that we wouldn't. But remember this is Michigan that we're talking about, there aren't a lot of options.

For those of you who said, what were we thinking having 3 children? Well when we decided to have them, my husband has a great job and we had no worries. But as I'm sure you all know, things can change at the drop of a hat. And they did for us. I have been going to school for quite some time now. That $90,000 includes $25,000 for trade school as well, not just an RN degree.

My husband's pay varied from $1,100 to $1,900 a month, depending how many deceased people he picked up per month (that's what his job entailed) I said $1,500 because that was the last amount he received.

It really saddens me that when I ask for advice, I get a bunch of people who start dogging on my kids! How does that help? It doesn't. So shame on you for even answering. Didn't your mother teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

How depressing. I am typically a positive person, but you know what? I'm done with City Data!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,431,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
And for those you assumed that we haven't been looking for job... of course we have! My husband and I have applied to every job out there; every McDonald's, Burger King, Factory, you name it, we've applied for it. Why would you assume we haven't? That doesn't even make sense to me that we wouldn't. But remember this is Michigan that we're talking about, there aren't a lot of options.
I'm not familiar with Michigan's job market, but it would seem odd that you couldn't secure any type of employment in over a year's time. Did you have stipulations on your applications that could turn off potential employers (availability, pay requirements, etc)?

Quote:
That $90,000 includes $25,000 for trade school as well, not just an RN degree.
What trade did your husband specialize in?

How close are each of you to completing your degree programs?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,431,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
This is going to sound sh--ty but Adoption sounds like a good plan.
I'm afraid that you vastly underestimated how lousy your "plan" sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Why can I say this? I have two young kids and my wife and I make about $60,000 a year in the midwest and still am not getting ahead. I can't even imagine facing a $90,000 debt.
But you could look your own kids in the eye and send them packing? I doubt it.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,377,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Geez, something needs to be done about student loans. This story is crazy.
Believe it or not, its VERY typical and you can bet your bottom dollar we are going to see FAR MORE stories like this. The economy is worsening and inflation is rising. Peoples pay will not keep up with the cost of living. They will have to pick up the slack some where

Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,377,955 times
Quote:
Well thank you for all of the replies, even the "not so nice ones." Apparently, some people only pick and choose what they want to read and make a ton of ASSUMPTIONS

For those you who read my others posts, did you also notice that there was a huge time frame that I didn't post at all?

For those of you who said, what were we thinking having 3 children? Well when we decided to have them, my husband has a great job and we had no worries. But as I'm sure you all know, things can change at the drop of a hat. And they did for us. I have been going to school for quite some time now. That $90,000 includes $25,000 for trade school as well, not just an RN degree.

My husband's pay varied from $1,100 to $1,900 a month, depending how many deceased people he picked up per month (that's what his job entailed) I said $1,500 because that was the last amount he received.

It really saddens me that when I ask for advice, I get a bunch of people who start dogging on my kids! How does that help? It doesn't. So shame on you for even answering. Didn't your mother teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

How depressing. I am typically a positive person, but you know what? I'm done with City Data!
I know exactly what your going through. i don't generally share my personal business but if it makes you feel any better. I have been doing network administration for the last decade. I have a degree in Business, one in International economics and one in Computer Science. I am well qualified and hard working. I have had a steady job and supported my needs since I was 18/19 years old (I am now in my 30s). Anyway, fast forward to 2000 and I am working at Lucent, all is lovely. We are making money hand over fist in telecom. 2001 comes and the bubble burst and I lost my job along with MOST of my friends (we were all in telecom/tech or self employed). I applied for jobs EVERYWHERE and so did my wife. For 1.5 years I had NO work. It was horrible and so I had to do some things (which I wont go into) in order to survive. I finally got a job in the education field (man that was a uphill battle to get into). Then three years from 2001 I was back in the I.T. field. It is tough, tough tough and it is going to strain your marriage and your personal well being. I just say hold your head, keep up your prayers and hopefully you guys have family you can maybe move in with and split bills or something. Fortunately the last recession didn't affect so many people. mostly us guys in tech and telecom. This time is a totally different story and we don't have a quick bubble to fix the problem like last time. I hope and pray you and your family come out on top. As for those with negative things to say they can kick rocks. It is very easy to judge something you yourself have not gone through.

This is the prime example of why people who come on here posting about how happy they are that the bubble burst or that gas prices will be high are foolish beyond belief. There will be more stories like that and it is going to hit much closer to home for a lot of people than last go round.

Also you can forget trying to do burger king. they are going to see your education and say "as soon as things get better your leaving" and they wont give you the time of day. I had that happen more times than I can even think of. Also, try your local union, see if they are bringing on people. With the economy going down though construction is low too but its worth a shot. Best of luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 AM

439 posts, read 1,233,089 times
I dont know of any restrictions on how many kids so long as it isnt some ungodly number or you are not a single parent. Just to throw some number at you if your husband has 59 college credits he can enlist as an E-3, and with that and a family size of 5 your monthly pay based on the Cont US average would be 3,219.31 or 38,631.75 a year, throw in free health care and your saving some money not to mention a bomus if he picks a certain job. I know it seems like tough job but I enjoy it and it would help you out a ton plus your serving your country. Here is the link to the military calculator if your intrested.
OSD Military Compensation Web Site

Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,945,479 times
Active duty restrictions are for 3 dependents. Spouse would be one, the children an additional 3. Due to the large amount of debt she has stated they have, the repos, the running out on the landlord, etc. they would be unlikely to get a waiver.

The Reserves may be another way though... their requirements are different.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,253,246 times
Speaking as a vet, the military in your case would be more a quick fix than anything else, and therefore, I would advise against it. The military is a life change and it requires dedication, commitment, and discipline. Couple that with trying to raise a family and you've got a very stressful situation.

Instead, you both need to find work on different shifts and stagger it that way. And I have a very hard time believing that you cannot find ANY type of employment whatsovever, Michigan or not, there are jobs out there, maybe not what you want, but they are there. And if your education is turning off employers like Burger King, then don't list it. My masters degree was preventing me from getting hired so I simply left it off my resume. Was I getting paid what I was worth? No. Did I get hired and get my foot in the door? Yes. Sometimes you do what you have to do until you can work your way up or circumstances change. Now I work for an employer who values my degree.

You need to approach this problem in chunks and pieces, not by some sweeping cure all military answer.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Is there a problem passing the drug screen? Nothing personal, I just called two guys back, after good interviews. They failed the drug test
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance