Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 03:23 PM

62 posts, read 43,667 times

Advertisements

CALIFORNIA - So I have a website which has picked up and starting to grow and earn more and more ad revenue every day. I have no other income/job besides making content for my site. As far as taxes, how should I proceed?

Can I just withdrawl my Adsense revenue to my personal bank account each month and report my yearly Adsense revenue as income on my taxes each year?

Or do I have to go as far as registering as a business and opening a business bank account and having the Adsense revenue withdrawn to there?

Tell me why or why not.. and everything else you think I should know... thanks!

Last edited by girlygirls32; 09-02-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 05:32 PM

34,285 posts, read 83,793,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirls32 View Post
..and everything else you think I should know... thanks!
Find a CPA. Pay that person for YOUR answers.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:36 PM

6,692 posts, read 7,473,956 times
You can operate as a sole proprietor - that is no special account and you use your social security number and report Federal income on Sch C of your 1040. You will have state tax also.

Probably have to pay your estimated tax quarterly so look up the rules.

I would open a separate account for all your income and expenses. Just makes accounting a lot easier. You will need to track all your income and expenses to do the tax returns.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,199,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirls32 View Post
CALIFORNIA - So I have a website which has picked up and starting to grow and earn more and more ad revenue every day. I have no other income/job besides making content for my site. As far as taxes, how should I proceed?
Because you have no other income, and cannot have additional taxes withheld as part of a salary, then you need to pay quarterly. If you wait to the end of the year, you risk paying additional penalties.

Quote:
Can I just withdrawl my Adsense revenue to my personal bank account each month and report my yearly Adsense revenue as income on my taxes each year?
Yes, you can do this, although as noted above, you should pay taxes quarterly.

Quote:
Or do I have to go as far as registering as a business and opening a business bank account and having the Adsense revenue withdrawn to there?
No, you do not need to do this.

Quote:
Tell me why or why not.. and everything else you think I should know... thanks!
The main advantage to creating a business is to shield personal assets from business liability. Creating content for a website seems pretty low risk (depending on content I guess), so it is probably ok to run this as a sole proprietor.

The main disadvantage to creating a business is additional paperwork. Sub(S) corps and LLCs require annual meeting with minutes. Although this requirement is largely ignored, but you could theoretically void your incorporation if you do not do these things. Really low risk, but still there. You also need to keep books for your business, and file taxes for the business, which then runs as a passthrough for your personal taxes. So it is a bit more complicated.

Why do you want to create a separate tax entity (aka business)?

Old 09-02-2020, 08:29 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,920,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Find a CPA. Pay that person for YOUR answers.
Why would you pay a CPA for your answers? That's ridiculous. OP, don't take this irrational advice.

Pay a CPA for THEIR answers to your questions.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:18 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,586,298 times
no need to register as a business because if you getting 1099 income is all being reported anyways and you'll need to file a schedule c business return. So your pick if you want to register as a llc or corporation, but not necessary.

in which case you benefit from being a business because you can deduct business expenses.

by the way, if you dont report your income, that's a super easy way that the IRS will come and slap an audit on you right before your statute of limitations expires, and you'll owe a TON of taxes, penalties and interest.

THEN

Commie state of california will piggyback on the IRS audit and slap you with a state audit, and you'll owe a TON of taxes, penalties and intererst.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,199,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
no need to register as a business because if you getting 1099 income is all being reported anyways and you'll need to file a schedule c business return. So your pick if you want to register as a llc or corporation, but not necessary.

in which case you benefit from being a business because you can deduct business expenses.

by the way, if you dont report your income, that's a super easy way that the IRS will come and slap an audit on you right before your statute of limitations expires, and you'll owe a TON of taxes, penalties and interest.

THEN

Commie state of california will piggyback on the IRS audit and slap you with a state audit, and you'll owe a TON of taxes, penalties and intererst.
You can still deduct business expenses as a sole proprietor filing via schedule C. If OP is creating online content, I would assume they are deducting video and computer equipment, any appropriate home office expenses, etc.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:10 AM

10,057 posts, read 8,007,289 times
You don't need to pay a CPA, you don't need to set up a separate business. You really don't need to set up a separate business account either. Just go ahead and transfer the money to your account and congrats on getting some adsense money!

Keep records of any expenses you have from the business.

Next year you'll get a 1099 from Adsense showing how much they paid you. You'll fill out a Schedule C when you do your taxes and enter that amount and subtract out all your expenses. Then you'll have to pay taxes on your profit.

If you're not making much yet, you may not even owe any taxes and you probably don't have to worry about filing quarterly.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:29 PM

14,329 posts, read 15,006,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You don't need to pay a CPA, you don't need to set up a separate business. You really don't need to set up a separate business account either. Just go ahead and transfer the money to your account and congrats on getting some adsense money!

Keep records of any expenses you have from the business.

Next year you'll get a 1099 from Adsense showing how much they paid you. You'll fill out a Schedule C when you do your taxes and enter that amount and subtract out all your expenses. Then you'll have to pay taxes on your profit.

If you're not making much yet, you may not even owe any taxes and you probably don't have to worry about filing quarterly.
While far from a tax expert, this is the best answer. as far as I know and I did a Schedule C for many years and I so miss it.....LOL

Schedule C is Profit or Loss From a Business. Basically a Schedule C say how much Income did you earn? What were your Expenses? Subtract Expenses from Income. Go from there.

To the OP. A an example you needed a computer, printer, high speed Internet, etc. which were all business expenses. Granted used for other purposes but a portion of the expense is business related. You had to drive to an Office Superstore for printer ink. Mileage allowance and ink are all business expenses. You took someone to dinner to discuss your website. The cost of the dinner is a business expense. Are you getting the idea?

One thing to be careful about is if you had Income and did not pay any taxes, the IRS could go after you for back taxes. They also will demand you start paying Quarterlies which is estimated (by the IRS) taxes. I believe there is minimum Quarterly payment and if below this, no need to pay Quarterlies.

A brief discussion with a CPA is advised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance