Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM

69 posts, read 208,626 times

Advertisements

Wondering if there are others out there that have gone through or are going through a similar situation... Relocating after bankruptcy...
Questions would be...
How did it go for you?
How are you trying to reestablish credit?
What types of problems did you encounter while home hunting?

It' is SOOO hard, because people either feel very sorry for us or have this questioning look on their face... like we just told them we stole something. Maybe some look at it that way... I guess I used to wonder... now I know better... We went from excellent credit.. around 735 or so to big fat 0!! This is NOT something we decided would be FUN to do or an EASY way out... but REALLY had no choice. We lost everything. Including the house we built with our own hands 4 years ago....

Anyone out there relate?
Feel free to PM me if you'd like to remain anonymous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM

281 posts, read 1,109,354 times
I would speak to a lender first off. Some programs don't care about a bk after 2 or 3 years....again, not sure, but I know of people recovering quite well within a few years. AND I empathize.....BK is not something that happens only to people that don't pay bills.....it also happens to good people that run into bad situations.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM

28 posts, read 113,936 times
I sympathize with you. I don't have the experience with that exactly, but I know what it's like to get in a bad situation and work your way from there. I wish you the best of luck, have you been able to rent a place you like, have you moved to NC yet? I wish I had advice for you, just best wishes!

We are looking to move, our house is under contract with a sale contingency, and we all know how good the market is, although it's not as bad here in the area of PA that I am in as some parts of the country. I am just crossing our fingers that this works out b/c our home has been on the market for 8 months and we just want to be done and move down there as quickly as we can so the kids can get some-what adjusted before school starts!

Good luck to you!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Barnes View Post
I would speak to a lender first off. Some programs don't care about a bk after 2 or 3 years....again, not sure, but I know of people recovering quite well within a few years. AND I empathize.....BK is not something that happens only to people that don't pay bills.....it also happens to good people that run into bad situations.
Thanks for the advice and empathy. Talking with a lender was what I was thinking about today... good idea!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters1996 View Post
I sympathize with you. I don't have the experience with that exactly, but I know what it's like to get in a bad situation and work your way from there. I wish you the best of luck, have you been able to rent a place you like, have you moved to NC yet? I wish I had advice for you, just best wishes!

We are looking to move, our house is under contract with a sale contingency, and we all know how good the market is, although it's not as bad here in the area of PA that I am in as some parts of the country. I am just crossing our fingers that this works out b/c our home has been on the market for 8 months and we just want to be done and move down there as quickly as we can so the kids can get some-what adjusted before school starts!

Good luck to you!

Thanks so much.
To you too!
We have not moved yet... I have been keeping my eyes open for rental homes/town houses/apartments... We took 2 trips down there this past year. It looks like we will not be able to move until at LEAST the FALL... which will mean that schools will PROBABLY already be started. I too would LOOOOOVE to be able to get down there and settled FIRST, but it looks like that's not going to be an option.
Doing the best we can though...

Old 04-08-2008, 05:03 PM

534 posts, read 1,596,284 times
We filed 8 years ago after moving to Vegas and realizing we hated it and moved back home. We didn't have a choice but to file. We had a great lawyer that got us cleared including wiping out our rent in Vegas that we were expected to keep paying. It was different to file back then and everyone's situation is different.

We bounced back immediately and didn't fall into any traps of getting in debt again. We were offered a credit card right away(of course..lol), but it helped us get our credit built up again. We were able to get a new car a few years later with a good interest rate and no cosigners.

We moved to another state 4 years ago and had no problems renting an apartment. They didn't care about the bankruptcy, just how we paid our previous rent and our jobs. We now have 2 new cars and a home. Our credit ratings are in the mid 700's. It never effected us like so many told us it would.

It's one thing to file, but it's another to not learn anything from it. We know many that have filed recently for a second time. They just went right back into living beyond their means and spending too much money. We don't spend what we don't have. It's called a budget. We have 2 credit cards, one we use more then the other and always pay it off in full. I can't imagine being that in debt ever again.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:55 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,775,108 times
Default The Big "B"

My wife and I filed a year ago, we to lost everything including our home. Our small trucking business took a turn for the worse. We went from a six figure income to less than 20,000.00 a year and somehow survive. Small 2bed rental house, 13year old car, no credit cards. Had to pay deposits on all utillities and house and get offers for credit cards and new car loans all the time but don't want that mess again so live well below what we did. Plan on buying cheap house in next 2 years but no plans at all for any payments for anything else ever if at all possible. The fancy cars and motorcycles that I thought I couldnot live without don't bother us anymore also alot less stress. The only thing is we still owe back taxes but should have that paid off in 2 years. Good luck and things will get better, they sure can't get any worse...

Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,797,021 times
If I had my way about it, mortgages would not be offered to anybody that filed BK for 24 months unless they put a 20% cash payment down. That is part of the mess we are in now. That said, you can get a mortgage within a year usually. BK is a black mark but at the same time, it means you have no debts left.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:37 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,401,048 times
I don't mean to hi jack your thread but I have a question ???

My friends husband left her with 5 kids and no money. She has recently gone back to work as a substitute teacher. She isn't making much money. She has a first and second mortgage. She wants to file for bankruptcy and have that second dissolved ( shes in CA) her property value isn't securing the loan any longer. Does anyone know if that is a possibility ???

Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,019,385 times
You mean she wants to dissolve the second loan on her house but continue to pay on the first loan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance