Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 09:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times

Advertisements

I seem to see a lot more millionaires in high cost of living areas, but how do they compare to millionaires in low cost areas? Someone with their primary residence paid off in say SF or NYC and no plans to move could potentially have a little savings and be considered a millionaire. Perhaps no big deal for the area. Someone in a low cost area could have a similar home worth 4x less money and live a very comfortable life as a millionaire...potentially not even working at all. Their net worth may be top 3-4% for the area and they are considered wealthy people.

Not sure what the point is here lol, but maybe we could discuss how being a millionaire can be a big deal or not so big deal based on one’s location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 10:06 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
That's why there's a strong argument for not including the house in your net worth, at least separating total net worth from liquid net worth.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's why there's a strong argument for not including the house in your net worth, at least separating total net worth from liquid net worth.

But if you have two, surely you can include one.

I'm just gonna go ahead and include the one that's fully paid-for.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:37 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
But if you have two, surely you can include one.

I'm just gonna go ahead and include the one that's fully paid-for.
Well, yes. I should have said "the house you live in" to avoid the ambiguity.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:49 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I seem to see a lot more millionaires in high cost of living areas, but how do they compare to millionaires in low cost areas? Someone with their primary residence paid off in say SF or NYC and no plans to move could potentially have a little savings and be considered a millionaire. Perhaps no big deal for the area. Someone in a low cost area could have a similar home worth 4x less money and live a very comfortable life as a millionaire...potentially not even working at all. Their net worth may be top 3-4% for the area and they are considered wealthy people.

Not sure what the point is here lol, but maybe we could discuss how being a millionaire can be a big deal or not so big deal based on one’s location.
if i have a million dollars and buy a million dollar home , i don't go from being a millionaire to not being one the next day . the asset you own may not be liquid but that changes nothing .

if i sold that house a year later all i did is make the same million liquid .

so an asset is an asset .

it just depends what purpose you are adding up your assets for . if it is to determine a retirement draw , no you would not count it . if it is to feel good and take a net worth snap shot , then yeah , it counts .

sure you can be house rich and cash poor but that changes nothing on a balance sheet , you just put to much of your money in the house

Old 12-28-2018, 01:50 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,578 times
Quote:
If you sold your residence and moved to San Fran or NY, can you still stay retired with just renting? You'd probably get rid of your car since transit is the standard.

How old are you now?

To me it's a big deal. Having a million in high COL is no big deal. A million in a low COL is something else.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:54 AM

we retired in nyc - in queens , renting .

unless you live in manhattan , i would never give up my car in the boroughs of nyc . we use a car every single day ... my wife does not drive and before we met she did not not need to travel weekly to see the kids or leave the area much so taking a bus around town was fine .

today after living with a car the last 18 years she would never want to be without one , nor could we be if we want to see our grand kids and do most of the things we do daily .

only in manhattan can you really get away without a car , but that is only true if you don't leave the area and go where public transportation does not go well .

Old 12-28-2018, 02:05 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we retired in nyc - in queens , renting .
If you moved where Eddie lived you would be at least a Prince, if not a King. So yeah location matters.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:09 AM

it sure does . if all we had was a million dollars it is doubtful we would have retired here in nyc near our kids and grand kids . 40k in pretax dollars , and paying your own medical and dental does not by much .69k qualifies a family for a lower income new york city housing project

Old 12-28-2018, 05:34 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:

Just my way of measuring but I figured we would need at least $2M (eastern Washington) to retire in a lower cost area and $3M+ (Seattle east) in a higher cost area to live the lifestyle we are accustomed to.

You always have the option of moving from a high cost area to a lower cost area in retirement.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 12-28-2018 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance