Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 PM

395 posts, read 490,851 times

Advertisements

i saw my hsbc direct saving acct. rate drop from 5.05% last year down to the current rate of 3.55%. same with my citibank e-saving which was at its high at 4.75% last year and down to 2.25% currently. with the fed cutting..im afraid it these rate would go down further. so any of ya out there which is using one of the popular banks out there and earning higher interest than this (3.55%)? i dont want a no name small bank in a small town with a teaser 1 year rate. i want a popular bank like citibank, hsbc, bank of america etc. this is in nyc btw if it helps. and i know about bankrates...that website is full of bait and switch rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,693 times
Agree that the HSBC Direct is probably one of the better ones. I have gotten an email from them within days of every rate-cut so far, so I expect to get one another one later this week/early next week saying the rate is lowered once again. I still think they are a good bet since they are one of the largest international banks.

Prefer to stay away from small banks altogether. Too many out there that just seem to open up overnight and position themselves for a buyout.

I hate seeing the teasers - it's obviously so misleading for the average consumer.

Last edited by GeminiGal; 03-18-2008 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
I'm getting 6% in my checking account right now at Verity Credit Union.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,589 times
Check out Bank Deals - Best Rates and Deals . They do an excellent job updating rates on various products (including checking and savings accounts) from around the country.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
LOL.......The Fed just cut rates again by .075 percent.Soon our money will just sit in a account making NO interest.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Scary. I would rather have it sitting in a bank at low rates than not being able to access it at all. I guess we just hang on for the ride.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Yeah.....ermm...I seem to recall that inflation runs at 3 percent. I'm gonna be below 3 percent real soon. <--also have HSBCdirect.....

I hope this don't end up like Japan. Where the savings interest rate was like .0000001546 percent...for quite some time.....

Old 03-18-2008, 02:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
LOL.......The Fed just cut rates again by .075 percent.Soon our money will just sit in a account making NO interest.
Oh, no, it won't just sit. It'll be gobbled up, too, by the raging inflation. Not to mention much of it was probably saved before the dollar became the new peso and was worth something at the time you deprived yourself in order to save it. They don't fail to tax you, though, when you attempt to at least grow a little bit your already taxed money! Just checked the rate on my savings account - down to 3.05%... and that's before the lovely event today. Oh, well, there's nothing we can do other than buy some lubricant.

I've seen this movie before. Remember my uncle had savings about enough to buy 3 condos. When he passed away, you could buy 3 fridges. Only that I had absolutely no need to screw up my life and transport it halfway across the world in order to watch a worse remake of the same darn movie! At least most of you guys live in the country you're accustomed to, around family, etc. In other words there's something for you to offset this beautiful economy. To me breathing more easily financially was the only advantage and now it's gone.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
This is the biggest scam going. Low interest rates on savings at sub-inflation rates (Official CPI) while the real inflation rate is probably somewhere in the 5%+ factoring in food, energy, health care, and education costs.

But hey, I can buy a cheap Chinese-made wrench for about the same price as a quality
American-made wrench a few years ago so there's been no inflation in those goods right?

And I can buy a CD player for $59 today when it used to cost me $250. Nevermind thatI still have the old one that I bought in 1985 and it works fine but the new ones end up in the garbage on or before the 90 day warranty runs out. Please mail entire contents prepaid postage to P.O. Box XXXXX, FarAway, Canada. Cost $35.

Come on we're not getting the real inflation rate. We're all getting duped while our standard of living gets sold overseas.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Soon it will be -2.50% and you will have to send them a check each month for the interest they are due
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance