Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:47 AM

625 posts, read 3,640,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It's not about whether or not you are scum - it's about whether or not you can afford to take on the credit that you are applying for and what the odds are that you'll repay. It's not a judgment about you as a person, but about your current financial status as a recent graduate that is new in the workforce and who doesn't have stable employment.

I am not new to the workforce I have been working since I was 17 and got my first job at 14, I have not opened up any new accounts or applied for more credit. What I was saying is people are judged by their credit scores and the sad part is you don't know what could have happened to them that made them fall behind.
I used myself as an example to the comment made about people who do not have health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,390,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I am not new to the workforce I have been working since I was 17 and got my first job at 14, I have not opened up any new accounts or applied for more credit. What I was saying is people are judged by their credit scores and the sad part is you don't know what could have happened to them that made them fall behind.
I used myself as an example to the comment made about people who do not have health insurance.
It doesn't matter from a business perspective what happened to them - what matters is how much they owe to other people and what their income is.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 AM

123 posts, read 97,309 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter from a business perspective what happened to them - what matters is how much they owe to other people and what their income is.
This is correct. It's not cost effective to look at everyone individually for special circumstances.

Again, it's nothing personal. Just business.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,578,295 times
If you had insurance through your company, but left, you can use COBRA (continuation of benefits...) - though it is expensive.

And yes - it is gambling. When I was a student, I had insurance through the university, all universities pretty much offer it. ITs not as great as through an employer, but its better than getting hit by a bus and being responsible for $100K in medical expenses. And that's why most of us have insurance. Its not for a $100 dr visit, its in case something serious happens.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM

5,345 posts, read 14,172,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ah but more then you may think have a medical debt ding on their reports. My wife works in apartment leasing. She gets to look at hundreds and hundreds of peoples credit. She tells me 50-60% of all credit apps have a medical ding on it. Lucky for some, her complex ignores it.
I look at hundreds and hundreds and see maybe 5% with a medical ding. Also, if the rest of your credit is good and there are a couple of medical collections, they won't have that great of impact on your score.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,166,886 times
Quote:
The cost is about $150-$200+ and they don't cover everything like company insurance does. My copay would not be $20 like it would if I had insurance through my company. The copay ranges and usually it is nothing shorter than $60.
You can get "emergency insurance" for very cheap if you are young and have no gaps in coverage. This will protect you from the sort of thing the poster is talking about, that is having huge medical bills in the $100,000 range. Your medical costs are very low and you should have been saving money for them! Its just gambling, people go without insurance, do not save any money towards their health care and then complain when they get sick and have to pay!
Everything that happened to you is your fault, not the "system". You decided to go without insurance, you decided not to get a basic insurance plan and you decided not to save toward health care.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,545,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
You can get "emergency insurance" for very cheap if you are young and have no gaps in coverage. This will protect you from the sort of thing the poster is talking about, that is having huge medical bills in the $100,000 range. Your medical costs are very low and you should have been saving money for them! Its just gambling, people go without insurance, do not save any money towards their health care and then complain when they get sick and have to pay!
Everything that happened to you is your fault, not the "system". You decided to go without insurance, you decided not to get a basic insurance plan and you decided not to save toward health care.

Whoa there. Don't forget that with those that even have health insurance (often in the case of those that don't they buy something really cheap from whomever) those plans have riduculously high deductables. So if they don't meet a 2000 or 3000 deductable (I have seen the details of some of these plans myself), then they are on the hook for 50 grand to whatever. Anybody can get a health insurance plan, but, if it's almost unusuable, what's the point?
I hear the so called insurance that WalMart offers most of it's employees is like that.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:12 PM

857 posts, read 4,884,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam72 View Post
This is correct. It's not cost effective to look at everyone individually for special circumstances.

Again, it's nothing personal. Just business.
That is exactly right. If you inherited some money and someone you barely knew came up to you and asked you to loan them $15,000 because they are a swell person (in spite of the fact that they are 90 days behind on their car payment, their house is in foreclosure, and they owe a pile of money on their credit cards) are you going to lend it to them?
Banks are in the business of making money. If they lend you money and you don't pay it back that causes them to lose money. All the credit score is is a way of gauging whether or not someone is a good risk, not a good person.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:52 PM

652 posts, read 2,667,232 times
Quote:
It might have been smarter for her to spend $2000 cash on an older car and save up the equivalent in car payments for three years to upgrade her car at that point.
I tried to convince her of that not to many people these days want an older car though. All of my friends have newer cars and laugh at my cars (94 explorer and 91 izuzu impulse). Then I just laugh at them cause they have car payments and I dont!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,166,886 times
Quote:
...those plans have riduculously high deductables
When you sign up for the plans you can pick your deductible. If you are young and healthy it makes more sense to get a high deductible HSA plan and save money in a HSA. So there is nothing ridiculously about the deductibles, you are going to pay for it one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance