Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 25,002 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone has ever had a dealer give them cash back while trading in a vehicle on the purchase of a new car. I wanted to trade in my SUV and borrow more than the difference with the new vehicle price to take advantage of the cheap financing.

Long story short the salesman said that was fine, then the finance department tried to give me the run around. I figured this was a pretty common request so I wanted to see what everyone thought. I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks,

new to the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM

467 posts, read 777,928 times
Never done this before, but why would a bank loan over 100% on an asset that they know will deprecate. I think it will be hard to do this with any bank.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Yes, its no problem. I traded in a fairly recent model car (mistake buy on my part), got $5k back and used the balance of the trade in value for the downpayment etc. Factory rebates were great a the time with $4k or 0% financing, took the cash instead of 0%, then got $500 for financing with the manufacturer finance wing at 3.8%, then refinanced with my credit union for 2%.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,106 times
Why would anyone in there right mind want to owe even more money than something that severally depreciates the second it drives off the lot?

Please at least only be financing for 2-3 years with a crazy scheme.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Never done this before, but why would a bank loan over 100% on an asset that they know will deprecate. I think it will be hard to do this with any bank.
You are not financing over 100%, it is essetially reducing the amount of the trade in applied towards the new car purchase. I've never done it, but don't see why you could not ask for cash back.

For example, new car is $25K, trade is say $15K. Put $10K of the trade towards the new car as a down payment and get $5K cash back. Finance $15K at a cheap rate and you are getting the additional $5K loan at a cheap rate, maybe even zero.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Why would anyone in there right mind want to owe even more money than something that severally depreciates the second it drives off the lot?

Its amazing how whenever the topic of car loans or leasing comes up the peanut gallery has to come out and preach the gospel according to *whatever*.

Like everyone else this year, I'm making more on investments then 2% Aren't you? Leverage is not a dirty word if managed properly.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:12 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
No kidding. I didnt even put any money down on my cars. With less than 2% with the credit union the money is cheap. Sure i could have put money down or bought the cars outright, but there are better places for that kind of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Its amazing how whenever the topic of car loans or leasing comes up the peanut gallery has to come out and preach the gospel according to *whatever*.

Like everyone else this year, I'm making more on investments then 2% Aren't you? Leverage is not a dirty word if managed properly.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 PM

38 posts, read 89,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post

Why would anyone in their right mind pay a dollar's worth of interest on a depreciating asset? Image?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_process View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind pay a dollar's worth of interest on a depreciating asset? Image?
Come on now, try to keep up.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
I did something similiar. I bought a car and paid down most of it. I had about 4k left that I owed. I then refinanced via PenFed(Credit Union) and borrowed $17k. I took the difference and used it to pay down my mortgage which was at a higher rate(even after factoring in tax deductions). That $13k payment combined with an annual bonus was more than 10% of my oustanding balance, so I was able to re-cast my mortgage and reduce my payments. Net result, I save about $70/month in interest due to the rate difference alone. That's combined with the fact that I'm paying down my total debt faster because I took money that was essentially on a 30yr repayment plan and set that small(ish) piece to be paid back in 5.

I'm sure the dealership wouldn't have let me do it, but a credit union had no problem lending me money secured by an asset since I wasn't going over the total value of the asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance