Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,584,661 times

Advertisements

While on vacation recently, my mother treated me to lunch at a Tex-Mex (Texas Mexican) restaurant. At the end of the meal, she gave the waiter her credit card and then shared with me recently my sister treated her to lunch and credit card was declined. The waiter was very nice about it and stated it in a most understanding way. My mother had to then give the waiter her own CC to pay for the meal.

OMG, that would be the most embarrassing thing for me!! I can imagine this happening to someone who takes client or potential customers out to dinner as a part of obtaining their business in the future, and the CC declines. Because my credit has been shaky for a number of years as has my finances, for that reason, I never use a CC in a restaurant unless at least 2x the amount available credit. I primarily use cash for most dining out just to be safe.

That was so nice that the waiter didn't attempt to embarrass my sister or speak loudly "SORRY, THIS CARD WAS DECLINED!" Is this generally how most waitstaff are when dealing with declined CC? Has this happened to you and if so how did you handle it? I don't think they allow customers in the kitchen to wash dishes in order to pay off the bill anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,909,091 times
When I was a server in a fine dining restaurant a card being declined wasn't a rare occurrence at all- I never for a moment thought that the customer was in dire financial straights; a card could be denied for any number of reasons, many not having anything to do with the financial viability of the client. I just went back to the table and simply quietly would ask if the customer might have a different card as this card isn't going through. Inevitably they always did or were able to come up with the cash. It's not that big of a deal.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,723 times
id imagine most people would be nice about it. It happens to everyone and obviously it can be embarrasing when it does. Ive had it happen due to machine error. what can you do.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,584,290 times
Happened to me recently and has nothing to do with financial reasons. Purchased something at Target, and then realized we needed something else and checked out again 5 minutes later. It was denied and I used another card. Five minutes later I got a text alert from my bank asking me to confirm whether I'd attempted a second purchase at Target. Annoying, but the credit card was trying to protect our account since ringing up twice at the same place in a row is unusual.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
I just bought some clothes at Lands End -- and never looked at the emails they sent. When the clothing didn't arrive -- I discovered my card had been declined. I called, and explained the card they had on file was the old number of the same card I had now -- they keep catching mysterious transactions or keep getting hacked and change the numbers to prevent fraud.

She understood -- in reality, this sort of thing happens all the time. I used to work retail. We didn't care.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,723 times
my first time traveling internationally i had all my ATM cards denied. that was a learning experience.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,695,815 times
Credit cards get declined for all sorts of reasons. I used to have my company-issued card declined periodically. I completely spaced paying a bill for one of my own cards one month. I have had cards shut off temporarily, for using them at places that must have triggered some type of fraud alert because the POS terminals went through a payment processor 2000 miles away. I had a card shut off after the Target data breach last year. In that case, I got a letter that said your old card will still work--but didn't say for how long. None of these things are related to insolvency.

Of course, some people run cards to the limit and are probably declined on a routine basis. In that case, one should probably not trust that a credit card is going to be usable, and carry some extra cash, or a different card.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,584,661 times
Default Had that happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
my first time traveling internationally i had all my ATM cards denied. that was a learning experience.
This was around 1997 and I was on a work-related tour. When we got to Los Angeles, I was very low on cash so I went inside UCLA to use the ATM, at that time, in some type of student union building. My checking account balance (credit union) was around $3,000. The machine gave me the message that the card was declined. I assumed that maybe I'd asked for too much money at one time, so I requested $200. When I was declined again, I went to the other ATM next to it and requested $100. I got the same declined message the previous ATM had given me.

A coworker then loaned me $50 until the next business day when I could contact my credit union - our next stop would be in Arizona by that time and this was before cell phones. I had to use a pay phone somewhere in AZ to try and clear up this business matter.

Turns out my account had plenty of money. I told the customer service person what happened and how I'd tried at least three times on two or three different ATMs a UCLA. She said she could see via her computer record where I'd used an ATM (three times) and that the records showed that the machine had dispensed the money each time I made the request, a total of $600. What, that is a lie! I was stunned! How do you prove that you didn't receive the money when the ATM claims that you did? I don't remember if ATM had cameras back then. I explained to the customer service person what happened and about how I kept receiving the decline messages after each request.

The customer service person said that she would have to check into it. It took almost a week but eventually it was determined that the machine did not dispense the money that I requested. It was all cleared up but I'll never forgot that nightmare.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Years ago, a friend of ours used a credit card on a date.

The server came back to the table and cut the card up ---- right in front of my friend and his date.

Later, my friend complained to the credit card company. They claimed that they told the business to "hold the card" not to cut it up. My friend actually had money on the card but it had been accidently listed as "lost or stolen".

BTW it was his first & last date with that woman.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,504,037 times
When I was in Germany the ATM shut down as we were taking money out. 500 Deutsch Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance