Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:30 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,648,650 times

Advertisements

10% is easy for me, I have a lot of fat in my budget atm with going out and the like. I allow for it since I'm 100% vested my IRA and 401k:
- If I drop going out entirely, I might drop my monthly budget by 20% (wow!) assuming my math is correct.
- If I REALLY need to cut, I'd get a 3 - 4 bedroom in South Brooklyn and drop my total rent from $1967 to $500-$750/mo. This is split 1/2 with my gf though, so it's more like $933 to $250-$375/mo. Reason I pay as much as I do? Rent stabilized luxury apartment in Lower East Side, Manhattan. First and only place I truly loved living in outside of NYC as a whole, with a fast commute to boot (10m on a good day to 15m on a bad day).
With those 2 things, I'd reduce my budget per month by a whopping 30%! I don't need to as I still have a very high net coming in even with my current expenses.

I can't complain, life is very good right now! I have ways to make it better of course, like starting grad school in the fall (I've already been accepted).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 PM

25,368 posts, read 11,743,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
10% is easy for me, I have a lot of fat in my budget atm with going out and the like. I allow for it since I'm 100% vested my IRA and 401k:
- If I drop going out entirely, I might drop my monthly budget by 20% (wow!) assuming my math is correct.
- If I REALLY need to cut, I'd get a 3 - 4 bedroom in South Brooklyn and drop my total rent from $1967 to $500-$750/mo. This is split 1/2 with my gf though, so it's more like $933 to $250-$375/mo. Reason I pay as much as I do? Rent stabilized luxury apartment in Lower East Side, Manhattan. First and only place I truly loved living in outside of NYC as a whole, with a fast commute to boot (10m on a good day to 15m on a bad day).
With those 2 things, I'd reduce my budget per month by a whopping 30%! I don't need to as I still have a very high net coming in even with my current expenses.

I can't complain, life is very good right now! I have ways to make it better of course, like starting grad school in the fall (I've already been accepted).
Congratulations to the acceptance!!!

Old 03-04-2019, 04:09 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,591,031 times
I also have some fat built into my take home budget.

600.00 bucks a month for vacation
100.00 bucks that I put into a vanguard account lol for vet bills when I had a diabetic dog
200.00 eating out

Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 AM

25,904 posts, read 17,695,650 times
I pay myself from my money market account on the first of every month. So I would just take 10% less.
Everything I make goes to money market; everything I spend is transferred on the 1st to checking. I have many months worth of money in Money Market.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,262,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Supposing, for some reason, you discovered that you had to immediately reduce your household budget by 10%. What are the ongoing expenses that you would cut? This has to be things that you would actually do without -- no fair re-scheduling loan payments or reducing your savings input.
Consumables, discretionay expenses, then housing or transportation change. Cutting things like a high cable bill and only having internet. Cancelling certain memberships, and not spending disposable income on certain luxuries is always the place to start. Though as other posters have said, housing is probably your biggest gain if you can somehow re-arrange the amount you pay (different location, smaller size, etc.).

Old 03-05-2019, 04:31 PM

2,066 posts, read 914,067 times
Drop Netflix, Amazon Prime; Patreon and Twitch folks I support with monthly memberships; cut cable but keep internet; Stop spending $15-$20 a day at the food trucks and pack a lunch instead; ...

... stop dating and find a girlfriend who is similarly trying to save 10% and enjoy more cheap/free outings (hiking, dog parks, drives into the mountains for meals at little hole-in-the-walls with great food, free concerts ...)

Old 03-05-2019, 06:14 PM

665 posts, read 621,520 times
Cut out fast food and eating out.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:10 PM

35,376 posts, read 31,870,133 times
Alcohol and dining out. I tend to do a lot of both. You can barely go anywhere and have an entree and two beers for under $20 with tax and tip.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,710,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Nothing. We live well within our means and a 50% reduction would still be easily absorbed.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, it’s a hard question to answer because last year I spent maybe 35-40% of my income even with extraordinary expenses like an engagement ring. My investment income is too variable to live anywhere close to my means, which has forced me to be at least fairly frugal in my lifestyle. That’ll end one day but for now and the next few years, it makes no sense to press up against my means.

If I had to cut it would be meals out, we eat out a lot and that adds up fast I suppose. I don’t really pay it much attention but I’m guessing that’s 10% right there considering I have no mortgage. My costs are fairly low.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:15 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,216,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Supposing, for some reason, you discovered that you had to immediately reduce your household budget by 10%. What are the ongoing expenses that you would cut? This has to be things that you would actually do without -- no fair re-scheduling loan payments or reducing your savings input.
beer and cable. Done.

Could also cut down on vacations for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance