Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Why would you want to marry someone with such a stunning lack of ambition? "Stay home and have a kid?" Without a job, how can she pay off her debts?
"Stay home and have a kid." good god.
The LAST thing you do is maker this person pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 11:16 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yin2lazy View Post
So far its been a little more than a year so I have to give her some credit and yes we do sit down and plan our financial goals.
This is good.

Quote:
In a way I thought up of the idea to use my credit to ditch her old debts to give her a clean slate.
Bad idea. Very bad.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
I have a good income, no debt, and excellent credit. She has bad credit, credit card and a student loan from an attempt at college. We're never using her credit ever again. Would anything bad happen if we just ignored her debt(mostly student loans) if all the assets were in my name and the liabilities were in her name only?

She's planning on just staying home and having a kid so she wouldn't have any source of income that could be garnished or intercepted and we have agreed that I would be responsible for the finances since I have a history of financial and career responsibility.
I wouldn't have anything to do with this woman. She's irresponsible and that is going to come back to bite you someday.

Run, just run and never look back.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:21 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is good.

Bad idea. Very bad.
The poster you are replying to hasn’t visited the board since 2013

Old 06-09-2018, 01:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
Quote:
I believe in taking care of my debts which I do in full every month. However if they're not my technically my debts than I don't see how I would have a obligation to pay and from my research the individual debts from before the marriage would not combine.

We have been together since high school and I fully agree with what you said. We have discussed this alot recently and she has been able to stick to a budget. We have agreed that I would just add her as an authorized user to one of my cards with a limit that would allow for household expenses and a reasonable amount for shopping.

My thing right now is if she has no official income is there anyway it would affect us as a family.
I guess technically the debt is not yours but as a practical matter of matrimony it will become yours as well. You might as well have a plan to help your future wife pay it off and then both of you can be free of debt and on the right path to mutual happiness.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The poster you are replying to hasn’t visited the board since 2013
Should have realized the OP was a 4-post wonder. Would be nice to know what happened if it was a real life post.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,271 times
Nope, just nope.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,871 times
Last post from the OP was May 26, 2013. Just sayin'...

Rich

Old 09-10-2019, 05:02 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Last post from the OP was May 26, 2013. Just sayin'...

Rich
And why did you reopen a thread that has been dormant for 15 months. Just sayin' and thinkin' worse.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 AM

469 posts, read 466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
You do realize that people don't change after they are married? You are signing up for a marriage of financial mismanagement and stress. She should get her act together and take responsibility (essentially grow up) before getting married.
This is very true. Never rationalize your way into marriage. If you find yourself saying "(S)he seems irresponsible with money BUT (S)he has so many other fine traits..." Once you hear yourself say that you want to make a 180 and re-think the whole situation. I know this all too well because I've done it far too many times. Don't talk yourself into anything.

As for paying the debts, I agree with the majority of the responses. Take the responsibility and pay off these debts. Your fellow citizens didn't rack up these debts so you have no right to dump them off on other people. There's far too much of that going on already in society. You sound like a responsible person so don't ruin your good name by being irresponsible. Marriage is a contract and you are going into a partnership with this woman. Partnerships have a high degree of risk so you want to make sure your partner's behaviour doesn't put you in a bad way. Not paying these debts will reflect on you poorly so don't ruin your good name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance