Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM

494 posts, read 1,920,495 times

Advertisements

For couples here who have significantly different incomes how do you allocate discretionary spending? Does the person who makes 2X or 3X the income get to have a higher discretionary spending limit? Or do you keep the same limit for both of you?

For couples that are not married: If one of you are in a significantly better financial position - say no debts, high income, high savings and is able to spend more freely on wants and your partner has debts, lower income, low savings would you curtail your spending on wants so that you don't rub it in because your partner cannot spend as freely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,905,320 times
My income is infinitely higher than my wife's income (She doesn't have an income). Actually, we have no discretionary income. Every dime for the next 30 years is spent: mortgage, insurance, utilities, kids' educations, retirement, vehicles, kids' activities (cheer, swimming, soccer, etc), four daughters' weddings, etc.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Lol@Charles, I did not see you mention savings of any kind... retirement, emergency etc?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,784,184 times
I don't believe in comingling funds. My husband and I had one account we each contributed to for household expenses, we invested and spent the remainder as we saw fit. If he wanted to treat me to something he did, and visa versa.

Of coarse, if, as a couple it is decided to do the SAHM thing, then what I did is not doable.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM

34,155 posts, read 83,233,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
For couples here who have significantly different incomes how do you allocate discretionary spending? Does the person who makes 2X or 3X the income get to have a higher discretionary spending limit?
Or do you keep the same limit for both of you?
How about sitting down and deciding what obligations you have/want and what your values are...
and then making a budget based on these?

Quote:
For couples that are not married:
..would you curtail your spending on wants so that you don't rub it in...
How old are you?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,827,540 times
when my wife worked, id let her waste most of her money as long as she contributed somethign towards the household bills. now that she isnt employed, i give her a budget of money she can waste every month. her budget is much more than i spend on myself, since i spend almost nothing on myself.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
when my wife worked, id let her waste most of her money as long as she contributed somethign towards the household bills. now that she isnt employed, i give her a budget of money she can waste every month. her budget is much more than i spend on myself, since i spend almost nothing on myself.
wasting money?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,325,221 times
If you're married it doesn't matter who's making the most income...it's share and share alike...If an unmarried couple is dating or seeing each other, I would hope that the one making the most income would be paying for most things needed.(should be a given)...just makes sense, and if that's just too much for your sensabilities, you can easily keep it all, by keeping it small, and staying alone.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If an unmarried couple is dating or seeing each other, I would hope that the one making the most income would be paying for most things needed.(should be a given)..
we are not talking about needs, this is not what this thread is about...it's about discretionary items, i.e. wants.

Putting gas in your car is a NEED, buying an iPad is a WANT (in most cases). If both people want iPads but only 1 can afford it would the person who can afford it go ahead and buy the iPad for themselves anyway or would they NOT buy an iPad because it would make the other person feel bad. Assume that they can afford only 1 iPad. Extend this to other things. THAT is what I am trying to discern in this thread.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:10 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,396,420 times
I earn more than my husband and we keep our finances seperate because he is a spender and I'm a saver. In the end, we both spend what we want from our incomes but I end up with much more savings because I prioritize it, where he doesn't. I also put money away in several accounts, where he does not.

There are times where I will pay more on certain outings because I know he's short on cash and we don't split household bills 50/50 but on a scale that is more comfortable for him.

Its not a perfect system but we're working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance