Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM

205 posts, read 572,462 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am usually up on all my info. I try to do every bit of research before I post questions. I will be seeking consultation from a professional in this area, but before I get that far maybe that person I browsing these boards and can help out!

I have owned houses in Michigan and Arizona simultaneously. Just a few months ago I switched my permanent address to Arizona because I sold my house here but I still live and work in Michigan (I live with someone).

Last year (2012) I am not worried about because my main residence was here in Michigan for the majority of the year. My concern is 2013 where I will spend a good majority of the year here in Michigan before I officially make the move to Arizona. With Arizona as my primary residence and Michigan as my home/work state for now, I am not sure how this will work.

Arizona is now my official home, all documents including license, vehicle registration and voter information is in Arizona. I will remain in Michigan for probably 8-9 months for 2013 before changing states. I am assuming I will pay income tax here in Michigan but also have to file state taxes in Arizona because of the residency.

I am just trying to prevent any sort of legal entanglements. So any insight would be helpful. I am heading out west in less than a month and will speak with some attorneys while I am in town. I will also be scheduling some appointments to meet with one here in Michigan.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Anything else that I am not thinking of, please bring it to my attention. This is not just related to taxes, anything legal I may need to know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,249 times
Double check with your car insurance that you're covered while you're in MI. I know that Florida requires in state insurance if you spend more than 3 months in the state.

When we moved to Florida - we used Turbotax to do our taxes - (most tax preps have this) it will ask if you have out of state income and will bring up those forms for you.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
My concern is 2013 where I will spend a good majority of the year here in Michigan
Arizona is now my official (primary) home...
I will remain in Michigan for probably 8-9 months...

I am assuming I will pay income tax here in Michigan
but also have to file state taxes in Arizona because of the residency.

I am just trying to prevent any sort of legal entanglements.
It'll be about tightening up the meaning behind the phrasing you have been using.

When you know which state is where you spend the actual majority of your time...
and you can calculate which state is where you earned the actual majority of your money..
...then you can act.

Until then all you can do is plan and speculate.

Quote:
Anything else that I am not thinking of, please bring it to my attention.
This is not just related to taxes, anything legal I may need to know.
As mentioned... voter registration, health insurance, vehicle registration & insurance.

good luck with the changes.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It'll be about tightening up the meaning behind the phrasing you have been using.

When you know which state is where you spend the actual majority of your time...
and you can calculate which state is where you earned the actual majority of your money..
...then you can act.

Until then all you can do is plan and speculate.

As mentioned... voter registration, health insurance, vehicle registration & insurance.

good luck with the changes.

I will for certain remain in Michigan for at least 8 months. So for 2013 2/3 of time will be spent in Michigan and 1/3 of my time in Arizona. My income will come 100% from Michigan for 2013. Once I move to Arizona I will not work again until Jan 1, 2014.

So all of my money will be earned in Michigan.

I will most definitely have to file Michigan Income Tax, and I am assuming I will also have to file Arizona Income Tax, as it is stated in their tax information:

"Residents
You are a resident of Arizona if your domicile is in Arizona.
Domicile is the place where you have your permanent home.
It is where you intend to return if you are living or working
temporarily in another state or country. If you leave Arizona
for a temporary period, you are still an Arizona resident while
gone. A resident is subject to tax on all income no matter
where the resident earns the income."

Meaning behind my phrasing:

My residence in Arizona is my primary residence on paper. I will have NO address in Michigan on paper, no mail in Michigan. The only address and residence attached to my name is my address in Arizona. I am renting a portion of a house from a friend here in Michigan. Not linked to my name at all, nothing, zero in Michigan on paper. Arizona is my Primary and Permanent residence.

Thanks!

Last edited by SmurfOnABoat; 01-24-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Do you have a renter or is your Arizona house empty? I will tell you that my husband worked from Tennessee (at our house) for a company in NYC and NYC came after us for state and city taxes, even though we lived in tn and had no residence in NYC. We eventually won but had to pay taxes for every day that my husband was in the New York office working.

We now live on the washington/ Oregon border and because Washington doesn't have state income tax, Oregon goes to extraordinary lengths to make sure that Washington "residences" are legit. I've heard that they even check with utility companies to see if the names match up.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM

hml, there is no renter in my Arizona house and I do not intend on having one.

I am assuming I will be filing taxes in both states, just not certain as to how paying goes. I am guessing there is no "waivers" like when you buy a car out of state and pay their sales tax, that it is honored in your home state as paid. I am sure income tax does not work like that (but I do not know, just making an assumption). So I will be prepared to pay in both states if I have to.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
My tax guy just asks me how many days I was in California, and how many in Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance