Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM

77 posts, read 149,708 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be opening up a new bank account for grad school soon. I'll be relying on student loans to finance everything. A savings account with TD Bank requires a minimum of $250 in the account to not be charged fees. The interest rate in savings accounts are ridiculously low. I just don't see much point in opening one up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM

643 posts, read 2,392,098 times
Where will you put your savings if you don't put it in the bank?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 PM

77 posts, read 149,708 times
Just dump it into the Checking account. Woops, should have made that more clear.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 AM

34,203 posts, read 83,398,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP17 View Post
Just dump it into the Checking account. Woops, should have made that more clear.
Maybe once again the savings accounts will pay interest.
In the mean time they still serve their main function well:
reinforce the discipline of the act of setting aside your savings.

Nothing else in the realm of investment (or use) can happen until that pool of cold hard cash has been accumulated.
This will then allow you to make an actual choice of what to do with $Xthousand on hand...
rather than just speculating on what you would like to do if you had $Xthousand.

But after you do something with that $Xthousand...
immediately start to replenish it all over again.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM

50,514 posts, read 64,453,451 times
If they have the same variety of checking accounts as my bank does, there is probably a checking account which pays more than any of the savings accounts. If you need to have a physical separation in order to keep from spending it, then that is reason enough, despite the lack of interest.
We have, for example, a checking that pays .75% but you need to jump through certain hoops to qualify for it.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:28 AM

943 posts, read 1,852,122 times
i would open it and add money to it use it as a emergency security account if you put it into your checking you are more likely an more tempted to spend it sooner then later. .

Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,469,501 times
Quote:
have your checking account, and for "savings", open an account with Ally bank or American Express Personal Savings. Their rate is around 0.80%, which sounds pathetic, but is pretty good in today's world. No minimums, no fees. Charles Schwab might be a good all around option for you, because their account has ATM reimbursements, so you can use your debit card anywhere, and it pays around 0.30% interest.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM

689 posts, read 2,171,178 times
Most banks have a structured plan in which a checking overdraft will automatically be covered by the balance in your savings account. So there is a defense against overdraft fees if you accidentally overdraw. That's the only reason I have one, and I've never had to use it for that purpose, but it's still there and pays about four cents a year interest. It's kind of like setting your alarm clock ten minutes fast. You have ten more minutes than you think you have, in case of a tight squeeze.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM

3,522 posts, read 7,811,978 times
Quote:
While it certainly true saving accounts pay almost nothing in interest, it still a useful way to save money. If all your money is in your checking account, the temptation to spend the extra money might will be much higher then if you have a separate account. At least it's this way for me. And while I do sometimes have to take money out of savings to cover expenses, I make a point of replacing it soon as possible.

Another thing I do is always claim Zero exemptions on my W4, while it's certainly true it's allowing the government to use my money interest free, it really doesn't amount to much and I like getting a bigger return at the end of the year.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,626,141 times
I sign up for savings accounts when they offer a sign up bonus. Sign up, stay for a while, collect signing bonus, and bounce to the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance