Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM

269 posts, read 607,501 times

Advertisements

If i sell my second home in Florida. lets say that i bought it for 60k and now selling it for 120k.

How much would i have to pay in taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,401 times
If you have been filling out your taxes properly every year (with Schedule E), this shouldn't be a problem at all.

120k - 60k - buying/selling expenses - capital improvements + allowed depreciation - previously unallowed Schedule E expenses = capital gain

If filling out Form 4797 or Schedule E frightens you, you need to talk to a tax professional. There is a huge amount of paperwork in calculating this number.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
If you have been filling out your taxes properly every year (with Schedule E), this shouldn't be a problem at all.

120k - 60k - buying/selling expenses - capital improvements + allowed depreciation - previously unallowed Schedule E expenses = capital gain

If filling out Form 4797 or Schedule E frightens you, you need to talk to a tax professional. There is a huge amount of paperwork in calculating this number.
Can you take this in english please?

Or just give me a number that should be in the neighborhood of what it would be if i sell for this price

Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,317,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

If he deducted any building improvements in a previous tax year, he cannot do it again when he sells the house... also if it's been under 2 years, there are other issues.

I have to wonder how REAL this scenario is. Is this a foreclosure you bought? Otherwise I dont see how you got that sort of appreciation in 2 years.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM

254 posts, read 591,256 times
I think there is an exemption of $200 K or $250K on sale of personal real estate. You may not have a cap gain tax at all. Not sure, going by memory of what I read. Unfortunately, I've never had to worry about such gains!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,829 times
The guy is not a US citizen, if I remember correctly.

OP: If you have that much gain, just talk to professionals. You don't want to mess with IRS especially when you are not a US citizen.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I think there is an exemption of $200 K or $250K on sale of personal real estate. You may not have a cap gain tax at all. Not sure, going by memory of what I read. Unfortunately, I've never had to worry about such gains!
He stated it was a second home. No exemption for cap gains on that.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
If he deducted any building improvements in a previous tax year, he cannot do it again when he sells the house... also if it's been under 2 years, there are other issues.

I have to wonder how REAL this scenario is. Is this a foreclosure you bought? Otherwise I dont see how you got that sort of appreciation in 2 years.
crazynip, where did he state "2 years"? He could have held it for a decade or more. Besides, if it is a second home, there is no limit on how long you have to hold the property, since the transaction is a taxable event (and not exempt like personal residences).

If the poster is asking such a rudimentary question, I am confident that he has not been filling out Sch E properly every year to determine his basis.

Sorry, Johan, you have provided only two of several hundred numbers that are required to give you an exact amount. Even then, your tax rate is dependent on what other income you earned. If you held the property for a long time and kept poor records, this could be a gargantuan task.

It looks like you are headed to a tax advisor with a shoebox full of receipts and a stack of documents to have sorted out at an hourly rate.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 AM

I understand that it is hard to answer such a question. But are there not a aproximate tax percentage?.

As one said, i am not a US citizen. But where i come from i know exactly how much i will pay in taxes when i sell some real estate. It is sale pris minus price i bought it, minus the works i done = an amount and a certain % on that, finished.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

You can say that, i got it for a real bargain.

It will be two years this summer. is it worth to wait to sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance