Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,532,739 times

Advertisements

It would be amazing to jump into the future when you are actually 60 or retirement age. You will be amazed how you attitude and perspective will change.
If you do not take it serious now, you loose later. Personal choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,872,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Oh, come on. With the Barack Obama death panels?
What do you mean? The school of medicine is so advanced now that people are living and longer and longer. You just have to do your best take care of your health and maintain it.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,151,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The jobs that people actually enjoy will eventually be known as "volunteer" jobs. The lack of jobs and oversupply of labor in our economy means the end of the Middle Class....
Oh yeah? That would just benefit me.

Quote:
and by wiping out employer-subsidized health insurance via Obamacare.
Employer subsidized health care is part of the problem, so let's hope it's wiped out (unlikely). This is why I preferred McCain's plan, at least in the short term, it would have wiped out employer-subsidized health insurance. One could have fixed the other issues later. But this doesn't have much to do with retirement savings....

Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
My Dad went blind when he was 60, despite taking care of his eyes. He did everything he could to prevent it, but medical science still can't fix a lot of things.

And with the 80-hour work week required by both my family's employers in very high-stress jobs (no paid overtime), we are already battling several health problems that we would not have, given a survivable job.

The jobs that people actually enjoy will eventually be known as "volunteer" jobs. The lack of jobs and oversupply of labor in our economy means the end of the Middle Class, government is hastening this end by refusing to stop immigration and preventing the states from doing so, and by wiping out employer-subsidized health insurance via Obamacare.
Obamacare will save lots of lives and now everyone has access to affordable healthcare. Best president ever!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I see no reason why I'd want to stop working at 60, serious health issues are dealt with by having health insurance and applying for disability if you do become disabled. Disability can occur at any point in your life.
Well as long as you enjoy what you do. You don't want to also get burnt out also.

Health insurance is very expensive if you are under 65 and unemployed. Thank god for Obamacare.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
It would be amazing to jump into the future when you are actually 60 or retirement age. You will be amazed how you attitude and perspective will change.
If you do not take it serious now, you loose later. Personal choice.
I always find these sorts of comments funny, whenever you do something that is not inline with "conventional wisdom" you'll hear it. In reality, I have a much better idea what I will think when I'm 60 then you do.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,293,849 times
I'm 24, and have saved $75,000 for retirement to date. I contribute 15% of my salary to my 401K, and I max out both my wife and my roth ira's. I plan to retire when I'm 60 (in 36 years-- or 2046). This is why I save for retirement:

1. There will be no social security in 2046. Anyone who thinks there will is kidding themselves.
2. Medical costs will be much higher than they currently are (even with health/disability insurance)
3. I don't want my kids (if I have any) to have to take care of me
4. There are going to be no pensions in 2046 (hell-- there is hardly any left now!) You will need more money to generate reliable income.
5. Being old is painful. You don't want to be in pain AND poor.

The goal for me is $3,000,000 by the time I retire... which will probably be just enough to scrape by in 2046.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Well as long as you enjoy what you do. You don't want to also get burnt out also.
If one gets burnt out, they can do something else. There is no reason you have to do the same thing for 30~40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Health insurance is very expensive if you are under 65 and unemployed. Thank god for Obamacare.
Health insurance rates have nothing to do with your employment status, anyhow assuming you don't have a serious pre-existing condition (won't be an issue in 3 years) high deductible policies are fairly reasonable. Of course the rates increase as you age, that is something you should plan on.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
1. There will be no social security in 2046. Anyone who thinks there will is kidding themselves.
And anybody that thinks this is being spoon feed right-wing drivel. Estimates for the social security system don't show that it will be broke in 2046, rather it shows that without increases in funding it won't be able to pay out 100% of benefits, instead 70~80%. It actually wouldn't take much to fix the shortfall either, but of course certain interests want to see the system die and thus distort the truth.

Quote:
2. Medical costs will be much higher than they currently are (even with health/disability insurance)
Why? Currently the medical industry sucks huge amounts of money out of the economy, if better policies were implemented it would dramatically cut costs.

Quote:
The goal for me is $3,000,000 by the time I retire... which will probably be just enough to scrape by in 2046.
Good luck with your goals.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
The problem is that with the new mandates on healthcare policies they are gettig mich higher and the terms mean more out of pocket expenses once you use them. Ask anyone whose company has adopted the present mandates what has happened. Only those put ito the medicaid pool by the healthcare bill wil see reduced prices really.Buth then they also face a huge increase in providers that don't except medicaid. They alos have no chice in being put in the medicaid pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance