Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,192,485 times

Advertisements

I know people talk about saving by butting back on this and that but no one seems to touch on how to earn more money.

Why do we seem to focus on saving( not that this is a bad thing) and never touch on earning more.

Some of you will say-"it's more realistic to save than it is to increase your income".

For the record, earning more DOES NOT mean you'll spend more it means you'll be less concerned about saving every penny.

I know this goes against the grain of what people say. I just wanted to hear what some of you have to say.

I think people opt for the saving more because it's the only thing they know. Earning more requires being creative and maybe even learning a new skill( writing, Internet marketing, tele-sales, etc..) that requires one not to be lazy.

And some just don't believe they are smart enough to do it.

Discuss........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,690,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I know people talk about saving by butting back on this and that but no one seems to touch on how to earn more money.

Why do we seem to focus on saving( not that this is a bad thing) and never touch on earning more.

Some of you will say-"it's more realistic to save than it is to increase your income".

For the record, earning more DOES NOT mean you'll spend more it means you'll be less concerned about saving every penny.

I know this goes against the grain of what people say. I just wanted to hear what some of you have to say.

I think people opt for the saving more because it's the only thing they know. Earning more requires being creative and maybe even learning a new skill( writing, Internet marketing, tele-sales, etc..) that requires one not to be lazy.

And some just don't believe they are smart enough to do it.

Discuss........
Learning how to use what you have/earn the best way possible (lot's of out of the box thinking here) is the only way to improve your life while not always worring about more and more money.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 PM

375 posts, read 1,144,180 times
I think it depends on the situation. If it were something temporary, like a higher than expected bill/repair or time out of work for a short term disability, then cutting back expenses is fine. If it were a situation where I was living paycheck to paycheck/not able to meet my obligations, I would look for ways to increase my income.

Cutting back/saving provides immediate results. Increasing your income takes time to gain experience, find a job, learn new skills, etc. The fastest way to increase your income is to ebay/craigslist extra stuff from around the house. But again, its only a temporary stopgag and other measures would need to be taken to keep the income coming in.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,244,536 times
Earning more means you must share your earnings with government.

Saving more means you keep 100% of what you saved.

Saving is much more efficient.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:13 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,950,389 times
I chose a career path that I knew paid well (even if it's not my favorite thing in the world) because I never wanted to be concerned with pinching pennies. So far, so good. I don't live an extravagant life at all, as I'm frugal by nature, but I've never had to decide between paying rent or going to the grocery store, and I've always been able to buy small luxuries if I wanted them.

So yes, I'd say there is some value to the idea that earning more money is an option. The thing is, if you don't start out down that path, it can take a lot of time and effort to get to that new position. It's easier to find a coupon for the cable bill than to negotiate a raise with your employer or get a certification for a new job.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Focus on accommodating yourself to a lifestyle that is comfortable and affordable on less than you are currently making. Then, if and when you make more, you have two options. Raise your lifestyle, or go into saving and investing big time and make yourself surprisingly rich. But you will be under no economic pressure to make more, and you can then have personal freedom in the employment marketplace.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
One thing i learned when i retired was just how much it cost me to work. But you can do it both ways and a combination is proably the best method to maximize savings.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,792 times
I think they go hand-in-hand at least in the beginning. Spending money in order to have lots of things is targeted for a certain audience. So is being a savvy investor targeted for a certain audience. However, I don't think most people can do both of these activities unless they bought and sold a house at the right time or inherited lots of money.

I get the feeling that somebody is trying to make me believe that saving money is so yesterday and it is the route for duller people. You may have heard this "You don't get rich by saving." I don't agree. Saving money has opened many doors for us but we started young.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,185 times
We do both. We reduced our purchases to free up money to invest, which has increased our annual income.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
Increasing your earnings is more important than cutting back and saving. I sometimes now make more in a day of overtime than I did in a month of working right after getting out of college. Even if I cut back 100% of my expenses back then, I would only have been able to save my (meager) monthly income, which is a drop in the bucket to what I make now. By "professional" standards I don't even make that much now, but I made so little after college 6-7 years ago that I just kinda got used to that life style I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance