Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:39 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times

Advertisements

Would you say that Lancaster is a stable place or very transient? For example when i lived on Long Island we had the same neighbors for years & years, actually besides my parents most of the people on my street on Long Island are still there, so basically the entire neighborhood grew up together.

But here in Las Vegas and in Arizona its very transient. People come & go like crazy. Out here they move like every 3-4 years.

So please tell me for the most part is Lancaster County considered a stable area or are people moving in & out very often?

The three areas we are considering are the Hempfield area & Manheim, possibly Lititz.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 05:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Would you say that Lancaster is a stable place or very transient? For example when i lived on Long Island we had the same neighbors for years & years, actually besides my parents most of the people on my street on Long Island are still there, so basically the entire neighborhood grew up together.

But here in Las Vegas and in Arizona its very transient. People come & go like crazy. Out here they move like every 3-4 years.

So please tell me for the most part is Lancaster County considered a stable area or are people moving in & out very often?

The three areas we are considering are the Hempfield area & Manheim, possibly Lititz.

Thank you
It's going to be more like Long Island. You'll meet people that have lived here for generations. Literally, they're like 150 years old....haha...

Actually, it's a mix. Lots of newcomers moving into Lancaster county, but still the majority of the county is filled with good 'ol country folk whose families have been there forever.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
For the most part, Lancaster County is most like Long Island. Most of the people there have been in Lancaster forever, and the family home has been handed down for generations.

However, Lancaster is also growing at an amazing rate with newcomers because it's becoming a new suburb of the greater metropolitan area of Baltimore and Washington DC for families looking for more affordable property, better schools, and lower taxes than what's available in Maryland.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For the most part, Lancaster County is most like Long Island. Most of the people there have been in Lancaster forever, and the family home has been handed down for generations.

However, Lancaster is also growing at an amazing rate with newcomers because it's becoming a new suburb of the greater metropolitan area of Baltimore and Washington DC for families looking for more affordable property, better schools, and lower taxes than what's available in Maryland.
Wouldn't that be mostly applied to York county as far as Wash/Balt expansion and Lancaster more closely tied with Philadelphia as the new exburban extension?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:11 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Wouldn't that be mostly applied to York county as far as Wash/Balt expansion and Lancaster more closely tied with Philadelphia as the new exburban extension?
Yeah, I agree more with that assessment. The Census Bureau may likely add Lancaster to the list of counties in the Philadelphia MSA within the next decade, given the increasing development, commuting and economic ties with the Delaware Valley region.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Lancaster is getting slammed with development.
Some of it is very undesirable.
We moved from the Lanco / Chesco area because of
it. Lanco still has lots of great places though. Check
for a WAL*MART. If a WAL*MART is close by or coming
in the area is going to be undesirable at worst or
very high density at best shortly thereafter.
This isnt a political slam on WAL*MART (which is evil),
it has to do with zoning changes that happen to the area.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:31 AM

64 posts, read 276,103 times
I think mapquest only lists one Walmart in Lancaster county - where are they all, or where are they coming in? Is there a website where I could see more of the projected development for the county? I've read articles here and there that actually sounded favorable, that there were pretty signifigant efforts to protect the farming communities and not allow urban sprawl. Is there a commuter train into the Phili area, or will there be? Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
York and Lancaster are both counties being considered by Marylanders. For the families already living in the northeastern side of the state, it's just a few miles into Lancaster county from where they're living. And their commute is already terrible so adding an additional 20 minutes is well worth the better lifestyle offered in Pennsylvania.

Regardless of if it's Philadelphia or Maryland moving into the are (and I think it's both), Lancaster is going to be an area of continued growth. Anyone buying a house there right now can count on having a nice profit at the time they sell their house for retirement. Housing is ready becoming more expensive in the area than compared to other parts of Pennsylvania. It's just going to continue to rise. Now would be the time to buy in Lancaster and York.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 AM

71 posts, read 353,802 times
Most of the people that you will meet will have lived in Lancaster their whole lives. Many of Lancaster's citizens don't want to move out of the county because that is what they are used to. The Hispanics and Hatians that move into Lancaster City usually come and go like crazy but mostly everyone stays where they are.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:58 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Default Thanks for the info!

Thanks for all the responses. But just curious who here lives in Lancaster County at this time? Or who has not so long ago. I have a few more questions.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania