Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 24,518 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to York County PA from Kentucky because of a job offer and I have absolutely no idea about it..Can anyone tell me some things about it...I have a large family with small children and was wondering if anyone could tell me some things about it such as if it is a safe place to live. Are there good schools? Are the people polite? Any information would be appreciated..We are defintely country people and do not want to live in the city so is there many rural places in the county and how is the cost of living, including the housing market. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 AM

22 posts, read 85,919 times
Call local township police departments to make sure.

York City from what I understand is not a safe City / high crime.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM

13 posts, read 96,587 times
As York County is basically becoming Baltimore north, the crime rate is going up.
Although the taxes are cheaper in PA, you get what you pay for. In the winter the roads are not maintained as well as they are in Maryland. All you have to do is drive across the border during a snow storm to see that.
Back to the crime. If you live in a township or boro that does not have its own police force, you will have the Pennsylvania State Police as your responding police department. Just ask anyone who relies on the PSP and you will hear tales of VERY slow response times. I don't mean 15 or 20 minutes, but hours.
Good luck on the commute to and from work. Interstate 83 was not designed as a commuter route and once you drive it a few times you will realize that.
Good luck in what ever you decide, but I would make sure I do a lot of homework and not make a snap decision.
FYI I am in York County due to be located here by my employer. I came from western PA and hope I can get back there someday.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 29,939 times
York Pa is very safe and a great place to live. Downtown (the city part) is not exactly where I would want to raise a family (still not the kind of place where you would get mugged or something, but your bike might get stolen off of the front porch), but the surrounding areas are wonderful. I recommend York Suburban School District and Dallastown School District. The schools are excellent, check out their standardized test scores, I believe they are some of the best in the state. Those neighborhoods are attractive and are also extremely safe. Downtown is changing and becoming very cosmopolitan with art galleries, great restaurants, and the new baseball stadium, and the countryside is beautiful. Why don't you consider taking a vacation to central PA, check out the historic sites, the central market, Naylor's Winery, Hershey park and the Hershey factory, take a drive through dutch country, and get a feel for the area. It's a wonderful place to raise a family.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy609 View Post
My family is considering moving to York County PA from Kentucky because of a job offer and I have absolutely no idea about it..Can anyone tell me some things about it...I have a large family with small children and was wondering if anyone could tell me some things about it such as if it is a safe place to live. Are there good schools? Are the people polite? Any information would be appreciated..We are defintely country people and do not want to live in the city so is there many rural places in the county and how is the cost of living, including the housing market. Thank you so much!!
Mandy,

As echoed here, there are many areas of the county you can live that are rural. Depending on your job, for instance if you are working in the Harrisburg area, you would want to reside in either the Dillsburg, New Cumberland or Dover areas. If working in Baltimore, then Red Lion, Stewartstown, New Freedom, etc.

I will say what was considered "rural" in certain parts of York county 20 years ago is not the case today, but that's not to say you won't find what you are looking for.

As for politeness, You are not going to find the hospitality you did in Ky and don't be taken aback if your greeting is not returned. People are not going to warm up to you right away, but in time they will.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,511 times
Growing up in Pa for 30+ years near York and i worked in York, the crime was on the rise back then. But like someone mentioned earlier, do your research. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 33,193 times
Default York County

In my opinion, York County, Pa. is a great place to live. I grew up in the Dillsburg area (northern part of the county), and would wholeheartedly recommend it. After college, I have every intention of returning if possible. Most everywhere in York County is quite safe, schools are great, jobs abound, and there is lots to do. The area simply has many positive qualities.

First, let's start with location. York County, in south-central Pa. along the Maryland border, is very convenient to local cities and also many of the mid-Atlantic's most important metropolitan areas. Consequently, there are plenty of jobs in all sectors, including healthcare, education, financial, government, and industry. In Dillsburg, we are 14 miles from Harrisburg, 22 from York and Gettysburg, and 12 from Carlisle. We are about 1.25 hrs. from Baltimore, 2 hrs. from Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia, and 3.5 from New York and Pittsburgh--all cities full of cultural opportunities.

Harrisburg (population ~48,000) is one of the biggest sources of jobs for people in the northern part of the county. Many of these are state jobs, but other major employers in the area are Hershey Medical Center, Holy Spirit Hospital, Harrisburg Hospital, and various local companies. The city is also home to the State Capitol, the State Museum, the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, the Forum (a performance theater), many great downtown restaurants, and a minor league (AA) baseball team--the Harrisburg Senators. Shopping is easy to come by, and includes the Outlets at Hershey, Harrisburg Mall (anchored by Macy's and Bass Pro Shops), Colonial Park Mall (including Boscov's, Bon-Ton, J.C. Penney, and Sears), and Capital City Mall (with Macy's, J.C. Penney, and Sears). Many other stores (Target, Best Buy, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, Staples, Lowe's, Home Depot) and plenty of restaurants can be found on the Carlisle Pike (Route 11 in Mechanicsburg) and in an area on the east side of Harrisburg known as Colonial Park. The city also has beautiful parks, including Wildwood Lake, Italian Lake, City Island, and Riverfront Park.

York (40,000) is also a pleasant little city, pretty good for jobs, and many people, especially in southern York County, commute to Baltimore. It is very old city with plenty of history going as far back as the early 1740s. The downtown contains beautiful historic sites, restaurants, churches, shops, and a performance theater known as the Strand Capital. There are just as many shopping opportunities, which include the Galleria and West Manchester Malls. In the area of industry, it is home to Harley Davidson Motorcycles and Wolfgang Candies. Lancaster (56,000) is just across the Susquehanna River from York County, and is the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. It is surrounded by beautiful Amish and Mennonite farmlands, and it is not at all an uncommon occurence to see a buggy making its way down the road.

If you choose southern York County, you will have Baltimore (650,000) within as little as 40 miles. This city is full of job opportunities, and is where my dad has been working for the past seven years. There are as many as ten hospitals in the city, colleges (Johns Hopkins, Loyola, Notre Dame, U. of Md. Baltimore County, Villa Julie, Goucher), and financial institutions which provide much quality employment. Like York, there are many historic sites, including Fort McHenry (from the War of 1812) and the Fell's Point neighborhood. The harbor is beautiful as is the Chesapeake Bay to which it leads, and is surrounded by shops and excellent seafood (and other) restaurants. The trendy Canton neighborhood, inhabited mostly by young professionals, is another hotspot for dining. Ethnic neighborhoods, such as Little Italy, provide quality fare as well. You can also tour a lighthouse or old sailing vessel. Outside of the city, there is plenty of shopping (Towson Town Center and White Marsh Mall), and excellent parks, such as Gunpowder Falls and Loch Raven (around one of the city's three reservoirs).

Perhaps in seeing the close proximity to many cities, you're worried that York County might be too developed. This is true of some of the municipalities surrounding York City and of scattered pockets elsewhere, but many rural areas still remain. In my area, the townships of Franklin, Warrington, and Washington would still be considered rural by most standards. I live on several wooded acres along a creek. Safety doesn't seem to be a huge worry in this part of the county, as violent crime is very rare, and petty acts are scarce as well. Plenty of good rural areas remain in southern York County, such as in the Delta, Fawn Grove, Shrewsbury, Stewartstown, New Park, and other areas. True, there are new developments in these areas, but a bit of rural property can still be had. Wherever you are, you will be convenient to grocery stores, shopping malls, and restaurants.

Maybe you like outdoor recreation, and if so there is plenty to do here. York County has at least six county parks, and two beautiful state parks (Gifford Pinchot and Codorus). Both have lakes with good opportunities for fishing and boating (but no gas motors are permitted at Pinchot). All these parks have miles of hiking trails, and the Appalachian Trail also passes through nearby Cumberland County. If you're into hunting, there are several State Game Lands scattered throughout York County. The Chesapeake Bay is close by in Maryland, and makes for excellent fishing and boating with larger crafts. The climate in York County is good, and still consists of four distinct seasons. The average high temperature in July is 88F and January is 39F. Spring and fall are just gorgeous. In the winter it is extremely rare to drop below zero (at least where I live, but other more rural areas do it more frequently).

The housing market is reasonable county-wide, although it has been increasing a bit, especially in the south. Many people from the Baltimore area move into southern York County for lower taxes and home values, while still maintaining their current jobs. Most new homes will run you somewhere between $200 and $400 thousand, although it is not at all impossible to find a nice older home in the $100s. (I know people who have). Taxes are pretty reasonable.

People here may be a bit slower to warm up to newcomers than they are in the South, but once they get to know you they will be kind and willing to help. Overall, I think the people are pretty nice and polite.

Most of York County's public school districts are pretty good. Many people would probably say that the best are Central, York Suburban, and Dallastown, but I have no complaints about Northern, which I attended. Perhaps Northern's state test scores are a little lower than some of the other schools', but this is not due to a lack of effort on the teachers' part. I felt that the teachers were skilled and caring, and that I was well-prepared for college. Plenty of good private schools exist in or near the county as well, including York Catholic, Trinity, Delone Catholic, Christian School of York, and York Country Day School.

In summary, I would say that York County is an excellent place to live. Housing prices are reasonable, the cost of living is roughly state and national average, taxes are bearable, and the location is convenient. I know I have written a lot about recreational opportunities, shopping, and restaurants, but I know they are things that would be important to me if I were moving to a new area. It is definitely possible to have a nice rural life here, while still being close enough to work. I hope that what I have said helps a little, and please don't hesitate to ask any further questions. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
York County has a little bit of everything. York City has its fair share of crime, but that's pretty much the only place that does. Other than that, there's mostly a lot of suburban and rural areas. I'm sure you'd be able to find an area that is similar to Kentucky.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 AM

119 posts, read 312,999 times
I feel very safe in Glenville (york co.). Its very rural and I have the best neighors ever.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM

119 posts, read 312,999 times
OH I stay clear of York city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania