Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:48 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,723 times

Advertisements

Hello from Houston!
Could you please give me some information about Lancaster. My husband has an interview there today and depending on if they make him an offer and he likes the job, we will move there. He already has an offer in Vermont and more than likely we will be moving there. Still, we are going to weigh the pros and cons of both places before moving. I've never been to Lancaster (or anywhere in PA for that matter) so a couple of things I want to know about it are:

1. Cost of living/quality of life
2. Good & bad neighborhoods
3. Good school districts (we have a toddler and another one on the way)
4. Good hospitals/doctors
5. Pollution/Allergies (my husband suffers from really bad allergies and we want to live somewhere that will minimize them)
6. Entertainment/Culture
7. Traffic (traffic here is horrendous!!!)
8. Scenery and outdoor activities
9. If you live here, why do you love it or hate it?

I know its alot of stuff but anything you can tell me about Lancaster would be great. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 06:39 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,744 times
Default no replies?

There has to be someone out there reading this who can help, anybody from Lancaster? Please help this person out.

I'm far from Lancaster, but we were and may still consider a move there.

I do know the crime is rather low in the suburbs of Lancaster.

Cost of living, compared to NY its alot cheaper in Pa.

Good & bad areas - not really sure, when we were visiting Lititz & Manheim felt and seemed really safe, even late at night!

Good schools, again i'm not from there, i heard though that Manheim township and hempfield are some of the best.

Doctors/hospitals - i have no clue, i would like to find out also!

Pollution-- Not sure, but when i was there the air was cleaner then the air here in Las Vegas!

Traffic -- It was nothing compared to NY or Vegas. And we drove around alot at 9am and 5pm.

Thats all i really know.

Someone from LAncaster please help!

Thanks

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Hello from Houston!
Could you please give me some information about Lancaster. My husband has an interview there today and depending on if they make him an offer and he likes the job, we will move there. He already has an offer in Vermont and more than likely we will be moving there. Still, we are going to weigh the pros and cons of both places before moving. I've never been to Lancaster (or anywhere in PA for that matter) so a couple of things I want to know about it are:

1. Cost of living/quality of life
2. Good & bad neighborhoods
3. Good school districts (we have a toddler and another one on the way)
4. Good hospitals/doctors
5. Pollution/Allergies (my husband suffers from really bad allergies and we want to live somewhere that will minimize them)
6. Entertainment/Culture
7. Traffic (traffic here is horrendous!!!)
8. Scenery and outdoor activities
9. If you live here, why do you love it or hate it?

I know its alot of stuff but anything you can tell me about Lancaster would be great. Thank you!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
I can tell you what I know after being here 3 1/2 years:

1) Cost of living is low to average; quality of life is excellent.
2) Most of the county is safe, clean and pleasant. I've heard that Columbia, Lancaster city and parts of Ephrata have had some drug and crime issues.
3) Most of the school districts are very good, with Manheim Township and Warwick being near the top.
4) Lancaster General, Heart of Lancaster General are consider to be among the best hospitals in the state. My wife has been treated at Ephrata Hospital and had great things to say about it as well.
5) The air is very clean here, since there aren't many manufacturers in the county. Bear in mind there are alot of farms out here so the allergy problem may be tough to deal with.
6) There are PLENTY of things to do here. Several playhouses on Route 30. They just opened a new movie theatre in Lititz and it is outstanding!
7) Traffic can be rough, especially at rush hours. Routes 501 and 72 can try your patience sometimes.
8) Some of the best routes to enjoy scenery are 772 East from Leola to Route 30 and 23 from Route 322 into Chester County. There are plenty of other roads to drive that you can really soak in the sites. Every town has something going on during the year. Lititz just had an ice sculpture display downtown and it was amazing. If you get bored out here it's by your choice!
9) If you're a "people person" from out of town, be prepared to invest in alot of time before you are accepted. It can be tough in the beginning trying to fit in. Since you have young children you will have more avenues to meet people then we've had. Outside of that you will really enjoy living here. If you need bright lights, loud noise and need to be the center of attention this isn't the place for you. However, if you're seeking calm, peace and can be easily entertained then you will enjoy it here. You can leave your child's toys outside on the sidewalk overnight and know that they'll be there in the morning. Hope this helps alittle.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,744 times
Default The message i sent you?

Lititzman,

Did you read the private message i sent you a week ago? I never heard back.

Also in your opinion how would you say the job growth is there?

Thanks --T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I can tell you what I know after being here 3 1/2 years:

1) Cost of living is low to average; quality of life is excellent.
2) Most of the county is safe, clean and pleasant. I've heard that Columbia, Lancaster city and parts of Ephrata have had some drug and crime issues.
3) Most of the school districts are very good, with Manheim Township and Warwick being near the top.
4) Lancaster General, Heart of Lancaster General are consider to be among the best hospitals in the state. My wife has been treated at Ephrata Hospital and had great things to say about it as well.
5) The air is very clean here, since there aren't many manufacturers in the county. Bear in mind there are alot of farms out here so the allergy problem may be tough to deal with.
6) There are PLENTY of things to do here. Several playhouses on Route 30. They just opened a new movie theatre in Lititz and it is outstanding!
7) Traffic can be rough, especially at rush hours. Routes 501 and 72 can try your patience sometimes.
8) Some of the best routes to enjoy scenery are 772 East from Leola to Route 30 and 23 from Route 322 into Chester County. There are plenty of other roads to drive that you can really soak in the sites. Every town has something going on during the year. Lititz just had an ice sculpture display downtown and it was amazing. If you get bored out here it's by your choice!
9) If you're a "people person" from out of town, be prepared to invest in alot of time before you are accepted. It can be tough in the beginning trying to fit in. Since you have young children you will have more avenues to meet people then we've had. Outside of that you will really enjoy living here. If you need bright lights, loud noise and need to be the center of attention this isn't the place for you. However, if you're seeking calm, peace and can be easily entertained then you will enjoy it here. You can leave your child's toys outside on the sidewalk overnight and know that they'll be there in the morning. Hope this helps alittle.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
I didn't forget about you, amsm196. I read your message and forgot about it. I'm very sorry to be such an airhead! I'll respond sometime tomorrow. Job growth is steady. However, there are some concerns with the larger manufacturers. Hershey is laying off 1500 workers, Johnson and Johnson is cutting 200 jobs and Armstrong is report to be up for sale. It also depends on your field. Expect to travel to work if you live here. Alot of people work in Harrisburg, Berks county, and even Maryland. Maybe if you move here you may want to focus your job hunt on the smaller companies.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,044 times
There are tons of Amish (aka Penna-Dutch or Penna German) all over the area, they travel in horse and buggies. They make great food and have some stands around where you can get meat, cheese, bologna and cider. It's a pretty decent area where they home prices are all over the area. They have low cost houseing in the inner city and then nice homes in the suburbs. There are several great colleges, lanc. bible college, thaddeus stevens, several culinary institutes, and Mountville and F&M. There are dozens of chain and independent restraunts in the area, you can find all kinds of chinese, japanese, vietnamese, puerto rican, french, german, amish, italian and spanish restaurants. most of them are located downtown or on rt 30. There is a club called "The Chameleon" on water street where every once in a while you can find smaller national acts playing. Mostly rock and Metal, but also Country and a few otehr things. Sight and Sound theatre, American Music Theatre. They have Capitol trailways, Amtrak and an airport. It's headquarters of Armstrong, Kunzler, MapQuest ( God i know!!!), LBC, Turkey Hill Minit Markets, and several local tobacco companies. The Amish grow mostly crops, but also tobacco. Lancaster General hospital is one of the top 50 in the nation. There is tons of pollen in this area, i dont have any allergies whatso ever, but there are an unusually high percentage of people who have or who develope asthma. Sounds funny, but people in my family and otehr friends have gotten it seemingly out of nowhere. Cost of living is fair, its probably 95 - 105% of the national average. there are nice suburbs like Lititz and Ephrata and tehre are slum sections of the inner city. There are dozens of local venues to entertain yourself, I live in Harrisburg, about 35 minutes northwest of lanc. There is some type of Farmers market once a week in the spring to fall. I think it's tuesday. It's right off the square in the south part of town. Fresh Fresh stuff.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:46 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,044 times
The people are all pretty nice dont listen to the nay-sayers. Once you settle down and get to know them they'll treat you well. It's not uncommon for people to commute even though there are plenty of jobs in the area. People travel to York or Harrisburg, or some on the outskirts even travel to Philadelphia Suburbs. For shopping they have independant locally owned mom & pops and they have great big malls like park city and rockvale outelts. Lincoln Highway East (rt 30) all around town can get backed up and is kind of out of control, 283 is also crazy as far as traffic. You'll like it it's a great little town. There is almost little violent crime. If you research it, there have been some killings, notably the amish kids, jon luna, jesse wise, and karabeth borden. half of those were by people who were born and raised in lancaster and the other half were but people who just travelled there and then commited a crime. There are drugs in the inner city and somtimes something stuppid like a migging or stabbing, but almost always the criminial knows or has a grudge against the victim. there are a lot of puerto ricans who have moved from NYC, or had their parents move there. Dont beleive the negativity though regarding unfriendly - ness. There are lots of hillbillies and rednecks but dont let them bother you too.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 AM

164 posts, read 200,161 times
Crime is really bad in Lancaster and Lebanon counties. Often, NYC gangs come down to that neck of the woods with lots of drug activity.

If I were you, I'd move to Scranton. I've heard that is one of the better places to live in PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openless
The people are all pretty nice dont listen to the nay-sayers...
Some people would like to hear the truth about where they are moving to.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM

20 posts, read 71,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
The people are all pretty nice dont listen to the nay-sayers....There are lots of hillbillies and rednecks but dont let them bother you too.
You will be accepted once you settle in as long as you're not part of anything "alternative" such as being gay, non-Christian, or (horrors!) a Democrat.

Whether you will like Lancaster or not depends very much on who you are (same everywhere!). It is not a very tolerant place.

Of course were talking County here, not Lanc. City. The City is a different world - it has a Dem Harley-riding mayor and is considered gay-friendly.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 PM

71 posts, read 353,874 times
Lancaster County is like new shoes, you have to brake them in or else you'll be uncomfortable. As long as you aren't very wacky you should be able to find friends pretty fast. The eastern part of Lancaster County is very conservative, the west side is more new age. As for scenery, Lancaster County is very beautiful and the county is very healthy, unlike Houston which ranks 2nd in the country as the most unhealthiest city in America. Lancaster should be a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania