Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized PA City Has Observed the BEST Rebound?
Erie 7 18.42%
Allentown 2 5.26%
Bethlehem 9 23.68%
Scranton 3 7.89%
Wilkes-Barre 4 10.53%
York 0 0%
Harrisburg 15 39.47%
Lancaster 2 5.26%
Reading 1 2.63%
Other (Please Specify Below) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,276,882 times
That is very true, Harrisburg does get a BIG help from the state. That is also why Harrisburg wins hands down in the best mid-size city skyline. Most of taller buildings in Harrisburg are state government buildings. If harrisburg was just an average Pa. city of 50,000 pop., instead of the state capitol, it would be much less impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM

18 posts, read 70,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianSensor View Post
You don't know nothing of Erie then! 5 new office buildings have been built in the last 3 yrs...Downtown is bustling with people, MAJOR nightlight scenes and every kind of fine dining you could want!

The only thing Harrisburg has over Erie is STATE MONEY.
Stop acting like a fool.

Erie is a great place, but your assertions are so ridiculous that you totally destroy any credibility you may have.

Downtown Erie is undergoing a resurgence from what it was in the 1980s and early 1990s (when it was a crime-ridden dump), but it is FAR from "bustling with people". A good number of bars/restaurants have opened in downtown in the last 10 years, yet it is still laughable to say that downtown Erie has a "MAJOR nightlight scene" (do you mean 'nightlife' or is Erie plugging in thousands of those little electric socket lites to illuminate the downtown streets?). Finally, your mere mention that downtown Erie has "every kind of fine dining you could want" is so utterly ridiculous that it does not even deserve to be addressed fully (it may hold true for you, but then you obviously know very little about fine dining).

Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 PM

148 posts, read 637,922 times
I don't want to sound rude but Harrisburg has a better climate and a growing population (Lebanon, Adams, Cumberland, York, Lancaster, and Franklin Counties - all part of the South Central PA region are among the 20 fastest growing counties in the region. Frankly I think it is refugees from Baltimore and Washington DC that are fueling the growth here. The region has several Fortune 500 companies including but not limited to Hershey, Rite Aid, DentSply, Harsco, Select Medical (private), Snyder's of Hanover (private), and Utz (private). This is not to mention the state and Federal jobs. Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Tyco also have a large presence here. I know I am missing some.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,621,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
That is very true, Harrisburg does get a BIG help from the state. That is also why Harrisburg wins hands down in the best mid-size city skyline. Most of taller buildings in Harrisburg are state government buildings. If harrisburg was just an average Pa. city of 50,000 pop., instead of the state capitol, it would be much less impressive.
Harrisburg doesn't get that much state money, if anything the state owes Harrisburg money. ALL that state land is tax exempt and the city suffers for it. Harrisburg's tallest building is a government one, but actually most of the highrises in the downtown core are NOT government office buildings.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM

54 posts, read 148,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasthustla View Post
Stop acting like a fool.

Erie is a great place, but your assertions are so ridiculous that you totally destroy any credibility you may have.

Downtown Erie is undergoing a resurgence from what it was in the 1980s and early 1990s (when it was a crime-ridden dump), but it is FAR from "bustling with people". A good number of bars/restaurants have opened in downtown in the last 10 years, yet it is still laughable to say that downtown Erie has a "MAJOR nightlight scene" (do you mean 'nightlife' or is Erie plugging in thousands of those little electric socket lites to illuminate the downtown streets?). Finally, your mere mention that downtown Erie has "every kind of fine dining you could want" is so utterly ridiculous that it does not even deserve to be addressed fully (it may hold true for you, but then you obviously know very little about fine dining).

Are you from Erie? Do you know anything outside of website info and newspaper clips of Erie?

The 4 largest nightclubs we have ( out of a total of 8 or 9) rival the size and amenities of any other club out there, and I've been to some real ritzy ones in AZ.

Restaurants....hmmm Irish pub food,French cuisine, Italian cuisine, Indian Cuisine, Wine bars, Thai....yeah there's more than that but seriously...what other kinds would you want? Kenyan? LOL

Our new convention center totally rocks, and with an Hotel joined to it by a bridge 100 ft in the air spanning an boat dock access, has the best views of Presque Isle Bay!

I've been to almost every PA city, and comparing their older neighborhoods with ours, makes me appreciate our lower income neighborhoods a lot.

So, unless your from Erie....shut it.

And if you are, go take a look around and get a reality check.

Put it this way before the clubs open up on the weekend yeah it's quiet, but not during the work day nor in the evenings!

I've been to Buffalo NY ( 1.1 Million in the Metro area) and yet Erie's downtown was busier than there!

Something you should also think about....unlike other PA cities Erie isn't cramped between mountain sides, so our population density makes it seem like there's less people at any given location.

I'm not going argue with you, your probably a nice guy and mean well.

Oh, we only have a few surface parking lots now....but the fact we do have some means we're not so crowded and unfriendly like other cities with a lack of parking!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Harrisburg doesn't get that much state money, if anything the state owes Harrisburg money. ALL that state land is tax exempt and the city suffers for it. Harrisburg's tallest building is a government one, but actually most of the highrises in the downtown core are NOT government office buildings.

I vote we move the Capitol to Erie, we have a very elegant location with ROOM for expansion and our assets , physical beauty and geography would impress people who come to visit, world leaders, polititicians, ect...

It's no secret we have 5.5 million visitors a year to our unique and absolutely beautiful Presque Isle...this alone would bring me here!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Erie's new VH1 style pop-up video with great views and fun facts!

YouTube - Erie Pennsylvania Pop Up Video

Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 AM

55 posts, read 189,987 times
^ Awful and inaccurate. Did someone's kid compose that music on a Casio sk-1 keyboard in 1990?

Erie founded in 1896? Try 1795.

Who produced that crap?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 AM

148 posts, read 637,922 times
This is sort of off topic but Erie is so dissimilar from the rest of the state. It sits in the northwest corner of the state where the nearest other metro areas are across state line, past the diagonal mountains and mountain city and very far from the southeast triangle with Philly and the satellites: York, Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and Allentown. I think PA is sort of like 3 states with the "Northeast" part with Philly and satellites, Appalachian cities (Pittsburgh, Altoona, WilkesBarre, and Scranton), and then Erie and the rural counties around it.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,276,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoInPA View Post
This is sort of off topic but Erie is so dissimilar from the rest of the state. It sits in the northwest corner of the state where the nearest other metro areas are across state line, past the diagonal mountains and mountain city and very far from the southeast triangle with Philly and the satellites: York, Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and Allentown. I think PA is sort of like 3 states with the "Northeast" part with Philly and satellites, Appalachian cities (Pittsburgh, Altoona, WilkesBarre, and Scranton), and then Erie and the rural counties around it.
Most of the cities in Pa. are in clusters Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, Harrisburg/Lancaster/York/Reading. Erie, on the other hand is way out in the northwest corner of the state all alone. I think alot of people forget about Erie because of this. It almost should belong to Ohio, with Cleveland and Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania