Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 PM

665 posts, read 1,927,004 times

Advertisements

I live down the jersey shore and am looking to relocate . How is Lewistown for living . Are there any major stores or are they a drive? How are the taxes ?I saw some nice homes cheap.Is Lewistown in the middle of nowhere, sort of: ? I love the mnts and saw them in photos.The town looks very nice.sorry for all the questions. But thank you..... Phyllis n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,331 times
It's a nice town, but it's really isolated. I don't think I could live there 'cause I'd feel like I was in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,682 times
It is kind of in the middle of nowhere.. but that's part of its charm... you certainly won't have to deal with the maddening sprawltopia that is Southeast PA. It's in stunningly beautiful territory in the ridge and valley region... and it's really a quick drive if you want to go to Harrisburg for shopping (1 hour on US322)... and State College (Penn State) is only a half hour away for culture and fun. There are lots of beautiful state parks nearby that offer hiking, swimming and cross-country skiing... such as Poe Paddy and Reed's Gap.

The town itself has a lot of old 19th century rowhouses and an attractive downtown that has taken a beating since Electric Ave. (the suburban commercial strip) took over.

Civil War monument downtown with mountains in the background

typical residential streets

downtown businesses

Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 AM

665 posts, read 1,927,004 times
Thank you so much for the pictures and help...

Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 PM

39 posts, read 186,519 times
Hopefully you will still consider Lewistown as a place to relocate, I actually moved here from the middle of nowhere and consider this area urban.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I live down the jersey shore and am looking to relocate . How is Lewistown for living . Are there any major stores or are they a drive? How are the taxes ?I saw some nice homes cheap.Is Lewistown in the middle of nowhere, sort of: ? I love the mnts and saw them in photos.The town looks very nice.sorry for all the questions. But thank you..... Phyllis n
Hi, We live down by the Jersey shore as well and we are looking to move to Lewistown.

If you already moved to Lewistown, What do you think of the area?
I am interested to see how a fellow New Jerseyian views Lewistown.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 AM

69 posts, read 252,956 times
New factory gets approval

By Frank Jost, Sentinel reporter, fjost@lewistownsentinel.com

LEWISTOWN — Preliminary plans for a paper manufacturing company to build a new facility that would create hundreds of jobs in Mifflin County received conditional approval Monday night from the Granville Township Board of Supervisors.

The board approved the plans submitted on behalf of

First Quality Enterprises Inc., pending review by the Granville Township Planning Commission, the Mifflin County Conservation District and other governing entities.

Chad Stafford, a consulting engineer with Penn Terra Engineering in State College, presented the plans before the board Monday night.

“This development will bring 1,000 jobs to the area over a six-year period. First Quality has a very aggressive development schedule,” Stafford said.

A New York-based paper products manufacturer with facilities already located in Pennsylvania, news of First Quality’s interest in Mifflin County was announced in September 2006.

At that time, company officials accepted $1.5 million in state funding to develop the infrastructure needed to support a new manufacturing facility in what is known as Mifflin County Industrial Park East — a 316-acre tract of land located between the Juniata River and the intersection of Loop and Locust roads in Granville Township.

First Quality is a diversified family of companies manufacturing adult incontinence products, feminine hygiene products, non-woven roll goods, baby wipes, adult washcloths and consumer paper products, serving institutional and retail markets throughout the world.

“First Quality will purchase the land from the Mifflin County Industrial Development Company and construct a sewage pumping station and other necessary infrastructure to support its planned facilities,” Stafford said.

“We have submitted the plans for stormwater management and earth-moving activities to Dan Taptich (township engineer) and Mary Pursel (township zoning officer) for their review,” he continued.

Stafford said phase one of First Quality’s plan is to construct a 985,000 square foot diaper-manufacturing facility and have it operational by March 2008. Phase two of the plan calls for a second diaper-manufacturing facility to be operational by 2010, he continued.

“Phases one and two combined are expected to create at least 800 jobs for the area,” Stafford said.

Phase three of the plan, projected for completion by 2014, calls for an expansion of the two facilities to accommodate the company’s future manufacturing needs, leading to the creation of additional jobs, he explained.

“It could expand into a tissue plant, or another diaper-making facility ... it remains to be seen,” Stafford said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania