Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,731 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

My husband has been offered an opportunity in Lititz and we are considering moving here from the UK. We have a 7 year old boy. This would be a big move for us and super exciting. I just wondered how welcoming you guys are to people from the UK.

Sally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 10:40 AM

325 posts, read 368,515 times
Well, if you have the mindset that Brexit is good for the UK, think that BoJo is doing a great job, and the policies of the Tories are superb, then small town PA might be a great fit. Otherwise, it might be a bit of a culture shock.

Last edited by E-Z-B; 12-24-2021 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-24-2021, 11:11 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Lititz is much more civilized and desirable than most of rural PA. It's really a lovely town.

Coming from the UK, I think it's definitely worthwhile to consider (I think Americans are generally pretty fond of Brits, for what that's worth).

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2021, 09:53 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Do you intend to buy or rent and what is your housing budget? The only area that I recommend in Lancaster County is Manheim Township (not to be confused with Manheim Borough, which is separate). Manheim Township Schools are the best in the county. Many Lancaster professionals as well as Franklin & Marshall (F&M) faculty reside in the township. Many newcomers also live there- very important in making friends in an area where the natives are not known for friendliness.

Lancaster PA people are rude

Making friends in NEPA

Old 12-26-2021, 10:40 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,067 times
Lititz is pretty nice. I have family that lives very close (and ancestral roots in that general area of Pennsylvania). They are friendly, but the conversation might tend to circle back to God a lot. I don't know how common that is there in general, however.

I wouldn't worry about extreme culture shock from moving to a small town like this. It's not particularly isolated. If you want a more cosmopolitan experience, you will be close to Lancaster, and not all that far from Philadelphia.

Enjoy the distinctive cultural traditions it has to offer. The Pennsylvania German food traditions can be quite good, if calorie-laden. I think lots of locally grown produce is available (much of it probably "organic" without actually bearing that label).

For a literary take on Moravian-influenced Pennsylvania, but not Lititiz in particular, you might enjoy reading the poet H.D.'s memoir The Gift (which I read in the original condensed edition put out by New Directions, but which I haven't read in the complete form published by University Press of Florida). I am reminded now that it was "written in London during the blitz of World War II." And actually, I only just now discovered just how Moravian Lititz's roots are, but it doesn't surprise me. The Moravians created a great deal of cultural infrastructure, some of which remains. Bethlehem's Moravian Book Shop is the oldest in America, although at this point I think I read it is run by Barnes & Noble, rather than being independently run.

(Where the heck did my copy of The Gift go anyway? I must have loaned it to someone and not gotten it back.)

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 12-26-2021 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-28-2021, 08:10 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
Tom Wolf is a mess( like NJ's Murphy and NY's Cuomo was) but they're small time operators when it comes to Boris Johnson. That guy is fundamentally a POS. So Lititz will be a step up no matter what.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:42 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,880 times
Lititz is a very nice town. Tends to lean on the blue collar side, but the people are very friendly and the town itself has many resources for children. Check out the Lititz Rec Center as they have many activities for kids and families.

We moved right next door in Manheim Township and we love it. Lots of out of state people in Township and good diversity. I'd say more white collar than Lititz.

What school district will you be in? Many Lititz addresses are actually zoned for Manheim Township and not Lititz which is Warwick Township school district. Pennsylvania and their townships can be a little confusing haha.

Housing can be very challenging so be prepared to be open minded and patient. Lots of people moving to this area.

There are a number of Brits that we know in Manheim Township. From my experience, American's in Lancaster have a very fondness for the English. A number of my daughter's parents and two of her soccer coaches are from the UK. I'm sure you will have no problem. Best of luck!

Old 12-30-2021, 09:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Lititz is much more civilized and desirable than most of rural PA. It's really a lovely town.

Coming from the UK, I think it's definitely worthwhile to consider (I think Americans are generally pretty fond of Brits, for what that's worth).

Good luck!
Is Lititz really rural? I envisioned it as being a charming small town that is fully-linked to Lancaster via Manheim Township, which is a sea of urban sprawl that houses thousands of higher-earning transplants.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:29 PM

8,064 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Is Lititz really rural? I envisioned it as being a charming small town that is fully-linked to Lancaster via Manheim Township, which is a sea of urban sprawl that houses thousands of higher-earning transplants.
I saw a sack of grain for sale today, stamped with Snavely's Mill located on Snavely's Mill Road in Lititz, PA. So if they are milling locally grown grain there, at least there's some rurality hanging on.

https://www.snavelysmill.com/

Old 12-30-2021, 06:53 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Lititz has been assimilated by the sprawl monster. Now it is just a depressing nightmare of endless traffic and bloated retired boomers from Philly and NYC staggering in the crosswalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania