Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM

645 posts, read 1,539,810 times

Advertisements

Curious what you can tell me about Titusville - Your thoughts, opinions, experiences...

I live about 40 miles from it, and it is on my radar for a potential move in retirement. Seems like a pretty nice place full of history when I have traveled through/have visited, and looks like so many other small towns in the area/W. PA. For a population of 5300 (declining trend I'm afraid), I am surprised of what it has to offer for its small size, but concerned that potential population loss might mean loss of local businesses... It does have a super Wal-Mart just outside of town, two good sized supermarkets, auto parts and farm stores, library, a hospital, Pitt University branch campus, several banks, some manufacturing, etc...

Home prices are very reasonable, taxes seem low compared to other areas nearby (Meadville), it seemed pretty laid back, slower pace, and delightfully 'boring' (you folks know exactly what I mean). My ideal situation would be to buy a place on say 5 or so acres where I can shoot and hunt on the property, fish when I want, volunteer, be a good neighbor, enjoy quiet solitude, and that's about it. Was just in Tionesta (pop. 450 souls) and saw the only grocery store in town is closed, many businesses running reduced hours and days, and a pall of diminishment; Titusville seems absolutely bustling by comparison.

Of course like so many areas around Titusville, heck it seems the whole USA almost, a big gig you will read is of extreme drug use/crime via such use, and I can't say I have ever had a problem... Theft can be an issue I suppose, but since I do not associate with drug users/dealers, I have never had a problem anywhere, even in so called 'bad' places. One concern is acceptance of newcomers - I'm looking to blend in with everyone, not try and change the way of life, and this has always been how I do it... Usually I have found you get what you give; Just the same I have lived in places where a larger % folks just seem surly/unfriendly, even when treated with friendliness and kindness. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 04:26 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
you might get some responses in the PA forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pennsylvania/

Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Titusville is nice. Has a brewpub and some good food. Slippery Rock area is also good. I just go to the brewpub and know there is some money in that area which helps. Have a visit and look around. I like it there.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
I love Titusville. There is plenty of history, architecture, and scenic beauty for such a small town. I could easily see myself living there, in an old house in town -- someday when I tire of the bigger cities completely.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 AM

298 posts, read 482,073 times
Afraid I can't give info on Titusville but....
When we first moved to Cashtown (pop 492 with us), a friend gave us a very valuable suggestion.

Join the local volunteer Fire Dept. No, you don't have to go fight fires if you don't want to. We joined to help with fundraising efforts, work in the kitchen, do repair work, computer work...whatever is needed that we have the skill set for. You will find folks of all political stripe in a Fire Dept and as long as you work hard, show up for meetings, take on responsibilities, they won't care. At least ours doesn't Oh and we are 55 and 68 yrs old .

Between our business and the Fire Dept, we are busier than ever. Our business is not dependent on a lot of foot traffic - we do book shows, bookbinding work etc.

Sounds like you have started to fall in love with Titusville. Go for it!

Old 08-23-2019, 05:27 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,258 times
It has a funny name.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:51 AM

645 posts, read 1,539,810 times
Thank you everyone, and for the fire department tip.

I took a full day trip back to Titusville, with my first stop to the chamber of commerce. Had a nice visit, learned a lot with frank talk and frank answers, and got answers to my questions/quashing rumors I had heard prior to my visit. One rumor put to rest, at last for now was that of the potential closing of Pitt University Titusville... Flat out was told that is not happening, and in fact some $$$ was being put into the campus. Nice to hear, as having this campus is a very definite plus for me, adding to the desirability of the town.

Next stop was to a local family owned real estate agency to get the feel of the town, and look around as to available rentals/homes for sale. I enjoyed the experience, and then off into town to shop a bit, and take in the vibe that can only be gotten with 'boots on the ground'. It really was surprising for a town of just over 5500 residents to shop at a Giant Eagle, and right next to it was a Save-A-Lot grocery store as well. A WM super center w/groceries is located just outside of town as well. Several banks, including a PNC, and PNC drive through only are there as well. Lots of bars, and other general town type stuff too. Noticed a lot of logging trucks on the roads as well.

The vibe felt very much classical rural W. PA in my experience, with that sort of better days pall hanging in the air. Did see some rather profoundly dilapidated homes/buildings, but also the fine homes from the boom days from the distant past. Folks seem a bit standoffish, not as back-slappy as Pittsburgh area folks, but none were rude or openly unpleasant. The outlying areas seemed again very similar to my experience when I lived in rural'ish Westmoreland, Beaver, Mercer or other Crawford county area's, with seemingly some pretty profound signs of blight and poverty. I will say the pace of life, traffic seemed to me noticeably slower, but maybe I caught them on a slow day? I hope this is the case, as this factor along with a quiet, peaceful environment is my absolute #1, immutable priority for my next move.

Like my visits to so many parts of PA, I can't help but be left with a profound feeling of so much potential if rediscovered, revitalized, embrace what is at your feet... The area is beautiful, and I can't help to think what areas like this would go for 'out west', in the PNW, etc... Just as I have experienced so many new visitors to Pittsburgh gasp at its beauty before their eyes, and can not believe how cheap the area is for what you get... I know it's all about perspective perhaps based in past hardship, and the lament of good days gone by are at the heart of this for some, never the less I feel this and I know W.PA is by far not alone in this regard. I was a child/young adult living and growing up in Beaver Co. during the 70's and 80's, and well remember the decline, and following diaspora... Hard things for many to let go, even when long gone and seemingly better times are here for many.

Lastly I thought I would share a few photos I snapped - Drakes Well, it's interior, and beautiful Oil Creek just outside of town near and at the well site. Should mention that despite the well being less than 2 miles from town, there was not any/barely any cell service... Things get very rural in a hurry in this neck of the woods. Thanks for reading, and again for the help.

Attached Thumbnails
Tell me about Titusville PA...-750_5670.jpg   Tell me about Titusville PA...-750_5660resized.jpg   Tell me about Titusville PA...-750_5648small.jpg   Tell me about Titusville PA...-750_5666small.jpg  

Old 08-24-2019, 01:36 PM

298 posts, read 482,073 times
Yup, you are in love with the area....

You did your homework, now find your next home Thanks for the pictures!!! So pretty. Yes, there may have been better days in the past but who knows what the future will bring especially with new blood to help revitalize things. Even us "retirees" can help bring a community back to its feet again.

Now I am off to a community barbecue where I will meet more new people!

...I only hope you have found your next home and are in love with it as much as we are with ours, and our new town.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
I really enjoyed your post and overview of Titusville. I just bought a house in Kittanning, and am looking forward to my move there. Like you, I am attracted to the idea of a slower pace, and the peaceful vibe of the country. Kittanning and Titusville are similar in the way most older towns in western PA are, with walkable business districts, classic architecture, lovely scenery, and a feeling of faded glory.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:05 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
love your narrative, Jay, and the photos. Makes me want to visit. Maybe I will next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania