Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:55 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you look at the statistics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America) very few people are killed by bear every year. Coyote attacks are even more rare: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attack. The most dangerous animal in the US are deer that kill about 200 drivers every year and cause $1.1 billion dollars in property damage. For most rural residents it is a treat to be able to see a bear or coyote in the wild.
I'm sure you're correct I should have stayed away from that Grizzly guy doc! Bears have always terrified me, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 06:44 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Last year we had something digging under our raised off the ground SunRoom. Hubs caught some strange looking animal on camera. I said it looked like an animal with mange. We sent the pictures to the Game Commissioner. They wrote back to us saying it was either a Coyote or Fox with MANGE!!! Animal lover ME was right! lol

At any rate it never affected our life. Let it BE.

Edit: I see deer crossing the road all the time. Stop, honk, and wait until they cross the road. There is a reason why they post deer crossing on road signs! Slow down and LOOK!
Except deer do not know how to read! Many of the deer/car collisions occur were you never expect them and there are no signs around.

One critical error drivers make is that they watch the deer that crossed and feel they are safe. Unfortunately deer are social creatures and many times have the whole extended family unit following. If your eyes follow the one that crossed you will miss their friends and family members that are following. It is always best to slow down if one crosses in front of you and look to see if others are following.

I'm not a honker. I just open the window and holler to get out the damn road! But, besides not being able to read; their English isn't great!

If deer are being chased by coyotes or hunters motorist do not have time to respond. They run fast and jump high and far; so you might not have a chance to respond. Many motorist will get killed by swerving off the road to avoid a deer/car collision. Always keep in mind that a deer's body is considerably softer than a tree. If you do not have time to slow down; hit the deer and stay on the road. The beginning of our traditional rifle season (right after Thanksgiving) is a dangerous time for motorist. Mating season also has increased collisions (that is also about the same time).

Old 06-07-2019, 04:05 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Except deer do not know how to read! Many of the deer/car collisions occur were you never expect them and there are no signs around.
That's the problem. Why do they put the deer crossing signs in high traffic areas? Let them cross where there is little traffic so they don't get hit!

Old 06-07-2019, 05:30 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's the problem. Why do they put the deer crossing signs in high traffic areas? Let them cross where there is little traffic so they don't get hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvNpKL3gSg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania