Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 PM

9 posts, read 7,875 times

Advertisements

I found a nice place in Shillington. Any views on what Shillington's like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:20 AM

429 posts, read 720,607 times
Shillington is great. Suburban at heart but 5 - 10 minute drive to anything and a safe place to live. Sidewalks for strolling. Good school district (not that you need that yet). HUGE July 4th carnival every year. I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
Shillington is great. Suburban at heart but 5 - 10 minute drive to anything and a safe place to live. Sidewalks for strolling. Good school district (not that you need that yet). HUGE July 4th carnival every year. I'm sure you'll love it.
Thank you! we also need to buy furniture, where can I find reasonably priced furniture? Ikea isn't very close from what I saw

Old 03-31-2018, 12:36 PM

Furniture... Wow, I had to think about that for a bit. We bought our good Broyhill or Pennsylvania House furniture decades ago and we have lots of hand-me-downs.... However, we do go to Ikea in the Norristown area for shelves sometimes (or for cheap/good Swedish meals). There is a better furniture store not far at all from Shillington called "David's Furniture" . They might be pricey, though.

Then, while I was out shopping at Boscov's for a curtain rod today I thought: Boscov's! Of course! It is a department store but they have some good stuff. Your Shillington home is 5 - 10 minutes from the Boscov's in the Berkshire Mall (like I said earlier - you are 5 - 10 minutes from everything). I've gotten a wooden daybed from them plus a pop-up trundle and mattresses when a kid room became a guest room. And I got another bed plus mattress set for another guestroom when another kid left and took his furniture with him. These do not get used hard but I've had them for a few years and they are great for guests and grandkids. They have a lot of upholstered furniture at budget prices, too. I know a gal who bought matching easy chairs for her living room and when the chairs were delivered, one was soiled, so she didn't take it. They left it on the truck and delivered a good one a week later that came out of the stock in another store.

Helpful hint: If you are looking for budget clearance stock, across the street from Boscov's East store along 422 (Perkiomen Avenue) is the Boscov furniture outlet with lots of brand new floor model or one-of-a-kind furniture. The prices are more than reasonable and sometimes you get a gem. So, good luck!

Old 04-01-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Furniture... Wow, I had to think about that for a bit. We bought our good Broyhill or Pennsylvania House furniture decades ago and we have lots of hand-me-downs.... However, we do go to Ikea in the Norristown area for shelves sometimes (or for cheap/good Swedish meals). There is a better furniture store not far at all from Shillington called "David's Furniture" . They might be pricey, though.

Then, while I was out shopping at Boscov's for a curtain rod today I thought: Boscov's! Of course! It is a department store but they have some good stuff. Your Shillington home is 5 - 10 minutes from the Boscov's in the Berkshire Mall (like I said earlier - you are 5 - 10 minutes from everything). I've gotten a wooden daybed from them plus a pop-up trundle and mattresses when a kid room became a guest room. And I got another bed plus mattress set for another guestroom when another kid left and took his furniture with him. These do not get used hard but I've had them for a few years and they are great for guests and grandkids. They have a lot of upholstered furniture at budget prices, too. I know a gal who bought matching easy chairs for her living room and when the chairs were delivered, one was soiled, so she didn't take it. They left it on the truck and delivered a good one a week later that came out of the stock in another store.

Helpful hint: If you are looking for budget clearance stock, across the street from Boscov's East store along 422 (Perkiomen Avenue) is the Boscov furniture outlet with lots of brand new floor model or one-of-a-kind furniture. The prices are more than reasonable and sometimes you get a gem. So, good luck!
Thank you so much! This was very helpful, will definitely check out Boscov's! Thank you for being so helpful! God bless you!

Old 04-02-2018, 02:36 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,211,140 times
@Jeanine........Anything new going on these days in downtown Reading? Any recent developments or is it basically the same? I have a big decision to make in a year or two after my overseas employement is complete, to either move closer to Philly, or move where my family is near Wyomissing. I'd love to see Reading have a brighter future, but its such an up hill battle. Thanks

Old 04-02-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
@Jeanine........Anything new going on these days in downtown Reading? Any recent developments or is it basically the same? I have a big decision to make in a year or two after my overseas employement is complete, to either move closer to Philly, or move where my family is near Wyomissing. I'd love to see Reading have a brighter future, but its such an up hill battle. Thanks
Hi Jake - Well, the annual week-long Berks Jazz Fest starts on Friday so everybody has their Sunday best and their biggest smiles on right now 'cause company's coming. One can hardly be pessimistic when you're putting your best foot forward, you might say. As a lifelong Berks Countian, I would say things are gradually improving.

The county is great, honestly. Employment, investment, quality of life - great. Our heart, our county seat, Reading, has been troubled for some time now but seems to be (oh so gradually) improving.

First, if you don't have good schools, you don't get good residents, and Reading schools have been problematic for some time. I am heartened by the fact that the school board is not bickering like they were previously, and Superintendent Mumin has turned down a flashy job out of state, and for the forseeable future is providing strong leadership - and he's just really approachable (unlike some previous heads who stayed behind the desk and never interacted with the teachers and principals - but lets not dwell on the past).

Second, the city is a majority minority city, which is a mixed blessing. As white flight gutted many midsized cities, Reading was a soft spot to land for immigrants and poorer folks from the big cities that had gotten priced out and scared out of their homes. The Puerto Ricans first, then Dominicans, Salvadorans, Mexicans, lots of Hispanics; and you know what, they stabilized the city by living in the row homes that could have disintegrated. Their kids are energetic and optimistic and I hope they all buy homes that have been rented, rented, rented by absentee landlords.

Third, with the Sovereign, now Santander civic center/performing arts center Reading became a place to go to. The Reading Fightin Phils have been wonderful residents of the city. The Reading Area Community College is a gem. Our local colleges: Albright, Alvernia and Penn State Berks have had a positive impact on the city, as did the entertainment/cultural corner of Goggle Works, Goggle Works Apartments, and Imax 10 theater. I've heard of two large companies moving into Gorgeous classic buildings on Penn Street this year and I'm excited, but I'm holding my breath. Check back at the end of the year, Jake, and I'll tell you how I think Reading did in 2018. (BTW, thanks for thinking of us)

Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Hi Jake - Well, the annual week-long Berks Jazz Fest starts on Friday so everybody has their Sunday best and their biggest smiles on right now 'cause company's coming. One can hardly be pessimistic when you're putting your best foot forward, you might say. As a lifelong Berks Countian, I would say things are gradually improving.

The county is great, honestly. Employment, investment, quality of life - great. Our heart, our county seat, Reading, has been troubled for some time now but seems to be (oh so gradually) improving.

First, if you don't have good schools, you don't get good residents, and Reading schools have been problematic for some time. I am heartened by the fact that the school board is not bickering like they were previously, and Superintendent Mumin has turned down a flashy job out of state, and for the forseeable future is providing strong leadership - and he's just really approachable (unlike some previous heads who stayed behind the desk and never interacted with the teachers and principals - but lets not dwell on the past).

Second, the city is a majority minority city, which is a mixed blessing. As white flight gutted many midsized cities, Reading was a soft spot to land for immigrants and poorer folks from the big cities that had gotten priced out and scared out of their homes. The Puerto Ricans first, then Dominicans, Salvadorans, Mexicans, lots of Hispanics; and you know what, they stabilized the city by living in the row homes that could have disintegrated. Their kids are energetic and optimistic and I hope they all buy homes that have been rented, rented, rented by absentee landlords.

Third, with the Sovereign, now Santander civic center/performing arts center Reading became a place to go to. The Reading Fightin Phils have been wonderful residents of the city. The Reading Area Community College is a gem. Our local colleges: Albright, Alvernia and Penn State Berks have had a positive impact on the city, as did the entertainment/cultural corner of Goggle Works, Goggle Works Apartments, and Imax 10 theater. I've heard of two large companies moving into Gorgeous classic buildings on Penn Street this year and I'm excited, but I'm holding my breath. Check back at the end of the year, Jake, and I'll tell you how I think Reading did in 2018. (BTW, thanks for thinking of us)

Thanks Jeanie. Great insight and I think its wonderful your outlook is very positive. I'm hoping and praying for the city of Reading, but we'll see. I do like the way you see things.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 PM

32,967 posts, read 36,456,285 times
I'd choose to live closer to Philly unless it caused an unpleasant daily commute.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd choose to live closer to Philly unless it caused an unpleasant daily commute.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm just concerned with my mother and as she gets older, I'd like to be closer to her in Wernersville. I most likely will live closer to Philly, not because I have to work in that area, but just because there is more to offer. My wife and daughter are Asian, and Philly has more going for kids in general, but also has more of a Chinese community, Asian grocery stores, churches and so on.

I do really like the Reading area, and its a beautiful rural area, but the towns I'd be interested in I don't understand. Wyomissing is the jewel of the Reading area, but the property taxes are so high. Even parts of Sinking Spring have very high property taxes. Not sure what justifies those much higher property taxes compared to other towns in that area. Not sure I'd want to pay 10k in property taxes in Wyomissing, when I can pay around 7k or 8k in Downingtown or Phoenixville, which is closer to Philly and offers more for families as well as restaurants and so forth.

Still, a lot to be discussed with my family once we move to PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania