Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,822 times

Advertisements

I've been a lurker for a while, and have found some helpful info on this topic but nothing recent (within the last 6-12 months). My SO will be starting a 1-year job in Altoona in July and we are trying to figure out where to live (likely in an apartment). For some background, we are from NJ/NY and currently live in the Baltimore metro area so used to being around a large, diverse population. This will be a change for us no matter what and we realize that. No kids yet, but TTC so quality medical care nearby is important, and we've already ruled out Altoona proper. I'm looking for jobs in the area but nothing set yet.

We are considering Hollidaysburg and State College. We are minorities so ideally would like a place we feel welcome and where there is diversity. State College seems to fit the bill and has more going for it in the way of culture/restaurants, but would give my SO a 45 min commute on a good day. How is the 99? Generally, is there traffic? Is it terrible in the winter?

All the specs I'm seeing for Hollidaysburg look fine (low crime rates, etc), it just seems out of the way and like there isn't much going on. Would it be doable for us for a year? I'm thinking we could take weekend trips to State College to get our fix of culture. But don't want to be so isolated that we're deeply unhappy.

Specific apartment complex recommendations for both areas would be good too.

Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM

325 posts, read 368,593 times
If it's only a 1-year job, I would suck up the 45 minute commute and just live in state college. You'll have more in common with people there and find more things to do, relatively speaking.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The winter roads question and can it be bad.

Yes. Very much.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
SC for sure. Plenty of apartments and townhouses for rent in all categories. Just try to avoid complexes where undergrads predominate.

99/220 from SC to Altoona is a very well engineered road. I've never had a problem driving it. Maybe the posters are thinking of that very long, very steep grade on 22 west of Altoona?

Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
SC for sure. Plenty of apartments and townhouses for rent in all categories. Just try to avoid complexes where undergrads predominate.

99/220 from SC to Hollidaysburg is a very well engineered road. I've never had a problem driving it. Maybe the posters are thinking of that very long, very steep grade on 22 west of Altoona?
There's that one, but winter in that area can be, interesting is the word. It can go from nothing to a bunch around the next bend.

The OP is coming from Maryland which shuts down at an inch accumulation on the grassy areas.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
State College hands down!!! Much more diverse and culture. More to do

Old 01-17-2017, 11:48 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
I-99 does not get the snow that, say, I-90 or I-81 in upstate NY can get. I-80 up to Snow Shoe and US 22 by Cresson can be fully as bad. I-99 is mostly new smooth concrete though, you don't have the number of potholes for traction that you find on I-81. (half joking).

As far as commuting is concerned, one drives to work every day (most of us), but you drive to play less often. I'm not following the attraction of Hollidaysburg compared to, say, Tyrone, especially if you don't have kids and you're renting. Admittedly there doesn't seem to be much rental housing between Tyrone and Toftrees. (Actually, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of market rate complex housing in Tyrone either, most seems to be Section 8 or senior housing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania