Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
For everyones knowledge, and BlackBeaty take a look at this:

And among peers, cpomp. Remember, according to you Philadelphians, we're not on the same tier. Yikes, we're near the bottom of ours... at least not dead last.

Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) 2010-2016:[list]
[*]Greater Houston MSA: + 852,054
[*]Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex MSA: +807,109
[*]Greater Atlanta MSA: + 502,972
[*]Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale MSA: + 501,752
[*]Greater Washington D.C. MSA: + 495,745
[*]Greater San Francisco/Oakland MSA: + 343,775
[*]Greater Boston MSA: + 242,045
[*]Greater Philadelphia MSA: + 105,157

[*]Greater Denver MSA: + 309,595
[*]Greater Charlotte MSA: + 257,302
[*]Greater Portland MSA: + 198,946
[*]Greater Baltimore MSA: + 88,397
[*]Greater Cincinnati MSA: + 50,559
[*]Greater Pittsburgh MSA: -13,986
[*]Greater Cleveland MSA: -21,628
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Speagles, what exactly are you suppose to be saying? only on this silly ass website would someone try to say losing 13k is better than gaining 105k. "dead last out of an arbitrary list I made so I can try to make the other city look bad."

I will repeat what I said to black beauty, if I were making an arguement for Pittsburgh population and domestic migration numbers would not be ones I would use.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think it is worth noting that the Toshiba owned Westinghouse was really just a shell of the company that must of us think of as Westinghouse. The real Westinghouse corp. merged with CBS corporation and sold off the nuclear business to Toshiba may years ago.

It's ashame though that it has gone into bankruptcy. Hopefully they retain most of the 4500 in Cranberry.
I remember when the Westinghouse fallout rocked Pittsburgh to the core. The Nuclear Division is still named Westinghouse as is the new corporate campus. I believe there are other Westinghouse spin offs in the Pittsburgh area. Wabtec still uses the original 1869 Westinghouse campus in Wilmerding.

The Westinghouse mansion that served as the air brake headquarters will become a bed and breakfast / conference center. the same developer the developed the Priory on the Northside is responsible for this conversion. Wilmerding sits beneath the Westinghouse bridge and is nestled in the hills.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Speagles, what exactly are you suppose to be saying? only on this silly ass website would someone try to say losing 13k is better than gaining 105k. "dead last out of an arbitrary list I made so I can try to make the other city look bad."

I will repeat what I said to black beauty, if I were making an arguement for Pittsburgh population and domestic migration numbers would not be ones I would use.
That is literally the list they previously posted, just separated into Philadelphia and Pittsburghs peer cities. I'm pointing out while Philadelphia did grow alot circa 2010 to 2013, it has slowed so much that is dead last in its peers. Pittsburgh faces a similar problem among its peers.

Also, until this past estimate, Pittsburgh's domestic migration was postive. That's why it was gaining population 2008 to 2013, along with international migration. It was enough to cancel the huge birth / death ratio we have in this metro. The last 2 years (when we started losing population again), domestic has turned negative with all the energy sector losses putting us in the red again.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
That is literally the list they previously posted, just separated into Philadelphia and Pittsburghs peer cities. I'm pointing out while Philadelphia did grow alot circa 2010 to 2013, it has slowed so much that is dead last in its peers. Pittsburgh faces a similar problem among its peers.

Also, until this past estimate, Pittsburgh's domestic migration was postive. That's why it was gaining population 2008 to 2013, along with international migration. It was enough to cancel the huge birth / death ratio we have in this metro. The last 2 years (when we started losing population again), domestic has turned negative with all the energy sector losses putting us in the red again.
I just thought you purposely left off Chicago to make your "dead last" point.

It would be interesting to look at domestic migration numbers. Just looking at stuff on my phone, i see in 2010 34k left and 36k came, I would be curious to see what 2016s numbers look like.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I just thought you purposely left off Chicago to make your "dead last" point.

It would be interesting to look at domestic migration numbers. Just looking at stuff on my phone, i see in 2010 34k left and 36k came, I would be curious to see what 2016s numbers look like.
No, please Chicago and Philadelphia are NOT peer cities.

I think it was about -3k

Old 03-29-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I remember when the Westinghouse fallout rocked Pittsburgh to the core. The Nuclear Division is still named Westinghouse as is the new corporate campus. I believe there are other Westinghouse spin offs in the Pittsburgh area. Wabtec still uses the original 1869 Westinghouse campus in Wilmerding.

The Westinghouse mansion that served as the air brake headquarters will become a bed and breakfast / conference center. the same developer the developed the Priory on the Northside is responsible for this conversion. Wilmerding sits beneath the Westinghouse bridge and is nestled in the hills.
Interesting. Westinghouse reminds me a lot of DuPont. DuPont today is just a shell of the company they once were. The DuPont's were the richest family in the world and built epic estates all across the Philadelphia area.
DuPont split up their businesses a few years ago, and packaged their debt and liabilities into a company now called Chemours.

Just an interesting tidbit too: A lot of people aren't aware, but the Duponts owned a large portion of General Motors. GM became the number one auto maker in the world with Pierre DuPont as president. The US government forced the DuPonts to divest out of the company due to antitrust concerns.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
No, please Chicago and Philadelphia are NOT peer cities.

I think it was about -3k
Wait what.. why? Chicago and Philadelphia are absolutely peer cities. Why do you think Pittsburgh and Philly are but not Chicago and Philly.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Wait what.. why? Chicago and Philadelphia are absolutely peer cities. Why do you think Pittsburgh and Philly are but not Chicago and Philly.
I swear the logic from some of the Pittsburgh posters makes no sense!

Philadelphia has 5x the population of Pittsburgh and they are arguing that we are piers. Chicago has barely 2x the amount of people as Philly but we are not peers.

Philadelphia city and metro consistently gain population every census and Pittsburgh loses, yet we are made out to look bad and Pittsburgh population loss is a myth.

On a city and metro level Philadelphia and Chicago are most definitely peer cities. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are not peer cities in any aspect IMO, except that we are in the same state.

Can't you Pittsburghers just be happy that the Philadelphia metro is doing well (better than Pittsburghs).

And honestly speagles.. saying Philadelphia is "dead last" on the growth list while Pittsburgh is among the few metros that lost a significant amount of people is just silly, re-read your post and see how silly you sound. (also as others said, we are not dead last).

The entire metro of Pittsburgh is struggling, not just one county, Philadelphia MSA (PA and DE side) is slow yet steady growth, with the very healthy growers being Montgomery and Chester Counties.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Its not an insult if its the truth.

And all I read was blah blah blah Pittsburgh lost metro-wide while Philly gained. Keep up the good work.
Oh, so you actually do read? Shocking, here I thought all you were good for was flinging insults while Philly boosting.

Nice job, deflecting the agrument with MSA numbers to counter CITY NUMBERS, proves nothing except more people would rather live outside of Philly rather than in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania