Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 01:36 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,963,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Pittsburgh gets the big plays sure, but not all the smaller and unique plays which Philadelphia gets. The shows in Philadelphia will also likely run for a much longer period of time, where they may only run for 1 or 2 nights in Pittsburgh. Philadelphia also has a MUCH larger theater scene centered in Philadelphia than Pittsburgh has. Philadelphia's theater scene is infinitely better, and is in another tier altogether. Philadelphia is a top-10 national theater scene and would likely rank 5 or 6 out of every US city. Pittsburgh is a regional theater scene, and would likely rank 16 or 17 out of every major city.
Name some of the smaller and unique plays please. I am curious to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,250,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Pittsburgh gets the big plays sure, but not all the smaller and unique plays which Philadelphia gets. The shows in Philadelphia will also likely run for a much longer period of time, where they may only run for 1 or 2 nights in Pittsburgh. Philadelphia also has a MUCH larger theater scene centered in Philadelphia than Pittsburgh has. Philadelphia's theater scene is infinitely better, and is in another tier altogether. Philadelphia is a top-10 national theater scene and would likely rank 5 or 6 out of every US city. Pittsburgh is a regional theater scene, and would likely rank 16 or 17 out of every major city.
But it's a much smaller city and metro. It becomes like if Philly didn't do these better then a city more then 3-times smaller like Pittsburgh's size. Something would be drastically wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
A better question to some is just? What does Philly NOT have more of or better overall and more time given to Philly by touring venues? Compared to the 'Burg's size. Then some say it's nothing about boasting? Must be me. This match-up is far from fair. Top 3-tiered cities by populations, are comparable. But it becomes unfair very fast. When you enter Pittsburgh's tier to that of Philly's. That's how I see it.

But guess these two cities? Where Philly is more then 3-times the far larger one. Needing to verify it is the Premier, Better and more important city in PA? Is a ongoing need to verify it is better every day.

Pittsburgh's population of 306,500, metro area at 2.36 million.

Philadelphia's population 1,55 million, memo at over 6 million.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:31 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,360,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
But it's a much smaller city and metro. It becomes like if Philly didn't do these better then a city more then 3-times smaller like Pittsburgh's size. Something would be drastically wrong.

A better question to some is just? What does Philly NOT have more of or better overall and more time given to Philly by touring venues? Compared to the 'Burg's size. Then some say it's nothing about boasting? Must be me. This match-up is far from fair. Top 3-tiered cities by populations, are comparable. But it becomes unfair very fast. When you enter Pittsburgh's tier to that of Philly's. That's how I see it.

But guess these two cities? Where Philly is more then 3-times the far larger one. Needing to verify it is the Premier, Better and more important city in PA? Is a ongoing need to verify it is better every day.

I didn't really understand what you said.. but I got the drift that you think Philly posters are trying to prove something to you guys?

Do me a favor, go back to page one and look where this all began. BB made a ridiculous post completely trashing Philadelphia and boosting Pittsburgh and the thread derailed from there. If you want someone to blame, blame her, we are simply defending our great city from false word vomit attacks.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:23 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,110,127 times
Quote:
I think RightonWalnut was lumping together the touring Broadway shows and the local productions, large and small, in that previous comment.

Most Off-Broadway plays don't tour; instead, a local company may mount a production of the show in another city. The Wilma Theatre and the Philadelphia Theatre Company are probably the two largest local companies that do this.

They also mount productions of plays written and produced here. Jiri and Blanka Zizka, the founders and creative directors of the Wilma, are notable playwrights in their own right; PTC has a longstanding relationship with local playwright Bruce Graham, who regularly churns out plays based on life in this city; not all of his plays make their debut at the PTC, however.

The city's largest resident theater company, the Walnut Street Theatre (which is housed in the nation's oldest theater, dating to 1816), generally presents revivals of popular Broadway shows, but it has two smaller theaters where more experimental fare is staged.

Then there are the other resident companies, most of which present original* plays and productions of classics. The theater scene here is large enough - the Philadelphia Theatre Alliance lists 42 member companies in the tri-state region - to support a full-fledged theater awards program, the Barrymore Awards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

As cpomp said immediately above, most of this is the result of Blackbeauty212's attempts to portray Philadelphia as a weakling and Pittsburgh as somehow bigger than it is. Pittsburgh DOES outrank Philadelphia in some areas; it's certainly a stronger hub for tech R&D. And Philadelphia does punch below its weight in some areas - job growth in the city itself most notably. But all other things being equal, you will generally find more of <insert category here> in Philadelphia (city or metro) than in Pittsburgh for the very reason you give at the end: there are simply more Philadelphians, city and metro, and that means a bigger pool of talent and resources to draw from. My usual take on my adopted hometown is, "Philadelphia is underrated, and nobody underrates it more than the locals."

I'm going to have to add one more person to that last part of my statement.

*One of the few grammar and usage issues that really get my blood boiling - to the point where I will commit Netiquette violations and fire off email missives to people when I see it - is the misuse of the word "unique." I do so because "unique" is unique among words in English: it's the only word we have when we want to say, "There's only one of these" or "There's nothing else like it." If there's nothing else like it, there's nothing you can compare it to or measure it against; thus, something can't be "most unique" (the most common and flagrant misuse) or "very unique" (would you say something is "somewhat unique" or "a little bit unique"? No, "uniqueness" is an all-or-nothing proposition). Those other uses arise from the overuse of "unique" as a stand-in for other terms that do admit comparison: "unusual," "outstanding," "distinctive," or "original" - that last the best word to use when you want to convey singularity yet allow comparison. Technically speaking, "unique" wasn't misused here, for every play is indeed one of a kind. But it was still used in the sense of one of those other words I listed, and thus a contributor to the malaise I have dedicated myself to fighting in order to preserve the uniqueness of "unique." When it goes, we have noting to take its place.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,924,254 times
Arguing aside, this census estimate for PA is outright disturbing. MOST of Pittsburgh's MSA counties lost population and now HALF of Philadelphias counties in PA are losing people now. Wtf.

Large Counties in PA that lost population since 2015:
Allegheny
Bucks
Delaware
Berks
Westmoreland
Luzerne

Large Counties in PA now stagnant but still SLIGHT, SLIGHT growth:
Philadelphia
Chester
York
Butler

Large Counties in PA growing:
Montgomery
Lancaster
Lehigh
Northampton

Old 03-23-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Arguing aside, this census estimate for PA is outright disturbing. MOST of Pittsburgh's MSA counties lost population and now HALF of Philadelphias counties in PA are losing people now. Wtf.

Large Counties in PA that lost population since 2015:
Allegheny
Bucks
Delaware
Berks
Westmoreland
Luzerne

Large Counties in PA now stagnant but still SLIGHT, SLIGHT growth:
Philadelphia
Chester
York
Butler

Large Counties in PA growing:
Montgomery
Lancaster
Lehigh
Northampton
Delaware County grew ever so slightly.

I am very surprised at how much Chester County slowed down!

Montgomery County seems to be on fire with development, and it has a very strong job market, glad to see that.

Bucks County, I think the southern portion of the county has an older population/ those towns are becoming less desirable, and the wealthy northern parts have limited new construction to offset the lower losses.

Philadelphia needs to improve public schools and add more high paying jobs to keep up the growth trend.

The only reason the Philadelphia area actually grew (by 1000) is because of the growth on the PA side, SJ has been losing people for a long time. Northern DE has small growth like PA side.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Delaware County grew ever so slightly.

I am very surprised at how much Chester County slowed down!

Montgomery County seems to be on fire with development, and it has a very strong job market, glad to see that.

Bucks County, I think the southern portion of the county has an older population/ those towns are becoming less desirable, and the wealthy northern parts have limited new construction to offset the lower losses.

Philadelphia needs to improve public schools and add more high paying jobs to keep up the growth trend.

The only reason the Philadelphia area actually grew (by 1000) is because of the growth on the PA side, SJ has been losing people for a long time. Northern DE has small growth like PA side.
Delco had 563,894 in 2015 and 563,402 in 2016 for a net loss of 492.

Chester and Butler County (Pittsburghs equivalent to Chester) were COMPLETE shockers. I have no idea why they slowed so much.

Allegheny was a bummer, I thought it would post a slight gain. Philadelphia city population most likely got passed by the suburb of Phoenix

I knew Bucks was headed for a loss, but still it lost nearly a 1,000 in one year! I didn't think it would be that much.

What an awful year for PA. Only silver lining is that we pass Illinois next year because they are losing SO much population while we are only losing a bit.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Delco had 563,894 in 2015 and 563,402 in 2016 for a net loss of 492.

Chester and Butler County (Pittsburghs equivalent to Chester) were COMPLETE shockers. I have no idea why they slowed so much.

Allegheny was a bummer, I thought it would post a slight gain. Philadelphia city population most likely got passed by the suburb of Phoenix

I knew Bucks was headed for a loss, but still it lost nearly a 1,000 in one year! I didn't think it would be that much.

What an awful year for PA. Only silver lining is that we pass Illinois next year because they are losing SO much population while we are only losing a bit.
I guess because Delaware County is close to being maxed out for large scale development... the western portion of the county is steadily growing, but then you have Chester on the other side that is constantly losing people (though that may not be a bad thing).

As for the state, I don't see a long term losing trend, this may have just been a bad year. A lot of cities saw decline or very slow growth, not just us.

If Philadelphia can improve its schools in conjunction with more housing and corporate growth in the suburbs, I think they will be fine.

And Phoenix doesn't bother me, its 5 times more land area, if a city surpasses Philadelphia in actual numbers I am not upset, I just get upset when I see our own cities stagnant or losing while others are growing so fast.

I think Pittsburgh area biggest problem is its isolated location and competition from cities further east (Philadelphia, DC, NYC, Boston, etc.)

Wonder how different PA would be if Philly and Pittsburgh were closer together

Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I guess because Delaware County is close to being maxed out for large scale development... the western portion of the county is steadily growing, but then you have Chester on the other side that is constantly losing people (though that may not be a bad thing).

As for the state, I don't see a long term losing trend, this may have just been a bad year. A lot of cities saw decline or very slow growth, not just us.

If Philadelphia can improve its schools in conjunction with more housing and corporate growth in the suburbs, I think they will be fine.

And Phoenix doesn't bother me, its 5 times more land area, if a city surpasses Philadelphia in actual numbers I am not upset, I just get upset when I see our own cities stagnant or losing while others are growing so fast.

I think Pittsburgh area biggest problem is its isolated location and competition from cities further east (Philadelphia, DC, NYC, Boston, etc.)

Wonder how different PA would be if Philly and Pittsburgh were closer together
DC Baltimore

Honestly, I don't see how Allegheny slowed so much. Its still postive growth since 2010 but still not good. Almost makes me wonder if the losses of the rural parts of the state are averaged in with it or something idk. The entire county seems to be growing outside of the mon valley.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,271,959 times
Quote:
Theatre Philadelphia

There are almost 8000 seats alone on a two block stretch of South Broad Street: https://www.kimmelcenter.org/rent-our-venues/stages1/. And that's just on the west side of the street! Within a 5 or so block radius, you pull in the Forrest (1851 seats), the Walnut (1054 seats), the Prince (446 seats), the Suzanne Roberts (365 seats), the Wilma (296 seats) and the Drake (195 seats). Here's a list of 80 or so theatre companies operating in the Philly area: Best Theatre Group in the Philadelphia area - Philly A-List.

This is just part of the reason why Philly is recognized as one of the top 10 theatre companies in the US, as referenced earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania