Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider 001 View Post
Tell me about some awesome small towns between Pittsburgh & Erie. I've narrowed my destination down to Western PA. Now I need to narrow it down some more.

Here's what I like:
Country, outdoors, nature, parks, lakes, peace & quiet.
cheap rents, (I just need a cheap crappy 1 bedroom or studio to sleep & wash up)
No traffic
low population
Small/no lines at the post office or doctors office
easy access to highways
low crime

The only thing I really need is a 24 hour Walmart.

No,I don't care about employment, I don't care about schools & I don't care about nightlife. I like what most of you would call "boring". I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or party. And I can't stand being around people. The population is over 60,000 where I am now & I can't stand it. It's a small town in the middle of nowhere that has nothing to offer yet for some strange reason it has NYC traffic.
Try Clarion. Close to interstate 80, has a small shopping center and a small college. Nice little town. And if you drive north on 66 you'll be in one of the most remote sections of the Eastern US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM

335 posts, read 421,399 times
I think Meadville and Mercer are good picks. Franklin gets an honorable mention. Oil City is where I grew up, and I liked it. It's basically the same as Franklin, but perhaps marginally bigger and without the relatively quick access to the interstates. Of course, it's only 8 or so miles away from Franklin, so it's not a huge deal, especially since Franklin isn't right on the interstate either.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 AM

458 posts, read 656,711 times
Quote:
And I can't stand being around people.
LOL I love this comment! :0

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 AM

458 posts, read 656,711 times
Here's one of my favorite small Western PA towns..........Volant. It is a bit of a tourist spot, because they have an awesome little winery, craft shops, and a way awesome Orvis fly shop, but it's out of the way, like, Amish out of the way, and I think you would love it.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Hey good recommendation with Volant and it is also close to New Wilmington which is another small town I like.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
DH and I are like you, OP - we lived for 10 years in urban areas and hated it. We like space, quiet, privacy, solitude, nature, and boredom.

If you like outdoor activities, I think you might like the little borough of Jamestown, Pennsylvania in Mercer County, population 616. It's set in a beautiful wooded area, a stone's throw from Pymatuning State Park and the Pymatuning Lake. Pymatuning Lake is my favorite part of the area - it has two swim beaches that do get a bit crowded in the summer, but it is open sunrise to sunset...we go very early in the morning and often have the beach all to ourselves, or in the evening after the families leave. There is no lifeguard - it's swim at your own risk. We've often stayed past sunset for a moonlight swim. Technically that's not allowed - but if no park staff come to kick us out, what the heck? We also swim there up until the end of September, or until the water gets too cold. No motorized craft are allowed, but it's a great place for sailboats and canoeing. My father-in-law has a sailboat that we take there often.

If you want casual dining, great food, and small lines, there's Carini's (a small Italian restaurant) and Hunger Busters serves a large variety of soft ice cream. Not much shopping - there is a drug store and a small grocery store - but there is a Super Walmart in Greenville 10 miles away. The area has a lot of nice local wineries, too. There are lots of stands where local farmers (many of them Amish) sell their garden produce.

I also agree with what a previous poster said about Stoneboro...Sandy Lake is nearby and is nice, too.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Tell me about some awesome small towns between Pittsburgh & Erie. I've narrowed my destination down to Western PA. Now I need to narrow it down some more.

Here's what I like:
Country, outdoors, nature, parks, lakes, peace & quiet.
cheap rents, (I just need a cheap crappy 1 bedroom or studio to sleep & wash up)
No traffic
low population
Small/no lines at the post office or doctors office
easy access to highways
low crime

The only thing I really need is a 24 hour Walmart.

No,I don't care about employment, I don't care about schools & I don't care about nightlife. I like what most of you would call "boring". I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or party. And I can't stand being around people. The population is over 60,000 where I am now & I can't stand it. It's a small town in the middle of nowhere that has nothing to offer yet for some strange reason it has NYC traffic.
Honestly, I can think of no town I've been through in that area of PA which fits the bill better than Corry or Titusville. Both have populations well below 10,000 (enough to support a 24-hour Wal-Mart but not enough to cause traffic trouble). I'm familiar with both and though they're both on economic life support, if you don't need income but you do want stuff to do outdoors as well as highway access, each town is on a couple of the minor highways through the area. Corry is on route 6, which is hundreds of miles long.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,009 times
This is not to be rude. Only helpful. You would love Clarion, PA. Most people are "stand-offish". Wal-Mart and sheetz are open 24hrs. There is a severe lack of spirit. In town housing is more expensive, having the ability to rip off college students. It is a town like no other I have seen. You would fit in perfect.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Franklin and Oil City. I can't believe more people aren't moving there. Venango is one of the prettiest counties in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania