Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times

Advertisements

St. Marys is my regular stop on my bike rides. The stretch from Lock haven to St. Marys on 120 is breathtaking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
St. Marys is my regular stop on my bike rides. The stretch from Lock haven to St. Marys on 120 is breathtaking.
I have heard weird stories of St. Marys from a former resident; basically, that it is a "cult-like," deeply religious community that frowns on outsiders.

Then again, I've heard that most places I've lived frown on outsiders, and found it to be largely untrue.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Actually, St. Marys is downright "cosmopolitan" compared to some other places I have biked through. On that same Rt. 120 I passed through neighborhoods that were downright scary. Not in a crime sort of way but just in their sheer desolation. I don't think I saw a single gas station between Lock Haven and Emporium.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Actually, St. Marys is downright "cosmopolitan" compared to some other places I have biked through. On that same Rt. 120 I passed through neighborhoods that were downright scary. Not in a crime sort of way but just in their sheer desolation. I don't think I saw a single gas station between Lock Haven and Emporium.
Desolation or isolation? When you talk "middle of nowhere" that area of PA is the middle of the middle of nowhere.

People here can't figure out why I always get gas when I have a 1/2 tank. Growing up in that part of PA taught you to keep gas in the car, few stations and they all closed at 8 o'clock. And I'd move back in a heartbeat. Likely will, at least for summers, when I retire in a couple years.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,630 times
Quote:
I think they were referring more to the people and their mindset though.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
Quote:
That must have been Renovo. Not quite North Philly in Clinton County but appearance isn't much different.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM

20 posts, read 46,941 times
I like Strasburg, pa (home of the Strasburg railroad!) but it maybe be a little too tourists for some. Gettysburg is great, as is Hanover for the sleepy town experience.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
That must have been Renovo. Not quite North Philly in Clinton County but appearance isn't much different.
I can't say for sure that this was in Renovo but it was certainly in the vicinity. You see views like this all along 120. Simply gorgeous.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 AM

22 posts, read 67,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No, Westmont borders the city of Johnstown. It is not in the city. Some of the suburbs of Pittsburgh also have Pittsburgh mailing addresses. I used to live in Mt. Lebanon and had a Pittsburgh mailing address. That doesn't mean Mt. Lebanon is in the city of Pittsburgh. And Johnstown and Windber are eight miles apart, they don't even border each other.

Regarding the jobs in Johnstown, the future is not that good. John Murtha brought those jobs to Johnstown and with cutbacks on defense spending, don't expect those companies to stay in Johnstown.

I agree that if you don't need a job or can get by on a low paying job, places like Westmont, Richland and Conemaugh Township are good places to buy a house.
As natives' of Johnstown, we all refer to the entire area as "Johnstown," regardless of which borough we reside in, and that is correct because we all use the Johnstown mailing address. If we were talking with somebody from outside the area, who asked where we're from, we just say Johnstown because nobody knows the tiny little boroughs like "Westmont" or "Richland" that make up the greater Johnstown area.

If I had answered the original poster, I would have said 'That part of Johnstown is known as Old Westmont' (Because locally, people in Old Westmont tended to separate themselves from the smaller, newer ranch-and-split-level, new Westmont). The original poster didn't sound like a native, and said "not downtown;" so she seemed to see the overall area as "Johnstown;" which is how Johnstown natives present where they live outside of local discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania