Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 AM

219 posts, read 541,613 times

Advertisements

I have thoughts of moving to an Amish community near Lancaster, PA and I was wondering if anyone can tell me of the area and how hard is it to find a place to live and a job (I'm not concerned with getting my fingernails dirty or as an alternative, a "desk job").

I understand the Amish philosophy of not using electricity and therefore unable to respond via the Internet, but perhaps someone has a local friend and knows of the area? I use to live in Middlebury IN which is a very large Amish community (that is where I first learned about the Mennonite, btw). I'm not looking to a religious conversion, just to be in close proximity to that way of life.

Anyway, what is the rental/housing market like and job situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times
There's a difference between Amish and Mennonite.

As I understand it, the Amish are moving away from that area anyway. Not sure if it's for financial reason or they just got sick of being tourist attractions. There are some Amish up in Bradford Co. and a few in Susquehanna CO. I don't know any personally tho'.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

As I understand it, the Amish are moving away from that area anyway. Not sure if it's for financial reason or they just got sick of being tourist attractions. There are some Amish up in Bradford Co. and a few in Susquehanna CO. I don't know any personally tho'.
Where exactly do you get this (moving away) from?

There are also a sizable community of Amish in and around Mifflinburg (I think that is Union County) and Center County, also.

Might also try this 'national' Amish and Mennonite focused newspaper: The Budget Newspaper Home, but as you can imagine, you'll need to do the unheard of these days, and subscribe to the actual, real print edition.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post

There are also a sizable community of Amish in and around Mifflinburg (I think that is Union County) and Center County, also.

Might also try this 'national' Amish and Mennonite focused newspaper: The Budget Newspaper Home, but as you can imagine, you'll need to do the unheard of these days, and subscribe to the actual, real print edition.
ahhh, ok thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo
yup, use to live in Middlebury

Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Where exactly do you get this (moving away) from?

actually read it in the local paper a while back. found a couple of references on the internet. apparently they're running out of land as each son is supposed to inherit so much the farms are getting too small. (hope that makes sense)

anyway, here's one site.
Amish Studies

Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
actually read it in the local paper a while back. found a couple of references on the internet. apparently they're running out of land as each son is supposed to inherit so much the farms are getting too small. (hope that makes sense)

anyway, here's one site.
Amish Studies

Great! Thanks for the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania