Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 17,933 times

Advertisements

I got a job offer in Williamsport, PA and am looking to move there in two months.
I have r
ead articles talking about the rising crime rates in Williamsport so I am hesitant about living in there.Is there any small town around Williamsport a better place to live, preferable one that is between Williamsport and State College.
Also I have a 4 year old so I am much concerned about school districts.
We are Asians and would like a school with diversity (although I know there is not much diversity to be expected up there)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Lock Haven has a state college and might be worth looking into since that will bring a smidgen more ethnic diversity than other nearby communities have. Pending highway improvements will hopefully soon finally finish the conversion of US 220 into I-99.

Loyalsock Twp (suburban Williamsport) and Montoursville have generally well regarded schools but relatively little ethnic diversity.

If you are not having a need to go specifically to State College, you might look into Lewisburg as an alternative commutable town to Williamsport, home to Bucknell University.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliezj View Post
I got a job offer in Williamsport, PA and am looking to move there in two months.
I have r
ead articles talking about the rising crime rates in Williamsport so I am hesitant about living in there.Is there any small town around Williamsport a better place to live, preferable one that is between Williamsport and State College.
We are Asians and would like a school with diversity (although I know there is not much diversity to be expected up there)
have you looked at city data's crime info? it would seem there's more bark than bite in those claims.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM

712 posts, read 1,970,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliezj View Post
I have r
WOW = you are kidding me!

Really - there is hundreds of people every day moving into the Williamsport area for the Marcellus Shale Natural Gas industry and just as many people leaving.

I highly doubt if you are going to find any diversity anywhere in central Pennsylvania - unless you move to State College proper and send your child to school there.

As you bring in a new wave of out of state workers - that has grown exponentially over the last 24 months, the people moving into the area brings the crime with them, until they force the level of crime to escalate to the point of where it was at the place where they came from.
Things such as fights and stabbings and shootings and drugs and crime has been on the rise ever since the Natural Gas people have moved into there.

There was 5 stabbings in State College last weekend, just in one weekend - over homecoming weekend.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
You might not have the diversity you want, but I don't think the schools look too bad on paper. SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sr/txt=Williamsport/ust=PA/p=1/fp=1 - broken link) Lycoming College is right in Williamsport Lycoming College as is Penn Tech Pennsylvania College of Technology both are very good colleges.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 PM

You are right Toobusytoday,
One of my Uncles graduated from Penn Tech in the early 60's and became the head of all the salespeople for Eaton Controls 30 years later and retired a millionaire. Without the formal training that Penn Tech gave to him 50 years ago - with the GI Bill - there is no telling what he would be doing today or where he would have lived or how well he would have done in life.

I love Williamsport, I just don't like what the drillers are doing to the place.

Most people don't realize this - but in 40 years, it is probably going to be the next Love Canal. All the people in the USA will be talking about all the people who got sick after drinking the frac water and how the kids ended up stunted or mentally challenged and deformed from all the chemicals in the water.

It's just a darn shame!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,525 times
Yes, there are other places to live: you have Lock Haven , Montoursville, and some areas in williamsport are still alright to bring up a family. Over in the east side of williamsport, or further to the west end of town also.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingella View Post
Yes, there are other places to live: you have Lock Haven , Montoursville, and some areas in williamsport are still alright to bring up a family. Over in the east side of williamsport, or further to the west end of town also.
But they are not diverse and they do not offer oriental or foreign populations of any significance. That is what this person is looking for.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 17,933 times
Thanks for the input.
I am concerned about diversity but really diversity is not the most important thing for me. On the very top of my list is a nice community where my kid can grow up happily.
Lock Haven might be a good choice since it's at the mid point between state college and Williamsport.
I will look into that.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:15 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I really wouldn't rule out Williamsport before you see it, and I'm guessing you won't. I don't really think that Lock Haven is better then Williamsport, it's just a smaller town.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania