Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 PM

22 posts, read 48,722 times

Advertisements

I have been researching this forum for a couple of weeks now and havent found and recent forums. So I am hoping someone can help me.

My husband got a job in Montoursville and we have to move there before school starts back. We are currently living in Latrobe and he was commuting but cant do it anymore. He needs to be within an hours drive to the shop.

We are looking for a town with a low crime and drug rate. We have two kids in school a sophmore and an eight grader. We would like to find a school that has some good test scores. And my sophmore is a softball and a volleyball player so we need a school that has both. And my eight grader is in band so a marching band would be good.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,709,184 times
I grew up in Montoursville and I have family still there. It's a wonderful place to grow up. There is softball, but I'm not sure about volleyball, at least not on a scholastic level, maybe as an intramural activity. The high school band is top notch and the sports program across the board is also. There is a middle school band for your eighth grader but I don't think they do any marching, just concerts. The students test consistently above average and do really well in PSSAs and other required testing.

Good luck with your move. I really don't think you can go wrong with Montoursville.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm seriously thinking about moving into that town. The schools sounds awesome. What about things to do around there? What do people do around there for fun? Thanks again.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 AM

There's a bike path that runs from Wal-Mart along the beltway and up into Williamsport. I'm not sure how far it goes but you can ride along the river on the **** for quite a distance. (EDIT: Hey, moderator, D-I-K-E is not a bad word. It's a raised levee along a river. The bad word you want to substitute asterisks for is D-Y-K-E.)

Indian Park in Montoursville has recreational fields, playgrounds, a picnic area, a fishing pond and a swimming pool. You can access it just down Loyalsock Avenue from Wal-Mart and Lowe's or from the bike path.

Driving "out the 'sock" (Loyalsock Creek) is a fun adventure. If you get directions (I know how to get there but can't really tell you without riding along) you can go to Rose Valley Lake to fish or boat or just enjoy the outdoors.

There are some state parks nearby - toward Jersey Shore or in Sullivan County. You can shop at the mall or in downtown Williamsport. Williamsport has the Community Arts Center with all kinds of wonderful things going on year round. I just saw an ad recently for season tickets and some of the things listed are awesome. There are mulitple movie theaters at the mall or in Williamsport. There are tons of wonderful restaurants to try.

James V. Brown Library is a large library in Williamsport. Konkle Memorial Library is in downtown Montoursville. It's small but very nice. They can get books for you from James V. Brown if they don't have what you want.

If you're a church-going person, most denominations are available right in Montoursville, or nearby.

Montoursville is a wonderful town to ride your bike around in, or walk around. You can go to the high school or middle school to play tennis. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of for now.

Last edited by Dawne; 07-10-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Moderator (or someone) added asterisks to perfectly fine word.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 AM

Thank you all for replying. We had decided to move to Hughesville,PA. It might be a small country town but it feels safe. Its a town where the kids walk around town in groups and the whole town shows up on Friday night for the local football game. One of the downsides of the town is if you want to get something quick from a drive thru you only have one choice,McDonalds. There is some other mom and pop resturants but McDonalds is the only drive thru. But all in all it is a small quite town.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Yes, Hughesville is a very nice town. Things will liven up a bit during the fair (in July, I believe) and sometimes there are other things going on at the fairgrounds. Are your kids enjoying school there? Best wishes for your future.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
lived in montoursville 10 years ago before moving to tn. .wish i had never moved and am hoping to try it again. any info from present would be appreciated. lived right in downtown montoursville. this time moving by myself so i am looking for reasonable place to rent that will alow one small dog.thanks [email]sandav42@yahoo.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania