Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 15,127 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to the Reading area from Long Island. I can find information on schools and neighborhoods and events in the Wyomissing area where we are considering. Where are the malls? Where are the hospitals? I found a Starbucks so that's a good sign! Any other input would be greatly appreciated about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_from_Long_Island View Post
We are looking at moving to the Reading area from Long Island. I can find information on schools and neighborhoods and events in the Wyomissing area where we are considering. Where are the malls? Where are the hospitals? I found a Starbucks so that's a good sign! Any other input would be greatly appreciated about the area.
Here's a decent website that should answer all of your Reading area questions:

Berks County and Reading, Pennsylvania Economic Development // Berks Economic Partnership (BEP)

Overall, it's an area that's VERY different from Long Island. You definitely won't find as much of the upscale lifestyle, but you also won't find over-crowding. Unfortunately, Reading is pretty blighted, and the city has MANY strides to make toward making a comeback from industrial decline, but there's lots of neat history and attractions within couple hours' drive (theme parks, national parks, Amish Country, etc.). Wyomissing, however, is a suburban community right outside of Reading which is probably the closest thing to L.I. you will find in Berks County -- plenty of affluent families located in a much more desirable area. Please ask any more questions that you may have.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 PM

15 posts, read 50,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Here's a decent website that should answer all of your Reading area questions:

Berks County and Reading, Pennsylvania Economic Development // Berks Economic Partnership (BEP)

Overall, it's an area that's VERY different from Long Island. You definitely won't find as much of the upscale lifestyle, but you also won't find over-crowding. Unfortunately, Reading is pretty blighted, and the city has MANY strides to make toward making a comeback from industrial decline, but there's lots of neat history and attractions within couple hours' drive (theme parks, national parks, Amish Country, etc.). Wyomissing, however, is a suburban community right outside of Reading which is probably the closest thing to L.I. you will find in Berks County -- plenty of affluent families located in a much more desirable area. Please ask any more questions that you may have.
That post is absolutely dead-on!!!
I'm from Queens, right by the Nassau border, so I'm familiar with Long Island.
I also have some investment property in Reading. You definitely will not find too many upscale establishments in the city of Reading. However, you might want to look at West Reading (just over the river), which had definitely been getting a lot nicer as of late. You get nicer businesses over there, such as bookshops and sidewalk cafes, which encourage people to stroll around on the main streets. Wyomissing is even nicer, and is a good place to go for shopping. There's a large mall on Broadcasting Rd. by Rt. 222.
Best of luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:48 PM

111 posts, read 516,086 times
The Berkshire Mall is in Wyomissing, the Fairgrounds Mall is on Business Rt 222(aka 5th St. Hwy) in North Reading (Muhlenberg Township). There's plenty of (non-mall) shopping centers in the area as well. The Reading Hospital is on 7th St near the VF Outlet Center, and the new St Joseph's Hospital has info here: St. Joseph Medical Center, The Future of Healthcare.

The Wilson school district seems to be one of the more "prestigious" of the area, however, my children are in the Oley Valley district and we don't really have any major complaints. I would if my children wanted to play scholastic football, as there is no program.

There are also malls and hospitals in Pottstown and Allentown, which are not prohibitively far, should a change of scenery be desired.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:09 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Less than an hours drive east is King Of Prussia, a mall which should satisfy even the most discriminating NYC shopper. And Wyomissing/Spring Township is getting a new shopping center which will have some upper tier clothing and gift stores, making for a total of 1 mall (enclosed) and maybe 6 or more shopping centers in a mile or so area, not counting the Vanity Fair outlet mall. Lancaster has Park City( an hour drive) which is a very big and nice mall and a big shopping district is close by along routes 30 and 222.
Two years ago Wyomissing was ranked the third highest rated public school in Pa, the first two were in Montgomery County but none were quite in the top 100 best in the Country. This was in Newsweek. Berks is known for having very good to excellent public schools, but not Reading. Reading was in the bottom third state wide, not bad compared to many Pittsburgh and Philadelphia schools, but not good. But even Reading has an outstanding and renowned band music program.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 25,628 times
Default Wyomissing overpriced

I was born and raised in the Reading area, and have lived in Easton, PA, Orlando, Tampa, Okeechobee, FL and NJ.

My suggestion is to avoid Wyomissing. It has a certain local cache as The Wealthy Suburb, but because of this prices are inflated well above the actual value of the homes.

Adjacent areas, like West Reading, Shillington, West Lawn, Sinking Spring, Kenhorst and Wernersville (more or less in that order) have similar housing stock, decent schools and somewhat more reasonable prices.

For easy access to both Reading Hospital and the largest local mall, I would suggest West Reading. It has a pleasant, small town feel, a very nice main street (Penn Avenue) and easy access to highways. Local kids attend the Wyomissing school district. Very nearby (technically in the neighboring City of Reading) is a museum, a planetarium and a very pretty park.

PS: Don't let local lore about the evils of the City of Reading scare you. There are some really bad areas, true, but there are also some very nice parts of the city. If you are in town visiting, check out Hampden Heights, Northmont, College Heights, Angelica, SE Reading above Mineral Spring Road and Bernville Road past the Berkshire CC. Once you cross the city limits, coming from almost any direction, the prices on homes plummet, but the suburban atmosphere (and lower crime rates) usually continue for blocks and blocks into the city.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_from_Long_Island View Post
I just moved to PA from Long Island, not too far from Wyomissing a year ago. There are plenty of malls and shopping in that area. St, Josephs and Reading hospital are very close by. And yes there is a starbucks. Also an Old Country Buffet, Outback, Texas steakhouse, Smokey bones, Pizzareia Uno, a gym, a comedy club in a hotel, and tons of stuff around there. And it is all much cheaper. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,506 times
I didn't want to start another thread but does anyone have any more info on the Kenhorst, specifically the area north of Alvernia College? Is it fair to say that the neighborhoods stay decent as long as you are west of the river and Rt. 422? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Kenhorst doesn't rate much attention. It's like a lower working class Shillington or West Reading, not bad but not particularly great either. There are some nice homes mixed in with average homes. I don't think crime is a major problem, at least. You do have a nice new wetlands park at Angelica anyway.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 15,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie View Post
I just moved to PA from Long Island, not too far from Wyomissing a year ago. There are plenty of malls and shopping in that area. St, Josephs and Reading hospital are very close by. And yes there is a starbucks. Also an Old Country Buffet, Outback, Texas steakhouse, Smokey bones, Pizzareia Uno, a gym, a comedy club in a hotel, and tons of stuff around there. And it is all much cheaper. Best of luck to you!
How do you like PA now after a year? Are you happy with your decision to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania