Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

There's a good reason that people are warned to not get puppies for small children.

Small children hurt puppies. You have to supervise your daughter at all times when she's with the puppy---and your older dogs if she's abusing them too..

You need to teach her to be GENTLE and NICE to your pets! Children don't learn this on their own. It's not instinct. Parents need to teach children to be gendle and kind.

I believe you might get some excellent guidance on how to teach your daughter to treat dogs if you post a thread in the Dog forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Here is a thought how about popping her on her bottom until it is cherry red for treating the animal that way and tell her that if she cannot treat the animal nice , all the animals will go and if she keeps this behavior up you will spank her every time she does this . Yes she is only 3.5 yrs old but she will get the picture once her bottom starts hurting .

Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Here is a thought how about popping her on her bottom until it is cherry red for treating the animal that way and tell her that if she cannot treat the animal nice , all the animals will go and if she keeps this behavior up you will spank her every time she does this . Yes she is only 3.5 yrs old but she will get the picture once her bottom starts hurting .
Maybe her spanking the dogs is learned behavior from being spanked by her parents. Don't know. It's a possibility. If so, than spanking her won't teach her anything.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM

457 posts, read 757,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
We got our daughter she is 3.5 a puppy the other day and I just sat here and watched her pick it up by its neck and carry it around like that, then she sits down and starts flinging it back and forth by its leg! What can I do? I am afraid she is going to kill the poor thing. She does not do this to the older animals in the home even though she "spanks" them when they don't leave her alone. I don't want my daughter growing up thinking its ok to abuse animals.
When she misstreats the puppy simply take it away, don't scold her, she may grow to resent the puppy for it. She'll learn fast that type of behavoir will only drive the puppy away. But, reward her for being nice with an approving tone.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
And when one of these dogs bite her for spanking them or flinging them around by the neck, you'll have them put down probably? Perfect.
Biting or nipping no way. Depends on the situation. If the dog was an out of control mauler then yeah bingo right to the back of the head. My family has dogs and all three daughters were taught to repect each animal. Each animal also had training. I had one dog nip my youngest because she was trying to ride him like a horse. Each of them got a rap. The youngest on the bottom and the dog on the nose. They are inseperable friends three years later. Thats the problem with most dog issues. They have got to know who the lead dogs are and where their place is in the pack. Its mostly about security and structure. Just like with kids.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
We got our daughter she is 3.5 a puppy the other day and I just sat here and watched her pick it up by its neck and carry it around like that, then she sits down and starts flinging it back and forth by its leg! What can I do? I am afraid she is going to kill the poor thing. She does not do this to the older animals in the home even though she "spanks" them when they don't leave her alone. I don't want my daughter growing up thinking its ok to abuse animals.
I do not like what I am reading. The puppy is innocent and does not deserve to be treated that way.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,689 times
Be watchful a lost of Mass Murderers started out being cruel to Animals.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
She's not ready for a puppy or a dog, it's a bad combination and is just matter of time before it gets hurt or breaks its leg and she gets nipped, you cant watch them 24/7. At the instant she'd pick it up by the neck or fling it, that would be it, she needs to know her limits and that animals have feelings too (explain it to her on her level). Would go one step further and take the poor puppy to a shelter where they can find a responsible loving home for it before the poor thing gets hurt or killed.

She also needs to know that it's not OK to spank/smack the other animals in the house either. Why is she getting away w/ it and does she get corrected or get any timeouts?

Quote:

Old 04-22-2010, 05:04 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Oh Honey, with all due respect, get a backbone. If you can't manage a 3.5 yo now, what are you going to do when she turns 5. Poor dog...

Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
I haven't read the other responses, so.. at the risk of being flamed for not doing so, I'm going to post my response anyway.

First thing you did wrong was get a 3.5 year old a puppy, or any kind of pet that you allow her to handle. Why are YOU allowing her to carry the puppy by the neck? Why are YOU allowing her to fling it? Why are YOU allowing her to slowly beat the poor thing to death?

In other words, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING??? Did you really have to post this question from the point of your daughter's behavior, a 3 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Your daughter's not the problem, yet. YOU ARE. Get that puppy and re-home it, and all the other animals you have until YOU learn that it's a dumb idea to let a small child handle any animal when you don't have the sense to supervise it.

What are you going to do if that puppy turns around and bites your kid? Put the puppy down? I just bet you would, and all because YOU are SENSELESS in giving a small child a poor defenseless puppy.

RE-HOME THE PUPPY, and don't get another animal until YOU LEARN how to manage your kid.

OMG, I can't believe you actually felt you had to post this question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting