Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
No, really?!?!?!? jeez that was obviously already said several times. The monitor will help when the baby is NOT at the doctor and is sleeping.
I should stay off these type of threads. It drives me insane (not that it's a very long drive, mind you) for people to dispense all sorts of medical/health advice w/o advising the poster to see a health care provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I should stay off these type of threads. It drives me insane (not that it's a very long drive, mind you) for people to dispense all sorts of medical/health advice w/o advising the poster to see a health care provider.
No you shouldn't stay off these types of threads. It's always a good reminder that someone should see a doctor but it's no different than discussing things with neighbors or family members or co-workers. Some will suggest this, some will suggest that, and others will say it's best to get a doctor or doctors involved. The latter is very important to keep reminding.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM

241 posts, read 544,122 times
The book "Baby Meets World" by Nicholas Day has some interesting insight into the idea of milestones (and how they are overinterpreted). I recommend it to the OP.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,500,105 times
I would also have concerns OP. That doesn't mean there is something seriously wrong, but having only rolled over maybe 5 times in his life should be looked at better. My youngest son was not crawling when he should. We waited awhile and then the doctor ordered physical therapy for him and that really helped. It was done through Health and Welfare and didn't cost us anything.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:27 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times
I would just keep an eye on him and keep your concerns at the back of your mind. You need to be the advocate for your child. See what the doctor says, but I think she is fine!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 PM

687 posts, read 1,495,816 times
My granddaughter was 1 in August. At that time she would "army crawl" on her elbows. She could crawl on her knees, but seemed not to like it. She was bright, alert, interacted with everybody, and would "dance" while sitting on her butt. When she finally stood at about 14 months, she danced in place, but still didn't walk. By 15 months, she was dancing, walking, running, climbing - there's no stopping her now. My daughter was very worried, but I figured she would get moving when she felt like it - and she did!

My grandson, her brother, is 13 months older. He was walking and running by 14 months, but didn't really start talking until just after he turned 2. Again, mom was worried, but he would listen, and follow directions, so we knew he was hearing and understanding. He's now 29 months. He speaks in short sentences, can identify and say all the upper case letters, and is getting the hang of lower case, he can count up to 10 items, and can recite numbers through 22 (he usually loses interest by then).

If your pediatrician isn't concerned, I would still keep an eye on development, but it probably is fine. Some babies just seem to not want to waste their time with "baby steps." Once they can do what they want, they do it!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 PM

502 posts, read 897,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
My SILs #2 is 16 months & just started crawling & picking up some foods. Last month she stood on her own for the first time. Her FIL is her ped & has never been concerned.

I think the real concerns start to arise starting at 24mn +; especially the 3yr old time period.

Raising children is an adventure,that is for sure.
This is horrifying. Not that the child is delayed, but that the pediatrician doesn't have sense enough to notice. It is NOT normal for a 16 month old to not be crawling and just standing up. Your niece needs to be evaluated asap.

As for the OP - I would also be worried and insist on an evaluation from your state's Early Intervention Program. The evaluation should be free and it's possible the services could be as well depending on your income.

My girls were born at 26.1 weeks so meeting milestones was big for us and we were intimately involved with our local EI program. The bottom line is - getting Physical, Occupational, Developmental, Speech, or Feeding therapy for your child doesn't hurt them and very well may be the difference in having and not having problems later on. There's no reason to wait to see just how far behind a child can get to do something about it. The idea of waiting until 2 or 3...is appalling. (Except in speech - real language does develop during that time frame but if you have a 6 month old not babbling - you should call someone).

OP - even if your child doesn't qualify for services, they can show you some exercises you can do with him and ways to play with him to help encourage him. It also puts you in their system so if you have concerns later on, you can call them and they will re-evaluate.

Also, remember that private insurance has a far lower standard for needing and paying for therapies than the free EI programs. So, even if your child doesn't meet the EI standards, they may recommend you get a private eval and see if your insurance will cover it.

Lots of parents have the "he walked/talked/whatever when he was ready" stories even if it was months and months late. And, unless there are serious issues, many kids will eventually. But why? Why make them struggle and have you worry about it when therapy is so easy and does them absolutely no harm?

Also, as a practical everyday suggestion, if your child is in a bouncy chair, swing, ExerSaucer or basically anywhere EXCEPT on the floor - take him out and put him on the floor with lots of interesting toys in different directions, some just out of reach, and encourage him to go after them. The floor is the best place for developing babies and the only way they will be able to practice their developing skills.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM

^^I agree with the state early intervention program. In fact, I was going to suggest it and then I got frustrated with this thread and gave up for a while.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,931,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My daughter will be having her first birthday this week, and I have been slightly worried about her milestones too. I am not *really* worried, just thinking about it a little bit I guess. She can crawl up on all fours, but she really doesn't - she prefers to pull herself along in a commando crawl. She gets around well this way, so I guess she doesn't see any need to crawl the regular way. She also can pull herself up to a stand next to a table or the couch, but she doesn't do it very often, and she doesn't cruise along. She is not at all close to walking. She also hasn't said any words yet, or any signs (we do ASL with our kids). She can only say the sounds LaLa, BaBa, MaMa, DaDa, and she can click her tongue, but she doesn't do them with meaning, just to make noise. Which wouldn't concern me so much yet, except that she also doesn't do any gestures at all - she doesn't point, or wave, or reach up when she wants to be picked up, etc. I will be asking the doctor about it at her appointment next week, but I expect that she will say that it's nothing to worry about at this point and we'll see if she's doing it yet in 6 months.
Wow, it's interesting to come upon this old thread and see what I wrote here. As a followup, my daughter's doctor did *not* say all is fine and don't worry - she said let's get her evaluated and into early intervention. She started in early intervention at 13 months old, with PT, speech, and cognitive therapy. She took her first steps at 18 months, and also said her first words around the same time. When she turned 3, she qualified for an IEP, getting the same services from the school system. Now she is 4.5 years old and we are getting ready for the transition to kindergarten in a few months. She is still behind in the same areas, and while she is progressing as she gets older, she is not really "catching up" either. My daughter sees a developmental pediatrician and has been evaluated for all sorts of underlying medical conditions, and so far she has tested negative for everything. She just has an unexplained global developmental delay. She is not *so* delayed that it is obvious to people that she has a disability, usually people just think she is younger than she is.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM

^^Great feedback. I'm glad your daughter is getting the help she needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting