Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 PM

895 posts, read 4,251,573 times

Advertisements

Any advice on how to locate a good pediatrician when we move? With our last move, school started the following week and I just used all my bravado and approached moms and asked them for doctor's names and it worked great. This time, we're moving over the summer and I won't have much opportunity to meet people and I have a baby who needs a well-visit. So anyway, I've googled pediatricians in my new area and not much came up. Any other advice on how to find?? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,792,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Any advice on how to locate a good pediatrician when we move? With our last move, school started the following week and I just used all my bravado and approached moms and asked them for doctor's names and it worked great. This time, we're moving over the summer and I won't have much opportunity to meet people and I have a baby who needs a well-visit. So anyway, I've googled pediatricians in my new area and not much came up. Any other advice on how to find?? Thx

What about posting on that particular city's forum and asking around there? It would be almost like asking the mom's at school.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,517,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
What city are yor talking about??? If its any of the cities on my profile, I can help you out!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 PM

284 posts, read 1,682,352 times
Have you asked your current doctor? Many doctors keep up with friends and associates across the country, and leaders in the field are often known by name and reputation, if not personally. Maybe your doctor has some connections?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,135,279 times
I'd suggest making a few calls to the local hospital, the chamber of commerce, and other institutions that might be able to make a good, first referral. If you don't like the physician, you can ask for referrals from neighbours after you've been in a community--even after a week.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:13 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,843,961 times
I think local forums and also the state sections on this forum are your best bet.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice. We're actually moving cross country (to OC, CA) so my pediatrician can't help me out. As for posting on the local forum, I did do that about a month ago and did not get one single response. I've decided that the only people that post on that particular forum are complainers. Actually Dr. Sears has a practice 1/2 hour from my house but he's the only doc that I could find anywhere. I will try to contact a local hospital once we're there--don't have any info on that either. I've never been to the town we're moving to and asking my husband is like asking a brick wall!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM

311 posts, read 1,377,559 times
When you get the names of some doctors, plan on interviewing them first before committing to their practice. I did this before my daughter was born. It does not have to be long but taking 10-15 minutes to ask the doctor some questions about their practice and making sure you are comfortable with their services is important. You want to ensure to your satisfaction that they are competent and trustworthy physicians.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times
Are you paying cash for healthcare, or will you be on a benefits plan? Your choices will be dictated by that criterion first. Some policies only cover certain doctors or physicians groups. You also have to determine if the pediatrician you select is even taking new patients. Depending on the policy you have, you could potentially change your children's doctors from one month to the next (we have such a plan where I work).

Lots of variables. PM me if you don't want to put more personal info in the thread - I work in the insurance industry and also went through a lot of personal experience with pediatricians in Southern California. I can share with you what worked for me.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Are you paying cash for healthcare, or will you be on a benefits plan? Your choices will be dictated by that criterion first. Some policies only cover certain doctors or physicians groups. You also have to determine if the pediatrician you select is even taking new patients. Depending on the policy you have, you could potentially change your children's doctors from one month to the next (we have such a plan where I work).

Lots of variables. PM me if you don't want to put more personal info in the thread - I work in the insurance industry and also went through a lot of personal experience with pediatricians in Southern California. I can share with you what worked for me.
I'm sorry but I thought I replied to this yesterday. I guess it's me going crazy trying to move. We are enrolled in a healthplan and my husband is supposed to bring all the paperwork home this weekend. We get a choice of a PPO, POS, HMO or some kind of plan we create ourselves. I'm very familiar with the PPO, POS and HMO as we've had those plans before. There are three or four companies to choose from - Pacificare (?) and Blue Cross being two that I can remember. Is the issue you're talking about with the changing of doctors month to month a pediatrician issue or an insurance issue? My husband was adamant that one of the largest employers in SCA wouldn't pick cruddy insurance. I know all about doctors not accepting new patients as we just moved nine months ago and I couldn't get my kids into the pediatrician until five months ago when I had a baby and they took my new baby and my older kids along with her. I don't have the excuse of a brand new infant any more but my baby will need her 6mos shots and my 2 yr old needs her shots immediately (well, within two weeks). As soon as we pick a plan, I'm going to start asking around (probably on this forum or others) about specific names close to our area and make my husband ask the guys at work to ask their wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting