Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM

705 posts, read 1,763,413 times

Advertisements

San Antonio area. Kinder and 4th grade.

Both kids get to choose which days to buy, 2x/week. The rest of the days they bring lunch from home. 4th grader is on a soup kick, likes his new thermos; he also does mac & cheese in the thermos. Otherwise it is sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,954,260 times
Live in Michigan, on the West side with 4 kids. 6th grade, 4th grade, and 2 in 1st grade. They all buy their lunch at school, and the school here does a GREAT job. Sometimes I want to stop by at lunch and have what they are getting (which is an option here if you call ahead and let them know you are coming). The school has a very good menu and there is always at least 3 choices for the main course plus a full salad/fruit bar at all the schools from pre-school to 12th grade. Cost is $2.25 a day and frankly I can't pack the same quality of lunch for that amount, as the kids get from the school lunch.

This month the kitchen is having an "Around the World menu" and featuring lunches from different Countries. This school cooks for several different school districts in the area as well as for Meals-on-Wheels, the County Jail, Senior Centers, etc... so the kids have a huge variety usually, and it keeps the costs of the meals down for the quality they serve. Once a month they have a "Pizza Party" and call in pizzas for the entire school from either Pizza Hut, or Hungry Howies.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,706,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
In the land down under, we get the idea that americans eat out all the time and that there is a McDonalds and Burger King across the road from every school and that in American high schools at least, the kids either eat a lunch purchased at the school cafeteria or they go over the road and buy it at the fast food shop.
Eastern U.S., junior in high school.

Our local high school is out in the country. It's a consolidation of a number of communities. No McD's or BK anywhere near. A convenience store a half mile away that some upper-classmen walk to during lunch, but for the most part, kids carry or buy at school.

My daughter buys a la carte at school and goes part time, so she eats at home on the days she doesn't go to school.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,078,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
In the land down under, we get the idea that americans eat out all the time and that there is a McDonalds and Burger King across the road from every school and that in American high schools at least, the kids either eat a lunch purchased at the school cafeteria or they go over the road and buy it at the fast food shop.
That's not entirely untrue.

High schoolers in our area have open lunch, meaning they are free to leave school grounds, and two study periods in which they can do the same. Many end up at the Starbucks on the corner. Lest you think they're a bunch of slackers from the description, the high school ranks in the top five of my entire state. It must be all that caffeine!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
That's funny...I always notice the movies have these cool American high schools with outdoor lockers and outdoor cafeteria seating...and I never saw such a thing anywhere I ever lived!

My son, first grade, packs his lunch most days since he is very picky, and I don't like paying $2.00 for what I consider foods with poor nutritional value. He does buy on pizza days, which averages about 3 days per month. His favorites to pack are Nutella on bread (he doesn't like peanut butter), bananas, cantaloupe, pretzels, granola bars, pudding cups, fruit bars, yogurt.

The movies are probably filmed in California, where lockers (if they have them) and eating is outside.

I used to take lunch to school. School lunches were nasty and expensive. My niece doesn't have lunch at school as she is in half day Kindergarten.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM

37,181 posts, read 42,370,615 times
My kids are grown now but when they were in elementary school I would pack their lunch and they would buy only once a week or so...pizza day usually.

Middle school I fixed their lunch occasionally but they usually just grabbed something from the pantry themselves and bought 2-3x a week.

High school, my son bought every day while my daughter would take a can of slimfast or redbull and graze off her friends. It was a closed campus so they couldn't go anywhere. Sometimes she would send me a text asking me to bring a sandwich to school for her at lunch if she got really hungary...hahaha.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,785,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The movies are probably filmed in California, where lockers (if they have them) and eating is outside.
I figured as much...just seemed very strange to those of us in the midwest!

I also forgot to mention that my high school did not have an open lunch policy. All students were required to eat in the cafeteria. The only way you could leave the school was to get something from your car (if you drove, of course) and they had a special car pass you had to sign out so they could keep track of you.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM

4,392 posts, read 4,261,971 times
Please add how long your kids get for lunch.

At our schools, they generally get between 22 and 30 minutes. Closed campuses, but even if they weren't there is no time to leave, eat, and get back in time.

Also, the schools have pretty much eliminated any recess or break time after lunch. The kids go six to six and a half hours with only that minimal time out of class. Also, the teachers sit with their students and monitor them at lunch. No duty-free time for them either.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,242,705 times
At our primary / elementary school, school starts 9.00 They have first break 11:00 to 11:30 and second break 1:00 to 1:45pm. School finishes at 3pm. At each break they have to sit and eat for the first 15 minutes.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,401,901 times
[quote=firefightermom;13159731]That's funny...I always notice the movies have these cool American high schools with outdoor lockers and outdoor cafeteria seating...and I never saw such a thing anywhere I ever lived!
QUOTE]

My kids high school has outdoor lockers and a few picnic tables outside for lunch. The school is like a big box without a lid in the center (large open courtyard with grass and trees). The lockers are all outside, and there is a roof overhang to (kind of) protect the lockers from rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting