Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,912,894 times

Advertisements

I tried to be forthright without being prurient and look what happens? Hysterics.... (sigh)...

Well now you know men's terrible secret: Standing up to pee ain't all it's cracked-up to be.

Yes, the garden hose thing does suck immensely. Nothing worse than waking in the morning, half asleep, propping yourself up against the wall with one arm hoping to get some relief only to have a simple pee turn into a waltzing waters display. It gets old fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 PM

PS - I'm serious about the urinal. If you live someplace where the water is expensive or rationed, a home urinal can save you more water than any other conservation method! That's a LOT of water. One of my best friends grew-up as one of 8 boys and they installed one in the upstairs bathroom. The guys (including their father) liked having their own toilet so much they only ever used that one to urinate AND it allowed more than one boy to use the bathroom at the same time making for fewer traffic jams. It worked beautifully and the women (mom + 5 girls) never had to worry about seats left up or stray spots. I think the savings become substantial for the average American home when you have 3 or more males who use the urinal consistently.

It's an extreme example (13 kids), but once they segregated the bathrooms (2+ downstairs lavatory off limits to the kids unless an emergency) it made all the difference in the world.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,152,551 times
I would make all 4 men take turns cleaning the toilet, so each cleans the toilet every 4 days.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 PM

550 posts, read 2,831,183 times
I hope I didn't hurt your feelings Jason, I was sincere about the thank you for all the info!

Christina - that is a great idea! I will add it to the boys chores lists and see what happens.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 PM

797 posts, read 2,998,850 times
My boys miss all the time and I have given them some grace since they are not circumsized. My solution, put a container of clorox wipes on the floor next to the toilet and have them wipe up after they go. Otherwise I would say have them "sit like a girl" until they make the effort to "do it like daddy" and clean up after themselves. Really I think the "shake off" is just has messy as "split streams" but the smell and mess is gross either way.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 PM

Thats a great idea too. Maybe I will give them a choice of the two.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:50 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,226,789 times
I am so glad to know that my 3 boys(that includes my husband) aren't the only ones. I got so fed up last week that I made my husband clean their bathroom. I don't even go in there anymore. I think my boys think its some sort of male challenge to pee through the seat.... I am glad I am not alone.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
I hope I didn't hurt your feelings Jason, I was sincere about the thank you for all the info!

Christina - that is a great idea! I will add it to the boys chores lists and see what happens.
Nope, no hurt feelings.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 4,007,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
Yeah, yeah, that has turned out to be a joke! I have 3 boys and am starting to get annoyed at their non-ability to get their pee into the toilet every time. Sometimes I will go in the washroom and there will be pee on the floor beside the toilet and almost always on the base of the toilet. Is it really impossible for little boys (9&6) to hit the toilet every time?
Im pretty sure my 14 year old doesn't add to the mess but then again, do my husband and teen contribute to the smell and mess?
Please help me! I am living with 4 boys and no girls! I need to figure out how to fix this sticky, smelly situation!!
Oh yes and boys.....always lift up the seat. There is nothing grosser than forgetting to look for a pee free seat.......
LOL - here's the deal from a guy's perspective: Sometimes(many times in fact) urine comes out in multiple streams and/or not where you aim (the worst thing is that when you're tall it is even more challenging). Additionally when you shake it off or finish going droplets inevitably land where you don't want. It is just a fact of male-life.

What can you do about it?... well I've shown my son at home to only go when the seat is up and also quickly wipe with a small piece of toilet paper any dribbles on the toilet rim right before flushing. Touching the toilet rim isn't something anyone looks forward to but at home with an otherwise clean toilet and next to a clean sink to wash your hands I don't think it's a big deal.

As long as you as a parent are consistent (dad in role-modeling the right behavior and mom in enforcing compliance by the boys immediately when noticed) I think you'll see behavioral change pretty quickly. Public toilets are a bit different... men's rooms are usually filthy and I wouldn't want my son wiping the rim as such, but if you make the distinction in what to do in each place you may encourage better behavior in personal residences.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:57 PM

So......why can't you dab it with toilet paper rather than shaking it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting