Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times

Advertisements

Ok. So my wife and I were recently asked by a friend and an acquaintance if we would be willing to watch their children at the end of August. It was presented as a way to "make a little extra money" since neither of us are working at that time. Each has two elementary aged boys. It would be from 8-4 for 6 days. We have one son. We said it might be doable, but really don't know how much to expect, or to ask for. We don't want to be too high and seem ridiculous, but don't want to lowball ourselves as we would be giving them lunch, taking them to the pool, and coming up with some other things to keep them from getting bored. It doesn't need to be top dollar, and I realize it will vary by region, but how much might you be willing to pay? Just trying to get a range. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
$30/day per kid is the going rate around here. But if you go somewhere and need cash to get in, the kids would need extra money for that. It doesn't come out of the $30. You might also get them to bring a lunch.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:58 AM

53 posts, read 125,984 times
I'm in California - I have paid $10 to $15 per hour for childcare. My babysitter only charges 10 but my son's preschool and the school care program were both 15. So for a whole day around $80, plus food and activity costs.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
OP, where you live matters the most. Childcare rates vary from city to city. These prices quoted are very high for my area of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
$30/day per kid is the going rate around here. But if you go somewhere and need cash to get in, the kids would need extra money for that. It doesn't come out of the $30. You might also get them to bring a lunch.
I think $1,200 is a little steep to ask of one family.

Don't the daycare centers offer discounts for multiple kids---like private schools do on tuition for multiple kids from the same family---where you live?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,360,634 times
You could call around local babysitting/childcare services, get an estimate from them and adjust it accordingly.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadley831 View Post
I'm in California - I have paid $10 to $15 per hour for childcare. My babysitter only charges 10 but my son's preschool and the school care program were both 15. So for a whole day around $80, plus food and activity costs.
This is about what we were thinking. Around $60-70 a day per child seems fair. This is only for a short term fill-in after the camps are closed and before camp starts. I know we paid $150 a week for my son to go to a home daycare 8 or 9 years ago, and that was a deal compared to others.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OP, where you live matters the most. Childcare rates vary from city to city. These prices quoted are very high for my area of the country.

I think $1,200 is a little steep to ask of one family.
True. About 8 or 9 years ago we paid $600/month for my son here in the DC metro area.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
This is about what we were thinking. Around $60-70 a day per child seems fair. This is only for a short term fill-in after the camps are closed and before camp starts. I know we paid $150 a week for my son to go to a home daycare 8 or 9 years ago, and that was a deal compared to others.

Thanks
I think you should compare your charges with the cost of camp in your area, since the activities you expect to provide them are almost like camp (swimming, parks, etc.) Let them provide their lunches...less hassle and liability on your part as well. Many years ago, we paid about $400 every two weeks per child to go to camp.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,760 times
Fulltime summer daycamp for my boys was $135/week for first child and a 10% discount off additional kids, so a total of about $250 for the week. I wouldn't charge extra if you make lunch and meals/snacks at home, but if there will be outings and that includes lunch at McD's etc, then yes get the spending money from the parents for this as well.

Since you are not a certified home daycare, and this is your child's friend I wouldn't try to go above this amount. Yes there are many child care places that are way more expensive than this but they usually are offering some special projects or camps, etc.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:43 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
I'm in the DFW are as well, and my rate is $30/day for drop in care, but a bit lower for a full week. I am a professional child care provider and have been for almost 20 years. However, there are many areas within DFW that are much higher and many that are much lower. I'd say the range is from $15/day to $50/day in most cases here.

If they were clear on planning on paying you, then research some of the centers in your area to see what they charge for schoolers to get a better handle on what's fair. Take that figure and come down a bit so that it's meaningful for them to use you instead of one of the centers. Then simply budget carefully for food (highest expense) and trips or you'll end up losing money. I wouldn't charge for trips since it's only a temp deal and this isn't your business. However, if you go to a movie for instance, tell them you won't be buying popcorn, but if they want to bring some money to do so for themselves they can. Then bring in a bag with your own popcorn and something to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting