Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times

Advertisements

Whats the deal here?!

Boys have vastly higher rates of ADHD, OCD (in childhood. Studies say that women have higher rates of OCD as adults, but I don't believe this), Tourettes Syndrome, suicide, bipolar disorders, anxiety disorders, and the big one - Autism!

Most of these conditions affect boys up to 4-5 times as much as girls, and the rate is only increasing more and more each year!

I myself was diagnosed with a mild ADHD when I was younger (I'm male). I don't take medication now for it out of stubborness. My mom doesn't have ADHD, and neither does my father. How exactly did this happen to me?

I don't buy the genetics argument. Natural selection didn't just reverse and start selecting the mentally disabled to run the world.

I always wanted a big family someday, but I'm terrified to have one now. One of my cousins was just diagnosed with Austism. I am 1 out of 80(!!) great grand children. Not one of us had this condition until now.

Honestly, when I am ready to have kids, I'll probably go to one of those in vitro clinics where they allow you to pick the sex of the baby so I can have girls only with all these diseases and disorders taking over the male gender.

Is there any explanation as to why this is happening? The world wasn't like this two generations ago.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
The drug companies and psychiatrists were successful in adding marginal disorders to the DSM manual and creating drugs to deal with them.

It happened because SSRIs were invented, and when the only tool you have is a hammer...

Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 AM

354 posts, read 1,281,249 times
Teachers and authorities want boys to behave like girls and do not provide the right programs for them and when they do not conform they want them medicated until they are compliant. Males are being short changed by society.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
making them act like girls 24/7 does not help.
and well we pretty much disapprove all the time of what was considered 50 years ago normal behavior.
we had em fixed. which is why all our police officers and soldiers are now gomez rodriguez and lopez instead of smith, jones and johnson.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 AM

148 posts, read 584,949 times
There are lots of problems that affect women too - depression, some types of anxiety, eating disorders, borderline personality. I don't know statistics offhand, but I'm not sure that one gender really does have higher rates of mental illness than the other.

I do agree that part of it is that it is easier for schools, and some parents, to put boys on medication and diagnose them with a disorder than to deal with more active behaviors. Most boys, and a lot of girls, are just not "wired" to sit still in a classroom and be quiet for most of a day - they want to get out and play and explore, and I think we are really shortchanging our children by labeling this as a disorder or disease.

The sad thing is when this kids reach adulthood, so many have spent years of their lives on Ritalin, antidepressants, etc during the time their brains and personalities are developing, and all of that may cause lasting changes in their mental health and personal development.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 AM

705 posts, read 1,758,834 times
A side note - the statement in the OP about suicide is a bit misleading. Males have a higher suicide completion rate, but women attempt suicide more. Has to do with the chosen method; males choose more lethal means, usually.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Whats the deal here?!

Boys have vastly higher rates of ADHD, OCD (in childhood. Studies say that women have higher rates of OCD as adults, but I don't believe this), Tourettes Syndrome, suicide, bipolar disorders, anxiety disorders, and the big one - Autism!

Most of these conditions affect boys up to 4-5 times as much as girls, and the rate is only increasing more and more each year!

I myself was diagnosed with a mild ADHD when I was younger (I'm male). I don't take medication now for it out of stubborness. My mom doesn't have ADHD, and neither does my father. How exactly did this happen to me?

I don't buy the genetics argument. Natural selection didn't just reverse and start selecting the mentally disabled to run the world.

I always wanted a big family someday, but I'm terrified to have one now. One of my cousins was just diagnosed with Austism. I am 1 out of 80(!!) great grand children. Not one of us had this condition until now.

Honestly, when I am ready to have kids, I'll probably go to one of those in vitro clinics where they allow you to pick the sex of the baby so I can have girls only with all these diseases and disorders taking over the male gender.

Is there any explanation as to why this is happening? The world wasn't like this two generations ago.....

Its called Mothers.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I bet a lot of the cases of ADHD that are diagnosed are just boys being boys. I have 2 of them. They are difficult to deal with at times, but I don't think they are abnormal. they are just boys.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
I don't hold much faith in the psychiatric profession personally. I think autism is largely over-diagnosed, or just the beliefs of psychiatrists.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
why??? because girls make them so damn crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting