Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,509,502 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess that is up to the parents then....any laws wouldn't have anything to do with it. If you are still providing for him and he is living under your roof any rule infraction depends on what you are willing to allow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,237,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
This is more in line with what I was thinking about. Not so much crimes, just normal teenager stuff.
Then..........whats law got to do, got to do with it?
What's law but a .......
never mind.

It depends. I have seen parents that have kids that are turning 18 during their senior year in high school who become over controlling if they suspect that the kid will drop out. Not coming home on time becomes a runaway charge.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,138 times
I have a friend who's daughter is 17 (Texas) and already has a fellony charge on her record and she keeps leaving home and stays somewhere else. Her mom just found out from her daughter's boyfriend that she has writen letters threating another girl's life and her own life. The parents of the boy called the police and now they're looking for her (the 17 yr old). What will happen to the daughter and her mom? Will her mom get into any trouble? It's not like she can tie her down in the house and keep her from leaving. Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
The mother should notify the police that her daughter is a danger to herself and society and ask for her daughter to be involuntarily committed into a mental hospital.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,238,944 times
Parents should parent so kids do not end up in the courts. That means saying "no". It means saying "you will stay home and do your home work". It means sending your child / teen to bed without dinner because they were not at the table on time. It means setting a good example. It means being home to do stuff with your kids. It means being a taxi driver for your kids. It means taking the 3am phone call from your teen and rescuing them from the party.

I think that some teen misbehaviour is taken too seriously and kids end up in court when the police should be able to give them a talking to and the parents should give them a whack on the back side. However times have changed and now everything is seen as a major crime and ends up in court.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 882 times
Im 17 And My Parents Wont Let Me Go Anywhere With My friends On The Weekends Is It Legal For Me To Just Go Anyway If Im Not Running Away? Cause my parents will most likely call the cops.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely17 View Post
Im 17 And My Parents Wont Let Me Go Anywhere With My friends On The Weekends Is It Legal For Me To Just Go Anyway If Im Not Running Away? Cause my parents will most likely call the cops.
No it's not. The age of majority is 18 in most states, and older in 1 or 2.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,931,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely17 View Post
Unless you have a job that makes enough money to live on and a place to live, whether it's legal or not for you to go places doesn't matter much. You have to live with your parents, so you have to follow their rules. Even when you're 18, they'll still insist on rules if you live in their house, and if you don't follow their rules, they'll probably kick you out.

You might be able to work out some kind of compromise with them, maybe chores in exchange for being able to go places with your friends...but usually the only reason parents put really strict rules in place is if you've had problems in the past.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Unless you have a job that makes enough money to live on and a place to live, whether it's legal or not for you to go places doesn't matter much. You have to live with your parents, so you have to follow their rules. Even when you're 18, they'll still insist on rules if you live in their house, and if you don't follow their rules, they'll probably kick you out.

You might be able to work out some kind of compromise with them, maybe chores in exchange for being able to go places with your friends...but usually the only reason parents put really strict rules in place is if you've had problems in the past.
Very true . Though there are some parents who are just goofy strict as well.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,628,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
The age of consent is 16 in many places, but barring that, are older minors' (17) issues usually not taken with as much seriousness since they are so close to adulthood at that point?

Once your 17, your less than a year from being a legal adult.
I don't think buying cigarettes or voting, those kinds of things are done until 18 no matter what as far as the stores or state goes. Parents might let them smoke and drink at 17, but the laws aren't usually lenient about age from what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting