Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 PM

324 posts, read 573,311 times

Advertisements

Was it everything you thought it would be? I'm still wondering whether I should have children in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Was it everything you thought it would be? I'm still wondering whether I should have children in the near future.

Deciding to have children is a very personal decision. My children have been everything I thought they would be and more. Somedays they are the sweetest kids on earth and others I want to run and hide my head in a hole in the backyard, but I wouldn't change it for anything. Having children is hard work, some heartbreak, but lots and lots of joy. It isn't always be easy but for me it has always been worth it.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
I don't think I ever considered NOT having children....it was more a matter of "when" than "if"....I agree though that parenting was much more than I expected....more work, more tears and heartbreak, more interesting, more fun and more rewarding.....I wouldn't change it for the world. But I also understand that it's not for everyone.....

Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 PM

758 posts, read 1,873,353 times
I also never considered not having kids. It sure isn't like I thought it would be most days though. I always had this vision that I would be a much better parent than mine were. I would sail through parenting and it would be so easy, I wouldn't yell or lose my temper. My kids would be respectful and well behaved just because I treated them nicer than I was. Then they came and blew all my plans out of the water. It's very hard work, it's constant work but I would never think of having it any other way.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,971 times
It never occured to me about having children, even though I'd been married for close to ten years, until my mother announced that my sister who is eight years younger became pregnant. We'd been traveling and moving around and having a good time. I like kids but didn't especially feel the urge when around other peoples kids.

On that news I decided to get pregnant right away so all the cousins would be the same age and moved back home. I wasn't particularly fond of being pregnant, all the changes that your body goes through, I felt like a cow. And childbirth, not easy either. But, after the shock of first being alone with the first one and figuring out what to do, I fell progressively head over heels in love with my kids and still am. Raising them was probably the best time of my life, I had so much fun with them, and miss those days dearly.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
it's not for everyone and I feel sorry for couples who get pressured by their parents to give them grandchildren. It's the hardest work you'll ever have and I admire and do not shun those who reach the conclusion it is not for them. This takes alot of guts as they can be scorned by family and friends as being selfish. But I think it is selfish to have kids for the wrong reasons-keeping a failing marriage together, trying to appease grandparents, to fit in, etc...

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
We kind of just thought "we're almost 30, so we better have 'em if we're gonna have 'em." I love my kids, and they have enriched my life, but some days are really hard. It is harder than I ever imagined.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,141 times
I wanted to have children as soon as I married at age 21, but it was almost a decade before they actually arrived. It was everything I expected and then some. Children turn your life upside-down, but the view from here is wonderful.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,684,225 times
I always knew I wanted to have children. When I was single at 30 I began to doubt that I'd have the family I'd always imagined. Luckily, my DH popped into my life and at 33 I had our first child. The second came two years later. Being a parent is the hardest job you will ever love. It's like walking around with part of your heart outside your body.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,207,874 times
I was with my husband for a few years before we spoke about kids - met in college, went through hard times together (in life, not our relationship). We both decided we wanted to have a house and two good, stable jobs with the ability to not have real money worries (be able to do real vacations, experiences, etc) before having kids. We were together for ten years (three of them married, as of yesterday!) and will be expecting our first son in March.

There are days when I wince about not having gone to Bora Bora yet, and having to give up on certain things I wanted to do (sky diving, which I think would be irresponsible once I have kids), but I've honestly never been happier... and I've had a miserable pregnancy, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting