Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,500,079 times

Advertisements

I had all five of my kids by the time I was 31. In fact my 5th child was born on my 31st birthday. I started at 20. I wouldnt do it any other way. Now I still feel young and am enjoying the grandchildren. I just don't think I would of had the patience to have them when I was older. I still love kids but I don't think I could run around and chase them like I did years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,360,189 times
There is something to be said for having kids younger rather than later. People say that you should wait to do some living before you get tied down with kids. I don't know how long they expect women to wait, till they are 28? I am not sure what kind of living they are experiencing younger than that, anyway. The living I did would not have been adversly affected if I'd had kids then, just a little more challenging (and it was already challenging for other reasons anyway). I say, when you are 38 or whatever, and your kids are out of the house, THEN you'll be ready to do some LIVING, and you will know how to do it.

That being said, If my daughter turned up pregnant at 17, I would not be happy about it. I would be worried about her because, as a mother, I would want to see here through college before having children, as it is just easier. But, what is done is done, and if it happened I would just try to help her accomplish her goals. Frankly it could have easily happened to me, therefor I do not have the right to judge others (however, knowing what I know now, there is no way I will be letting my daughter get away w/some of the stuff my mom let me get away with, that is for sure).

You have your kids, they are here, live your life and pay no attention to what others say. Really, they are just hurtful and their comments serve no purpose. If you can think of a witty comeback, go ahead and use it, otherwise, just shake it off and chalk it up as another jerk putting his foot in his mouth.

Besides, your kids sound well taken care of. I think there are a lot of young mothers who really are just too young to have kids. It is really a maturity thing. My cousin just had a baby at age 20, and I was thinking, OMG, how is that girl going to manage. She just doesn't seem "OLD" enough, and I don't mean the numerical age.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,295,268 times
You know after living on this earth for 42 yrs and having my first child at 19 I have come to the conclusion that people are just rude. They don't ever stop to think about what they say, the proverbial "open mouth insert foot" thing. Just give them that blank stare and walk away, they aren't worth it.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,010,623 times
If you can manage it, then good for you.
I was born to a teen mom who was definitely not ready and had no idea what she was doing. Many a time I felt like I was the parent and she was the child, she just acted so immature.
Plus it was a tad creepy when the guys I dated and the guys she dated were getting closer in age.
My sister on the other hand is also a teen mom, and I admit she really has grown up and matured since.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,065,256 times
You just can't listen to people's opinion, unless you ask for it. Like on this forum, you have asked, but in everyday situations, I take it you are not walking around asking people what they think of you. That said, hold your head up high, stick out your chest since yours are still up on your shoulders and walk proudly!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,180,318 times
I'm a young mother....and my husband is a young father....I was 20 my hubby was 22.....we wouldn't change anything for the world! I absolutely love being a young mother, I wouldn't want it any other way! As long as you are happy with your life who cares what others think.....99 percent of the time it's jealousy anyway

Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,199,240 times
I like the frame of mind that what other people think of me isn't my business. I was 3 weeks shy of 21 when our first was born, and 24 when the second came along. I'm 25 now and we're trying for our third. I've had people mistake my children for my siblings. It doesn't help that I look younger than I am. I can't even buy an R rated movie because I get accused of using a fake ID.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,375,044 times
People gave me dirty looks or would ask "Is that your little sister?" When I'd say that she was mine, I'd get "Wow! How old are you?" (In a rude way).
I was 21 and married, but looked about 17. It was mostly older women that would do this. I always wanted to reply "How old are you?!"

Oh well. When I go to school nights now, I'm usually the youngest Mom there, and it feels great! Just don't let others comments get to you. As long as you are a good Mom, it isn't any of their business!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 AM

788 posts, read 2,114,123 times
I was 18 when I had my oldest and it was tough. Several times I had to deal with rude, mean spirited people and I would just look at them and smile while replying - "I'm young enough to remember the manners that my mother taught me - I guess you're too old to remember manners." or - "Old enough to have a job to support my child." or my FAVORITE - old enough to have sex - maybe if you got some you'd be less interested in my life. That one wasn't nice - but it was the most fun to say!

When you respond back it shuts them up. But honestly - people will find something to say about most anything. I figure if that's the worst thing someone could say about me I was doing okay!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM

650 posts, read 2,181,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
People gave me dirty looks or would ask "Is that your little sister?" When I'd say that she was mine, I'd get "Wow! How old are you?" (In a rude way).
I was 21 and married, but looked about 17. It was mostly older women that would do this. I always wanted to reply "How old are you?!"

Oh well. When I go to school nights now, I'm usually the youngest Mom there, and it feels great! Just don't let others comments get to you. As long as you are a good Mom, it isn't any of their business!
I hear stuff like that ALL THE TIME! I was 20 when I had my first and I look really young. People can be SO rude!

Another question I hear all the time is: Are they all HIS? (referring to my Hubby) People automatically assume that we are a blended family because we started so young.

And, in case anyone else was wondering... They are all his!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting