Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,713 times

Advertisements

Well it happened. Our 11 yr old started feeling sick on wednesday afternoon, came home, went straight to bed and has hardly done a thing since.

Took her to the Doc this morning (friday)....H1N1.

It's no shock to us really. People all around us have been catching it. It was only a matter of time before it made it's way to us.

Her symptoms (if you're interested) slight fever around 101, fatigue, loss of appitite, sore.....and that's all I'm aware of. This isn't the black plague that the media makes it out to be. She doesn't even really seem as bad as the regular flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Her symptoms (if you're interested) slight fever around 101, fatigue, loss of appitite, sore.....and that's all I'm aware of. This isn't the black plague that the media makes it out to be. She doesn't even really seem as bad as the regular flu.
Yep, agreed. People are way too paranoid for their own good. I mean, look up the statistical death rate for 'regular' flu and then for H1N1.

Anyway, hang in there. Should be about three days for her to start on the upswing. Least that's what it has been with the friends of mine who have come down with it. Meanwhile you know the drill -- liquids and rest.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,817,667 times
I hope she feels better soon!

I'm glad you posted about this because the media has us all scared to death about this flu.

I have three kids from ages 12 to 6 and I have no intention of getting them the H1N1 shot. My reasoning is that the government hasn't tested this vaccination. My son had autism (he no longer has a diagnosis) and since they did not proven that vaccinations did not give him autism, I guess I'm overly cautious of anything doctors and the government tells us to do.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,477 times
I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is not feeling well. Hope she gets over it soon and none of the rest of you come down with it as well.

Some neighbors of a friend just got over having it in their home (everyone in the house got sick) and the mother said it felt like having Mono for 3-4 days. They had the headaches, cough, sore throats, body aches and lower grade fevers as well as that overall feeling of fatigue and no appitite. The local doctors and hospital didn't test them for the H1N1 but the doctors were pretty sure that is what they had. I don't think they even got the Tamiflu for it, but I'm not sure. I think they are reserving the Tamiflu here for paitents who are at higher risks of having complications.

I really do not think it's as bad as the media and what not have made it out to be either. I'm sure that anyone who comes down with it probably feels like death warmed over and that it's horrible, but I think that most people who come down with are going to be fine. Yes there are chances of there being complications that can lead to death, but there are just as many chances of having complications with any virus.

Just keep monitoring you daughter and if something doesn't seem right or feel right then get her to a hospital or doctor ASAP. Otherwise just give her plenty of rest and fluids.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
My feeling is that these mild illnesses are helpful to the body because they stimulate the immune system, give it a good workout, keep it tuned up. There is also some research that indicates that these illnesses are helpful because they weed out the weaker cells of the body, the damaged cells that could be pre-cancerous.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,945,479 times
I now know 6 families claiming that their children & they have had H1N1.

None of their children missed more than 3 days of school.

Either a)they are liars (this IS possible) or b)H1N1 is one big giant politically motivated FAKE "epidemic".

My theory is that it's "b", with a bit of "a" sprinkled on top... lots of people out there trying to garner a bit of sympathy out of this circus. Kind of like the economy troubles. More folks I know have been hurt by their own greed and foolish choices than by any "economy" troubles, but they are blaming it ALL on something other than themselves.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,713 times
Well....we don't really have any reason to lie about it. If it was the regular flu or something else I wouldn't bother posting about it. I could care less.

And most of the people we've had contact with around here who have said they had H1N1 it's been very mild. Missed a few days of school or work but were back to normal in nothing flat. A football player at the high school caught it and was back on the field after only 3-4 days.

So I would point toward the direction of "b".

It's just another strain of flu....and it's probably not even as bad as what we've already had....big deal I say. It's a perfect example of the media running wild with a story and sensationalizing it.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,284,555 times
Thanks for posting drjones96, it is nice to know what the symptoms were and hope she is feeling better soon.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,518,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Well....we don't really have any reason to lie about it. If it was the regular flu or something else I wouldn't bother posting about it. I could care less.

And most of the people we've had contact with around here who have said they had H1N1 it's been very mild. Missed a few days of school or work but were back to normal in nothing flat. A football player at the high school caught it and was back on the field after only 3-4 days.

So I would point toward the direction of "b".

It's just another strain of flu....and it's probably not even as bad as what we've already had....big deal I say. It's a perfect example of the media running wild with a story and sensationalizing it.
Great to hear her case is mild as are most who get the regular seasonal flu & so on. Not a fun thing to catch, but lots of proper rest, liquids and some TLC does the child good!

I also believe the media has made this a big thing to "fear" and be "scared" when illness does & always will happen no matter how vaccinated or unvaccinated one is.

But, let's not underplay those children who have died who were perfectly normal or the ones who will this year of the seasonal flu. There is some strong evidence of coinfections in perfectly fine children who have died from this new strain and it was very quick.

May not be a "big deal" to you, but it is to those who have been hosptalized or have died.

Be your own advocate. Keep your children home from school, sporting events, and the store when they are sick. Use common sense. Don't let the media run your life but at the same time don't be so complacent or above it all that you don't think something more serious could happen.

Every time my children have been sick, I take a moment to be grateful that they were healthy enough to rebound from it & we have insurance to take them to the doctor if necessary.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,278,614 times
Sorry your daughter is sick. Prayers for her health~ We have had a lot of swine flu here in Dallas, and yeah, I have also heard some say that they didn't even get as sick as with the regular flu. The concerning thing, however, has been that we have had severaldeaths with it of people who were not elderly and did not have pre-existing conditions which would have make them susceptible. (Some were teen-agers and one was 11 years old.) One of the deaths here in Dallas, however, they determined was actually from the "regular" flu, not H1N1. Most people seem to be recovering from it just fine, but the unexpected deaths do make you realize, however, that we may be dealing with something a little more unusual than what we've seen previously.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-09-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting