Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 03:08 PM

177 posts, read 816,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickens View Post
Ok, I have to weigh in...Why give your kid a u-neek (sic) name? Do you want them to be unemployed?

Why give corporate america one more reason for passing on an applicant? HR is busy. If they can't pronounce the name or they have pre conceived notions about people with kr8tive names--they could move along to the next resume.

Also, alot of these names sound like stipper monikers!

Please stick to the classics. A "different" name can be a liability in the future!

I'm afraid that I agree with this person regarding these 'unique' names - they all sound for the most part as though they have been made up on the back of a cigarette packet after a heavy nights' drinking!!!!! Alot of them don't sound unique anyway, they sound flippant and disrespectful to the child. As though her name is a bit of a joke (which it will be when she has that unfortunate rite of passage to get through called school)

Wasn't it only recently that Actor, Bruce Willis' daughter 'Tallulah' said she couldn't stand her name, had never liked it and was getting it changed by deed pole to just 'Lula' - her father agreed to her wishes as well. Also David Bowies' son was called Zowie to rhyme with Bowie and now he is just known as 'Joe'. Don't blame him either.

Also what about spelling as well, I have an unusual surname no one can spell properly or pronounce either - I married it too - perhaps I should go back to my maiden name!!!???!!! I hate, hate, hate spelling it out and having to correct people's mispronounciation of it!!!UGH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:27 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,186,269 times
and let us not forget Courtney Cox named her daughter CoCo and Gwenyth Paltrow named hers Apple, Valerie Bertinelli's son is Wolfie-I mean can you believe some of that? I don't shock easily but those names and a few others threw me. Poor Tallulah-awful and my apologies if there are any members here with that name. Demi's other daughter's got original yet cute names: Rumor and Scout. I wouldn't stop with Lula; I would change it totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof3 View Post
I'm afraid that I agree with this person regarding these 'unique' names - they all sound for the most part as though they have been made up on the back of a cigarette packet after a heavy nights' drinking!!!!! Alot of them don't sound unique anyway, they sound flippant and disrespectful to the child. As though her name is a bit of a joke (which it will be when she has that unfortunate rite of passage to get through called school)

Wasn't it only recently that Actor, Bruce Willis' daughter 'Tallulah' said she couldn't stand her name, had never liked it and was getting it changed by deed pole to just 'Lula' - her father agreed to her wishes as well. Also David Bowies' son was called Zowie to rhyme with Bowie and now he is just known as 'Joe'. Don't blame him either.

Also what about spelling as well, I have an unusual surname no one can spell properly or pronounce either - I married it too - perhaps I should go back to my maiden name!!!???!!! I hate, hate, hate spelling it out and having to correct people's mispronounciation of it!!!UGH!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,019,435 times
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.
I appreciate it!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,923 times
Talking Help me!

Hello to everyone ,

This is my first time on here, but was just browsing as I have my first baby possibly in July, my due date is 19th. They say after two scans that it is a girl, so I am anxiously looking for a girl's name . I would like an unusual name but not too silly. My partner already has a little girl called Scarlett which I love, so I have to consider this name when naming my child too. Plus my name is Simone, which you don't get very often either.

The names which I have come with are:
D'arcy
Autumn
Bobbie
Fallon
Harmony
Harley
Heaven
Trinity
Kiera
Kenia

and I am also looking for a middle name, which I have spotted on here: 'Jewel' which is pretty.

All of the names which I have come up with, just don't seem to have it all for me, I just can't decide and as seen as I am supposed to have this baby in 6 weeks I am panicking.. Please help.... Any ideas at all welcome, something unsual and pretty. Thank you.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM

250 posts, read 934,098 times
I don't know that my daughters names are unique, but they are definately not popular;

Jade Mackenzie
Piper Allyson

Old 06-06-2007, 12:52 PM

I know a little girl who's name is

Heaven Lee

I thought that was totally original and way cute!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 AM

560 posts, read 2,191,058 times
My daughter's name is Jazlyne and we call her "Jazzy". We went with that instead of Jazmine because of the whole Aladdin thing My other daughters are Ashleigh, Karlee, and Quinn.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM

47 posts, read 39,361 times
Default Watch what you name them, it may bite them in the a** later!!

My daughter's name is Kyra Friday. No, she was not born on a Friday. Actually was born on thurs. But you know how kids can be, they will pick on those with the most unusual names. I also have 2 nieces, named Ariah Forest and Trinity Alexander. All of which are unique names, good luck and congrats to you.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:28 PM

11 posts, read 36,651 times
CHEYANNE- pronounced shy-anne

Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
My daughter's name is Jazlyne and we call her "Jazzy". We went with that instead of Jazmine because of the whole Aladdin thing My other daughters are Ashleigh, Karlee, and Quinn.
That's a COOL twist on Jazmine! I will suggest it to my daughter!
I do like the Jazzy nickname
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting